.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road
Default Okay, help needed with something:

I'm trying to make an device whose function depends on having another item in the cargo hold. My problem is that you can't set conditions in a device data block (or at least I don't know how to) so I hit upon the idea of making the device do one thing: set a user defined variable to "on" which I had initialized to "off" in a quest (the quest that loads both of the items in question).

So then there's one PAGE in the quest that looks for both items and for the UVAR to be on. But generally what happens is that I push the button, and nothing happens until I pick up on of the two items, and then I get the quest PAGE that indicates that I was missing one of the items and so nothing happened. I even set each to pop up their own display windows. This quest worked beautifully when it was just two items and if you ever had them both, it'd just go off, but now that I changed it to give the player the option of doing it, nothing.

Things I already thought of: I set DISP 1 just to make sure it'd pop up a window from scratch. I make sure to reset it to off in both the success and failure windows so that it will be ready to use again.

I can click the USE button a hundred times, but I don't think the game looks through the quests until something is moved around. But then I tried picking up unrelated items and got nothing. It only goes off when I pick up one of the haveitem items.

Any ideas?
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Private

PaddirN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Okay, help needed with something:

Just an idea, but you could make two versions of the device, say 'dv_device' and 'dv_device1' along with whatever the other required item is, let's call it 'it_item'. dv_device would be a dummy device that wouldn't really do anything, unless you wanted a popup telling the player that they need it_item. dv_device1 would be the real device that does whatever you're looking for it to do.

Make a quest with an always FLAG that checks to see if you haveitem dv_device and it_item. If both conditions are true then it removes dv_device from your inventory and replaces it with dv_device1 (both items would be almost identical, so the only way player would really notice anything is when the cargo hold got rearranged). The biggest drawback to this that I can think of is that if the player got rid of it_item they would still be holding onto dv_device1, which might not make sense if they're supposed to hold onto both for it to work.
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Okay, help needed with something:

Well, the problem (I think) is the evaluation of the conditions. Like when you use the first item, it changes the variable that you want, but then you have to wait for some kind of event to send the game rummaging through the quests to see if any conditions have been satisfied.

I've got the nondevice version in my game right now, and I'm trying to get a preliminary version of the mod out by this weekend. We shall see what happens with that. I'll probably return to this device after I've added more quests.

But thanks. I'll tinker around with the dummy items just to see what it does.