.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Sergeant

Psientist is on a distinguished road
Default Ideas for Quests and Items

While making my mod, I kept coming up for ideas that I thought would make fun items and quests. I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share their ideas, and maybe future modmakers - or the game developers - might create some of them in the future!

Here are a few I thought of. Having looked at the guidelines, I think they are all possible.

- "Force Field" - a system item that adds to shield strength, but also acts as a short-short-range weapon

- "Cloak sensor" - grants hypervision (you can see cloaked ships in combat)

- "Blink Thrusters" - grant short-range space folding like Zorg fighters

- "Scavenger hunt" - a quest where one item takes you to another planet, in exchange for an item that takes you to yet another planet... etc.

- "Puzzle" - a quest where you need to bring a number of items together at the same time, perhaps to the same place. Perhaps you could assemble these into a new special ship or something.
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Ideas for Quests and Items

Weapon ideas:
- "Mine Launcher" - slow moving projectiles with long life, but detonate large, perhaps on proximity?

- "Fractal Gun" - point defense - that uses three stages of projectile, each splitting in two or three (branching out)

- "Chain Lightning Gun" - using three stages - each stage / impact produces two weaker lightning beams that use the "homing" flag to find other targets

- "Flak Cannon" - produces large, slow, short range projectile clouds that block beams and missiles before being destroyed

- "Scanning Beam" - In Star Trek, the Federation scanned for cloaked vessels using some sort of energy grid. Perhaps some sort of wide angle beam, super fast, that does almost no damage - but blankets the area in front and reveals cloaked ships by the impact effects. Probably would also knock out any missiles.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Private

MRdred is on a distinguished road

Some kind of semi organic technology wich takes over ships (planets?) and has to be stopped has alway floating around in my mind. Of course that means a second ship model for EVERY implemented ship.

If i find the time, perhaps.
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Private

blargue is on a distinguished road

I was thinking it would be cool to make a game alteration where all of your ally ships become boardable hulks when they are destroyed and when you board them you retrieve the ship and all of its items in critical condition. The explantation for this would be that your captain is some sort of godly mechanic, capable of repairing anything. The reason for the mod would be so that you can enter riskier fights without having to be concerned about losing points for lost allys. It would open up battle to a completely new kind of combat strategy. The only problem is you probably can't make the reward for boarding the ship dependent on the ship and its components.

Another mod (though probably a pain in the arse to create) would be to give every single ship in the game (kawangi etc) the possibility of being a ship that, once destroyed, becomes a boardable hulk and can be retrieved as a new ally ship. Sure, the balance of the game might be thrown off a little on occassion but this game was never about balance anyway.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Sergeant

"Structural integrity field" - gives ram-reinforcement capability to hulls (I forget what the FLAG name is for this)
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Sergeant

"Replicators" - a ship with a fighter bay that produces itself! If done reasonbly slowly, this could represent a nanobot replicator-type vessel (like on Stargate), or a larger vessel that can hold a "gate" open for backup vessels. Could easily get out of hand or crash the game, I imagine...
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:48 AM

Corporal

ImUrOBGYN is on a distinguished road

What if you had a quest where if you found all the small ships on the map, you could form a larger ship not unlike transformers or a million other cartoons/anime? Don't know if that's even possible.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM

Sergeant

well, you could set variables in quests that give "component" ships to the player... and a quest that looks to see you have all the user variables set that are necessary (e.g., "head=true", "leftarm=true", "rightarm=true" etc) and gives a new ship when all are together...

But I don't think there is a quest command to REMOVE an existing ship from a player fleet, which would be necessary. i'm sure there's a way, but one of the game developers would have to share that.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:52 AM

Corporal

ImUrOBGYN is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it's almost possible. If you find out it's possible, let me know, please. Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Sergeant

An "upgrade station". first, it requires a quest item - a key or something for trade. Second - it will look for items that you have and swap one for the next, better item.

For example, if you have the "hyperfilter array", it will take that away and give you the "signature projector". Or a beam type weapon, or a projectile weapon, or the repair systems, or the sensor systems.

With random quests with the same KEY, you could make it random which technology gets upgraded.