The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 11th, 2000, 10:54 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Manual in HTML Format ??????

PDF specifies layout. HTML merely provides guidelines; it's up to a browser to determine how to implement the specifics. For instance, the page that I'm looking at right now as I type this message, using Lynx, is radically different than what I'd view using Netscape, which may be different from how it appears under IE or anybody else's browser. There's a lot left up to the browser to determine.

A PDF file, however, should be viewable identically under any true PDF viewer such as Acrobat, with everything specified just so. As such, PDF gives the content author much greater guarantees about what any reader actually sees.

That said, it might be worth chucking the HTML through a converter. I might try that once I get my copy (just ordered. UPS Ground... hopefully it doesn't arrive TOO soon, since I've got a paper deadline coming up, heh...)

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night
Old November 12th, 2000, 05:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Comar is on a distinguished road

I can't believe people actually read the manuals past what they need to know to get started. :} I find them usually to be more trouble than they are worth. I would much rather learn by doing. You make more mistakes, but you can have more fun doing it.
Old November 12th, 2000, 07:14 AM

Private

HistorianB is on a distinguished road

Get the manual up in PDF. Some people like to spend time playing-to-learn. Others prefer reading-to-learn. Any reason why both can't be accommodated?
Old November 12th, 2000, 12:01 PM

Sergeant

Warspite is on a distinguished road

Well people...one good thing about electronic manuals is that the dog can't eat it Also if you have any kids...they can't lose it or spill a drink on it I don't have the game yet but I do plan on getting it.

------------------
-Warspite-
Old November 13th, 2000, 07:28 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

I have all the "tools" to do it (Full Acrobat, etc.) and the web space as well as a commercial web provider. I also should be getting my copy at home today (at work right now - don't tell my boss I'm checking these forums). If it doesn't violate anyones "copyrights" or any other crap, I'll put a .pdf up and post a link on this thread.

[This message has been edited by rdouglass (edited 13 November 2000).]
Old November 15th, 2000, 04:20 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Just moving this to the top. BTW is this a "no-no"? (putting the manual in PDF and posting it).

I have not heard from anyone - how 'bout a reply from Shrapnel with an official stance. I really do like the game and do not want to be like those other guys (in other forums) that are already talking about Warez and crap like that. I bought and paid for my copy 'cause I think it's an awesome game and MM and SG deserves to be paid for their hard work. However, I don't feel that putting the manual in PDF (with NO CHANGES) would violate anyones copyright. It would be one thing if they were selling manuals, but they're not - they're selling games and you cant do diddly without the game.

Thanks,
Old November 15th, 2000, 04:42 PM

Corporal

Jochen Schmidt is on a distinguished road

Well, i can only talk for myself - but, i love it, to sit in a cafe and read the handbook of a really good game.

So, what a pitty, that there isnīt one.

On the other side, to print a manual pushes prices up, especially for a "smaller" companie.

I think, SE4 is a very good game (only played the demo, yet. Still waiting for the full Version to arrive.), even without a printed manual. HTML will do it.

Well, thatīs my opinion.

Greetings to all from Germany

Jochen
Old November 15th, 2000, 04:54 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Guys,

Okay here goes...

The problem is posting a PDF or the html manual just encourages pirates. I spend a large segment of my time hunting down and trying to take down sites that pirate our games. In fact, more than larger publishers, pirating is something that kills us small fish publishers.

That being said if you wish to make a pdf for your personal use by all means do so. But posting it is a violation of copywirght law.

We wish it didn't have to be that way, but to do otherwise will just encourage pirates and take money out of Malfador's and our pockets. If it were up to us we would allow this, but because some folks seem to think stealing sofwtare is legitimate we cannot do that currently.

We could not originally include the large manual, simply because we had a set price and adding the manual would have meant the price going up (which isn't fair to the pre-order folks) or cutting our profits and Malfador's in half.

One other option we are considering is printing the full manual and offering it for 7.95 from our website. This cost would ONLY cover our printing costs and would not represent profit to us, but it might be an option for some of you. If we here enough support for that we might just do it.

------------------
Sarge is coming...

Richard Arnesen
Director of Covert Ops
Shrapnel Games
http://www.shrapnelgames.com
Old November 15th, 2000, 05:12 PM

Corporal

Elmo is on a distinguished road

Richard

Thanks for the update. I probabaly would not buy a printed copy of the manual. HTML works fine for me.

Elmo
Old November 15th, 2000, 05:22 PM

Corporal

greghacke is on a distinguished road

A stated earlier, is it possible to include an in-game link to the full manual? This would aleviate my minimal gripes. A hyperlink that pulls up my browser to the manual (or a specific sectoin of the manual) would be perfect...