.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandarLover View Post
Is it possible to mod some of the greater demon summons as pretender choices? I'm sure it is, but balancing them might be an issue. But I feel like they MUST be available as pretender options, what with metal being the 'Devil's music' and all.
Yeah, I have few ideas rolling about on making a "corrupting" heavy metal star, with references to Black Sabbath. I know that they weren't actually the first to be blamed for hidden satanic messages, but their case is the most famous one. I mean, it's kinda funny, the controversy lead straight into the forming of first Black Metal bands (for those not in the known, Black Metal is "the" metal for church burning, the most hardcore genre.).

Quote:
Prince of Darkness- I believe there is something already similar in game, don't play with the dead nations all that often so I don't recall. But this PoD should be a human sized chassis, similar to a crone but male. He is an ancient rock star who has become so powerful that he seeks to don the mantle of godhood! Though his speech is muttered and often unintelligible, his message of metal in song form is unmistakable! Maybe make him start with Death and Astral magic, strong dominion though methinks.
Eddie will fill the undead pretender niche, but there are basically unlimited slots for heroes and summons (or I could make the Eddie a hero). I really like the unintelligible speech, if we only knew how the make the guy mute from beginning..

Quote:
The Led Zeppelin- A great iron dirigible that has been afloat since time immemorial. I honestly don't know what one could do to make this a viable pretender, I just know that a giant burning Zeppelin MUST be in here somewhere!!
Agreed.

Quote:
A 20 inch replica of Stonehenge- What else is there to say.
I'm sorry, but I'm missing the reference. It's beyond mindnight here, so that might be the cause.

Quote:
Since the advent of grunge killed 80's style metal as we know it
Man'o'War* (still alive, doing records and concerting around the world), might disagree with your assestment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsMadeHeavyMetalFromManoWar
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die
emphasis mine :P

Quote:
I'm still in love with the idea of this mod, and if I actually get any time to sit and make some graphics I'll add them, since I know Burn has his hands full with other, more pressing mods at the moment. And of course, I'll post any other unit/ pretender ideas I can come up with.
Thanks, all ideas and tangible contributions are appreciated.

Quote:
Metallonia (pro.: "metal-OWN-ya")
This is now officially the new nation name. Much better than "Rockon"

Quote:
A hero unit or 2 for each genre of music would be cool too. A flute playing Jethro Tull for Folk
Right, almost forgot of him. Defiantely a hero (He basically started the genre). Nightwish hero or summon is also in the "fleshing out details" stage.

Quote:
a Ronnie James Dio hero (complete with leather armour and broadsword!!) for Hero (?) Metal.
F*ck yeah. I'm actually listening to Dio as I type. Holy Diver? definately in top 5 metal albums of all time. But it's hard to truly confine the awesome man-beast that is Dio into a coherent dom3 unit. The tempatation to give him awe +100 might just prove too much. He will be definately riding a tiger (if you don't get the reference, you need to listen "Holy Diver" a couple times more).

Quote:
One more thing, for one of the genres, progressive I think, you say the fans should be size 6 for their egos. I know this is a silly mod but we want it balanced so I thik instead of making prog fans literal giants, the unit pic should be a reg sized human unit, with an ethereal outline of a much larger representation of them around the reg size unit, the large ethereal part being the manifestation of their ego.
Actually, this was my intention from the beginning. Gameplay wise, they'll be perfect anti-trampler units**. They'll also possess absolutely massive magic resistance and have a armor "Ego Shield". Their high size should also make them good decoys for enemy mages to pester.

*okay, Man'O'War was pretty marginal in the 80's, but anyways...

** There will be a lot of "playing with size" in this mod. There will be a "Frontliner" fan unit with size 1 (with size 2 body). You ever seen how thight people are pacced in the front of the stage? It simply defies geometry.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

For the mini-Stonehenge reference watch This is Spinal Tap!

If you don't have time for that, the run down is, Spinal Tap (Quasi-fictional 80's hair metal band) hires a prop artist to make a replica Stonehenge for their stage show, the manager didn't write the dimensions down correctly, they get a 20 inch Stonehenge model instead of the 20 foot tall one they wanted, midgets dance around mini model and hilarity ensues. It is a great movie and the perfect example of how a mock-umentary is suppose to work.

We need other people in the forums to post suggestions for hero units that correspond to a particular genre. I can name the BIG ONES only because they are indelibly printed into pop culture, regardless of their metal nature. But I know little to nothing about Grindcore, Black metal and Death metal.
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

Played a quick game with the mod and it is ridiculously awesome how fun it is, even in it's bare bones state, to send throngs of metal fans rushing into armed soldiers while metal singers fling lyrical death from afar....though it helps to have a vivid imagination.

Love the band references in the unit description text. Nice flavor! And kudos on the unit pics, both Burn and elmokki.

One idea, and feel free to dismiss it, was to have the nation play similar to LA Ermor or Foodstamp's wonderful Cradle of Gaia mod: Have no recruitable units, save for the singers, who can then autosummon or be set to summon their respective fans, denoting the inherent charisma of the singers. It would be an interesting way to set this nation even more apart, though I imagine it could become micro-management hell.

That's all for now, getting late. Rock on everyone!!
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Here's a rough work-up for St. Anger - probably a unique summon or hero.

"When people first come across St. Anger, they're likely to dismiss him as just another invisible kid. After a while in his vicinity, they soon come to the conclusion that he is some kind of monster. Of course, he's always gone by the time the pitchfork-wielding mob arrives. While descriptions of him are vague at best, almost as if witnesses only saw him through a dirty window, they all recall his catchphrase "I have the unnamed feeling that this is my world". In combat arrows always seem to miss him, and are met with the jeer "shoot me again!"

Stat-wise...
Size 1
Assassin
Stealth +20?
Weapons: Strangle, fist
Air Shield - 80%
Ethereal
Berserker, maybe.

The unit sprite could be a slightly blurred, misty-looking figure with no distinct details - just a greyish figure.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregstrom For This Useful Post:
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Sergeant

Bit of a shameless bump, with a modding question thrown in for good measure.

Is it at all possible to copy the 'Call god' mechanic? I pretty much know the answer is NO but was curious because I thought it would be cool, instead of doing the same old summons, have the singer commanders 'Call' varying monsters of metal, each progressively stronger than the last.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

No.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Sergeant

Boo!

Old October 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Private

HahnHolio is on a distinguished road

Death Singer (eventually Hero or costy Commander)
Code:
#name "Death Singer"
#descr "One of the few Deathmetal shouters, who abandoned his band in favor of wrecking havoc on the world without being 'caged' on stage! They are usually armed with a Microphone ..."
#hp 10
#size 2
#prot 3(some leather and steel applications)
#mor 10
#mr 8(low, coz he is connected to the underworld)
#enc 1
#str 10
#att 8
#def 8
#prec 8
#mapmove 1
#ap 12
#gcost 300
#rcost 2
#holy
#magicskill 8 1 (somewhat of a preacher)
#magicskill 7 1 (learned some basic bloodrites)
#fear 1 (mostly due to visuals and voice)
#weapon * (some number for the MICROPHONE weapon)
#siegebonus 5 (due to extreeme voice, that might shatter even stone)
#end
well just my 2 cent, as im not the real modding nature, but this idea sounds somewhat cool ^^
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HahnHolio For This Useful Post:
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Sergeant

Have been playing a bit of Brutal Legend...have been letting the awesomeness of it percolate in my brain...some great ideas in that game that could translate over to this 'mod that will not be'.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

The Kirkebrenner commander should have heretic and pillager traits, possibly with D1 and a chance for B1