This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 5th, 2001, 10:27 PM

Corporal

Windborne is on a distinguished road
Default Natives

I've seen a lot of stuff in another post, I believe it was the wish list, about native civilizations but all the suggestions either made the races pushovers, or told why other suggestions wouldn't work. So I'm starting this post to propose a system I think would work and still provide a challenge. It may have a few bugs, but I think it can be done. Please tell me what you think.
---------------------------------------------

Native races consist of species which are still confined to their home planet, but are not necessarilly stupid, merely undeveloped. At the beginning of the game you may start out with many of these tiny races each developing in their planetary womb, blissfully unaware of the aliens who have begun to travel from star to star. These races would come in four varieties:

(1) The most basic native race is of course the pushover race with no technology at all, it's civilization hasn't yet reached the industrial age and you can probably take it over really easilly, at the cost of gaining an unhappy population and no new technology at all.

(2) After that comes a race that has reached at least the level of technology we had during the two world wars, they may still be fighting amongst themselves and can build most facilities, small troops, even espionage centers. Destroying them might be easy, conquest would be much harder especially as the game goes on.

(3) Going up on the scale you reach the level where the natives are putting up defensive satelites around their world, they may also be able to build fighters to explore and defend their system. A race with very basic space travel like us in 1985-1990.

(4) Finally you reach a level of technology where the first space stations are going up, this is a race that has just begun reaching for the stars but hasn't yet developed the technology to colonize any other planets or build ships capable of traversing warp the points.

One advantage of this system is that the "Native races" could build up over time as other races died off or were conquered. If a class two race was destroyed suddenly a class one native civilization somewhere in the galaxy might enter the industrial age, and if a class three civilization was destroyed later on that class two might suddenly begin lofting it's first satellites. Eventually class four natives would be elegable to become minor races, and minor races could graduate to becoming full players when I eventually destroy the vile Turlog Empire! LOL
Old March 5th, 2001, 10:35 PM

Corporal

DirkHowitzer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Natives

Sounds like a great idea if it can be implemented. Tell MM.

One problem that I see, however, is with your idea of the natives graduating to higher class levels. Keep in mind that 10 turns equals a year, so even if your game Lasted 1000 turns that would only be, in reality, 100 years...that, again in reality, is not enough time for races to realistically develop from one level of technology to the other, except, perhaps in the case of going from your 3rd to 4th levels...even then, it would take the entire game for them to do so.

Still I think most of the concept was a great idea. I have mentioned before that I would also like to see the number of neutrals expanded.

------------------

"He's dead, Jim."-- Lt. Commander Leonard "Bones" McCoy |Chief Medical Officer / USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)

He's dead, Jim.-- Lt. Commander Leonard Bones McCoy |Chief Medical Officer / USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
Old March 5th, 2001, 10:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

I like the idea but why do we assume the are underdeveloped? Why not a race of techincally superior beings who have figured out how to make do on only one planet and have no desire to expand?
I'd like to see neutrals who had superior weapons then they wouldn't be such pushovers.
Old March 5th, 2001, 10:51 PM

Corporal

Dirkhowitzer:

Keep in mind how little the tech level changes from one class to another, twenty years from 1950 to 1970 was enough to put us from the world war era all the ways into the space age, and ten years after that Mere was going up. Some races may be smarter then us, others may take much longer to progress, especially if you make the chance of any one race advancing small and only let them advance when a higher ranking race has been destroyed. Of course usually i play with other human players so our games Last a minimum of four to five hundred turns in a large galaxy without the ability to steal/trade techs.

I didn't suggest such a race because minor races that start out with only one colonizable planet in their system seem to fit the bill perfectly, though it might be fun to create such a minor race with a special text file to make them seem old wise and maybe a bit tired.

[This message has been edited by Windborne (edited 05 March 2001).]
Old March 6th, 2001, 12:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lerchey is on a distinguished road

Also consider the option of a native race that *could* develop space faring technology, but is not motivated to do so. Such races could have advanced weaponry, large weapons platforms, satellites, fighters, etc., and just not make space ships.

