This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kwok\'s next Mod

Not really; the guy with the transports will still have warships, able to fight back against the small early game fleets fielded against him. And over time, he will get far, far ahead. I've yet to see it play out any differently in any of the PBW games with such mods I've been in.

Unless you get really lucky and have a successful blitzkrieg, early game warfare in multiplayer usually causes you to lose the game (and often the person you duke it out with). Not expanding is a death wish.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

One useful addition would be seeker decoys - low-cost seekers intended to absorb point-defense fire (rather like MIRVs) giving actual missiles, fighers or drones a better chance to get through a heavy PD defence (which otherwise tends to negate the whole point of seekers).

Another would be external mounts that provide extra tonnage on ship designs, but with the downside of making the components installed on them more vulnerable to battle damage - handled perhaps by restricting these to Armour slots and reducing the structure of the component in question? (this would provide an alternative use for Armour slots given the suggested changes to actual armour posted above).

As for ship design, how about requiring the use of space station shipyards for building larger classes? The rationale for this is that larger constructions would need to be assembled in-orbit - gamewise it would give more reason for using space stations (currently weapon platforms outdo them for planet defense and planet space yard facilities have better build rates).
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of removing auto-fire ability from the point defense in SE4. Then you never know what will happen.

For SE5, there is a nice option for leaky PD utilizing the poission distribution.
1) Set PD guns to -999% to-hit. (IE: guarantee the 1% hit chance despite all bonuses)
2) Set reload time to ~50ms
3) Set the damage to 999
4) Set the PD projectile speed very high, or make it a beam.
5) Disable the PD animations, or at least make them short and simple; flak bursts perhaps.
6) Disable the sound effects, or possibly make them VERY VERY quiet so that 100 of them overlapping isn't speaker-blowingly loud.

Improved PD potency comes from increased range and additional PD guns.
Improved PD penetration comes from increasing seeker speed and larger volleys.

You get 20 shots per second from each PD gun, so the longer the seeker is in range the better your chances.

There is a small chance that you won't shoot down any missiles, but there is also a small chance you will shoot down lots of missiles with just one PD gun. The more the merrier, but nothing is guaranteed, and you get a nice poission distribution of missile-kills.
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:38 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Suicide Junkie said:
I like the idea of removing auto-fire ability from the point defense in SE4. Then you never know what will happen.

It would certainly better approximate real-world point defence, but would likely result in severe performance problems, e.g. large battles with thousands of simultaneous PD rounds - even without graphics, there would still be calculation overheads. A less extreme adjustment (doubling fire rate and halving the damage done) may work better.

My preference would be to supply ways of countering strong PD - decoys are one option and improved (faster, tougher, stealthier) seekers could be another.
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:50 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:

For SE5, there is a nice option for leaky PD utilizing the poission distribution.
1) Set PD guns to -999% to-hit. (IE: guarantee the 1% hit chance despite all bonuses)
2) Set reload time to ~50ms
3) Set the damage to 999
4) Set the PD projectile speed very high, or make it a beam.
5) Disable the PD animations, or at least make them short and simple; flak bursts perhaps.
6) Disable the sound effects, or possibly make them VERY VERY quiet so that 100 of them overlapping isn't speaker-blowingly loud.

Improved PD potency comes from increased range and additional PD guns.
Improved PD penetration comes from increasing seeker speed and larger volleys.

You get 20 shots per second from each PD gun, so the longer the seeker is in range the better your chances.

There is a small chance that you won't shoot down any missiles, but there is also a small chance you will shoot down lots of missiles with just one PD gun. The more the merrier, but nothing is guaranteed, and you get a nice poission distribution of missile-kills.
I like it.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I have implemented it in GGmod, so you can try it out if you like.
Grab the latest version, and copy the stock mainstrings and helptext files to get it running under 1.44
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I'll be sticking sort of close to the Balance Mod's PD system (in terms of timing, damage amounts, etc) but I'd like to put in some counter PD items such as the aforementioned Decoy Missile.

---

Regarding the leaky armor I had posted about earlier. Dropping the armor slots in order to gain leaky armor will be difficult. There's no real way to tell the AI's design algorithm where to place armor in a design - other than in the next top slot (ie lowest numbered open slot) or next bottom slot (ie highest numbered open slot). I think some lobbying efforts to MM to allow for armor slots to be treated as inner/outer slots and subject to directional damage might be the best option.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:55 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

What if you rearranged the slots in the slot-config text file so instead of listing them from top to bottom, you listed them from outside to inside, or vice versa? Sounds like a pain to do but I just thought I'd suggest it...