This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:03 AM

Sergeant

Lighthorse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Worst PC Decision

What happen to you, Atricities is why I only buy Dell computer Online with a 3 year warranty now. The best computer I had was a MacII back in the mid-80's, I later switched over to PC's. The so call saving build your own never really work out in the long run. Got a good friend that does a good part time business repairing other build at home computers that were bought a Frys.
Never had a computer that failed completely, but I had my share of problems, both hardware and software. All the computer constructers I work with now have Dell laptops and for a good reason. Our work Dell laptop mother board failed twice, harddrive arch out by a tiny screw, battery failed, etc. Dell responded within 24 hours and fixed it every time, no question asked. Got a called from a Dell engineers group making sure that I was happy with my Dell laptop. I did extended the warranty anther two years for that laptop.
When I had a Sony computer I to ship it away for three weeks for warranty repair, that sucks. Dell at home warranty can't be beat. I will only purchase Dell computer with they at 3 yrs. home warranty. You can always extended it later.
For the record, only had to call Dell for some technical support, never a warantry repair for my two home conputers. Got they Dimension 8200 and 8300. Great Computer.

Next time Artocities purchase a Dell XPS Dimension gaming computer with a 3 yrs warantry. That my next purchase (maybe if the wife allows it)

Lighthorse

Lighthorse

[ May 17, 2004, 23:03: Message edited by: Lighthorse ]
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Well, sounds like you learned valuable skills, at least.
Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
I took the parts the shop swapped and used them in my old computer. I picked up a cheap MB for the AMD 1.0 and used all my old parts to make a fairly good second PC. The GeForce 2 card they game me was better than the one that was in the computer so I scored there. I sold this second system for about $500.00 bucks to a co-worker.

The old parts from that computer I put in my P2 300 and sold to my brother for $200.00.

The old parts from the P2 300 I sold to my neighbor for $100.00.

He then paid me $200.00 to rebuild his PC. (A 20 minute job.)

So I made near around $1,000 dollars to offset the cost of the Blue Box.

When my rebuilt computer* was stolen at TribesCon3, the insurance company, minus my deductible, paid me at replacement value. I used part of that money to rebuilt my p2 400 which I used as a back up for a year before it finally died and I ended up with this HP POS as a gift.

And then we get into the HP story which I will leave to you forum minors to find the thread on.

*A compac AMD 750 that my mom gave me that I cleaned up and put a cheap Geforce 2 card in. ran great up until it was stolen at TribesCon while I was in my room sleeping.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

There is something to be said about building your own computer. Most of the parts are warrenteed and in most cases, not all, but most the warrentees are good.

I learned two valuable lessons as a result of my experience.
1. Always buy using a VISA. In most states you as a consumer are protected and can dispute charges if you can prove that the item was defective and you could not return it.

2. ALWAYS, make damn sure that the people who work on your computer SIGN the inlet sheet and that that sheet lists EVERYTHING in your computer.

Oh ya, one Last lesson, Buyer Beware when it comes to Fry's Electronics.
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Corporal

Solymr is on a distinguished road

I have to say Atrocities, this is the probably the worst story I've heard. A magazine here called APC has a section called Watchdog where people with problems with immoral computer stores write in and the magazine tries to sort out whos in the wrong. The company's are usually for cooperative if this happens, since bad publicity can destroy a buisness. I disagree with people claiming pre-built PCs are better (easier I agree with, but I always take the hard path), but I guess I've never had anything like that happen to me before (only problem I've really had was a dud power supply).

I believe that putting together my own computer is probably the best thing I could have done. I researched and choose the parts to use, rather then having some guy going for the cheapest alternative. I've learned alot from doing it myself as well, through trial and error (no more being swayed by fancy talk from a slick salesman for me). But I think the best thing about doing it myself is that upgrading isn't such a major chore. I do it all in a few hours and if I have a problem, I know I'm not going to try cover it up with inferior parts. My computer is not a static affair that in 3 years will be out of date, it will change, grow and evolve as I upgrade and change parts. Yeah it can be a bit of a pain to do it myself if I hit a bump, but I just don't trust my computer with anyone else.

Yeah I guess its an obsession, but I hate giving control of what my system will have or not have in it to other people. Its my money and I'd rather know exactly what I'm buying, there are just way too many unscrupulous and unqualified computer stores in my city. But at the end of the day its all personal preference, you say potato and I say pota....umm yeah.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The bad thing about the pre-build computers is the service when you need it. HP has atrocious serves since all the technical calls are routed to INDIA. These people hate us and all they can do is recommend a reinstall of the OS, often leading to more problems, or that you send in the entire computer to be "fixed" which really means that HP is going to send you a inferiour replacement PC and you will never see your computer again.

I don't know about Dells service, but I have heard simular horror stories.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:39 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:

I don't know about Dells service, but I have heard simular horror stories.
Dells service is great. I have dealt with them here at work before and I can't really complain. I think out of all of my calls I have only had once that I got made. It was mostly because I got an India person that knew very little english, usually they know enough to work out a solution to the problem. But they always have a good fix to the problem and I have never had them suggest a reinstall of the OS.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Good for Dell then.
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Well, this was a real case of a bad event morphing into a bad experience. I hope it doesn’t turn you away from home building.

If it makes you feel any better, AMD systems were touchy to set up back then. The VIA chip sets sucked big time and caused a lot of the problems. Now with XP chips and NForce 2 chipsets, AMD is just as easy and reliable as Intel.

Think about it
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

NOOOOOOO Not that! I will telll you everything I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhh