.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old December 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Private

ScreamerSimon is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion: (Open) Content Database

Hi all,

first of all I want to send a big "Thank You!" to the developers for the content-heavy patch, which brought new live to the community.
Weird Worlds is a very good game, which becomes just fantastic by its mod-friendliness and those dedicated fans making it even weirder/harder/bigger/funnier, more colourful/challenging/complex...

I think a lot of players (including myself) here and the few other forums have lots of ideas for ships, items, quests, weapons that would sure improve fun for everyone, but are never brought to live. Some (still including myself) don't have the time, some are only good at graphics, some only at coding, some just have the right ideas...

So why not join our skills and create a kind of OPEN CONTENT DATABASE which can be used for any mod, as long as the original author is mentioned?

To give a basis for discussion this could look like this concept:
1. The database has the following main groups:
a) Ships
b) Weapons
c) Races
d) Items/Passengers
e) Events
f) Quests

2. Each group has itemized threads, with a standardized structure, like:
a) Ideas
b) Graphics/Sounds
c) Code (INI-files)
d) FINAL
Example: Someone has an idea of a cannon which only damages a ships systems but not the hull. He creates a threat named "EMP-Cannon" in the Weapons group and gives a description in "Ideas". Someone other likes the idea and creates a nice picture and a sound and posts it, another one writes the code. The one creating the last part moves everything in the final folder, including a text file saying: EMP-Cannon; idea by X, code by Y, ... Everyone may now use this for his mod, as long as it is used under the name "EMP-Cannon" with the original files, also including the text file in his mod folder. Disputes and changings could be decided by the community using polls. Of course you can post a fully finished product as well.

What are your opinions on an OPEN CONTENT DATABASE? Could this actually work, would you bring in your knowledge on another one's ideas? Any critics, suggestions, comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance and for reading this far.

ScreamerSimon
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Corporal

Ace_Garp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestion: (Open) Content Database

I think this is a fine idea!
Anything to help spur along more mods.
I've had loads of little ideas for things (events mainly), but a mod made up just of extra events may be overdoing it a little, and the fact that I cannot draw, means that these may never see the light of day.
I have also offered my services as a musician (well ok - sound maker ;-) many times, but had no offers yet.
If this idea went ahead, I could just scan through the ideas that others are working on, make up some music or sound effects, post them, and say "there, use that if you want".
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Private

ScreamerSimon is on a distinguished road

Hi Ace_Garp,

thanks for your positive Feedback on this idea. The thing I'm most interested in at this point is a comment from the DigitalEel/Shrapnel guys if they would host this database. Otherwise we could start this project (no idea where an how by now) and see how it develops. I have a lot of ideas and concept scetches to throw in as "feed capital".
And good to hear that we have a skilled man for sound already, as both hard to find and important for this game.

Anxiously waiting for more feedback,
ScreamerSimon
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:33 AM

Private

PaddirN is on a distinguished road

Seems to me like you could just start something like that up on this board if you wanted to, just start up separate threads for each category and if the boys at Shrapnel were feeling extra nice they might make them into sticky-posts at the top.