A race on a single planet, call it large and well developed, with a massive planetary shield generator, a well developed industrial base, lots of high-tech fighters, and a pile of weapons platforms, could be a tough nut to crack.

Just a thought...

- John
Old March 6th, 2001, 12:11 AM

Sergeant

Baal is on a distinguished road

I like this idea. It sounds like it could be easy to stick pre-space flight races in. just make neutrals that have no colonization tech.

I think that neutrals should get a bouns on their weapons. Like a racial modifier that gives them insane power or extreme range on all the normal weapons with out having to edit the weapons tables.

Give a neutral race a sphere world in the beginning. They researched all the stuff to make planets and made themselves a sphere world and moved into it. Now that would be a tough nut to crack.
Old March 6th, 2001, 12:53 AM

Corporal

DirkHowitzer is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Windborne:
Dirkhowitzer:

Keep in mind how little the tech level changes from one class to another, twenty years from 1950 to 1970 was enough to put us from the world war era all the ways into the space age, and ten years after that Mere was going up. Some races may be smarter then us, others may take much longer to progress, especially if you make the chance of any one race advancing small and only let them advance when a higher ranking race has been destroyed. Of course usually i play with other human players so our games Last a minimum of four to five hundred turns in a large galaxy without the ability to steal/trade techs.

You make a good point. I guess I should've said perhaps natives starting out before the industrial age shouldn't be allowed to advance...after all it took us thousands of years to get to the industrial age. After that things progressed much more quickly. Unless, of course, this particular civilization progressed more quickly than we mere humans;-).

As for neutrals getting bonuses and such, I've always opposed this as well due to another realism factor. In the real world how long would little "neutral" country such as Cuba, Switzterland, Panama, etc...Last against a much larger power such as the US if we really decided that we wanted that country? Not very long...I do think, however, that a diplomatic penalty should be charged to the Empire that slaughters the neutrals because, once again alluding to the real world, if the USA ever decided to decimate some small nation such as Cuba/Switzerland/Panama, etc...the worldwide outrage would be enormous. Trade sanctions would be imposed etc...Therefore I don't think neutrals should be given bonuses, but I do think they should be protected by the fact the the other AI's would hate you if wiped the neutrals out. Kind of like in MOO 2 when the AI's got angry when you used biological weapons and the like.

------------------

"He's dead, Jim."-- Lt. Commander Leonard "Bones" McCoy |Chief Medical Officer / USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)

He's dead, Jim.-- Lt. Commander Leonard Bones McCoy |Chief Medical Officer / USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
Old March 6th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Another way to protect the neutral races would be to give them special racial techs.

Then if you wipe them out, the techs are lost, but if you keep them alive, you can capture their ships & use the flux capacitor cannon that they put on.

PS: the flux cannon would be somthing like the temporal shift-em-to-beginning-of-time device, but would smear the ship out over all time instead.
Old March 6th, 2001, 05:00 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

Once discovered, natives might advance much more quickly than they would otherwise progress if left undisturbed. That is a dominant theme in many sci-fi sagas. For instance, how many StarTrek episodes mention the "prime directive?"

Remember, in SEIV there are supposed to be scads of independent traders roaming the galaxy. The unscrupulous ones would be willing to trade technology for a green Orion slave girl.

Plus, empires would have their own reasons for "helping" the "natives." I think a good example would be native populations on Earth who encountered European empires. It didn't take the Plains Indians (e.g., Lakota Sioux) very long to incorporate metal knives, horses, and rifles into their culture.
Old March 6th, 2001, 06:42 PM

Corporal

It's hard to imagine a stone age culture STAYING stone age for long after my ships enter the system, for one thing it would be in my best interest to give them a gift of, for example, mining technology so they could trade with me. And if I ever planned on conquering them I'd want to make sure that:

(A) They had something built on the planet I could use
(B) they were somehow defended against my rival human players, ground troops and one of MY space stations in the air at the least. lol

Which brings up a point I had not thought about, how much of my technology should a level 1 culture be able to understand? There should certainly be limits or we'll all simply raise the natives up to full player status in a few turns.

I suggest that we limit them to level one of anything they couldn't research themselves, and block their ability to gain certain techs at all, things like steller manipulation for example.