.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer Dwarfs, discussion/hype thread

Okay about the graphics, finally found the dimensions to give them enough detail and make them small enough. I just decided to make them 1 pixeld wider for each pixel I took away from lenght. This allowed me to have some area for details while making them smaller. Gorge your eyes on this:

1. Clansdwarf Crossbow
2. Clansdwarf Heavy Crossbow
3. Clansdwarf Warrior
4. Longbeard
5. Indy commander for size comparison (size 2)
6. Old dwarf sprite for comparison
7. New Clansdwarf Heavy Warrior
8. Bakemono goblin for size comparison.(size 1)

I also bought the 7th edition army book for just this project (since there is no dwarf sourcebook in WRFP). It's quite a lot of awesome, I must admit. I'm currently pondering on ways to include Oathstones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calchet View Post
If you don't mind, I think I could pull off a pretty good tabletop dwarf or seven you could work from - I'm thinking something like the attached mockup sprite, though larger. (That one was mostly to see how small I could get it and still have it look dwarfish.)

(That said, it's as previously mentioned still your mod, and you're free to interpret dwarfs as you please - I might make an alternate set of graphics for my own personal use if I ever get around to it, though.)
Thanks for the spirte, but I'll manage. And yeah, my dwarfs will be a bit different from the WH ones, since WH dwarfs have fallen a bit too deep to the "comical" look I despise with their oversized beards and weaponry (in some cases).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
i support the Dwarrow unit.
MAybe for inspiration you should look warcraft mountain king, they got an avatar ability( avatar= incarnation of a god, right?)as warcraft is partly( a lot) inspired on warhammer.
Vote yes on proposal n°Dwarrow
There will be no dwarrow unit. I just liked the sound of the term. It's just a fluff term I'll use to describe the ancestral dwarf race who built the foundations of dwarf society. This way I won't have to repeat "ancestor" all over and over.

The closest thing to a dwarrow unit in this mod will be perhaps the three custom pretenders modeled after Grimnir, Grugni and Valaya.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post

There will be no dwarrow unit. I just liked the sound of the term. It's just a fluff term I'll use to describe the ancestral dwarf race who built the foundations of dwarf society. This way I won't have to repeat "ancestor" all over and over.

The closest thing to a dwarrow unit in this mod will be perhaps the three custom pretenders modeled after Grimnir, Grugni and Valaya.
That mean i'll have to do it myself.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Excellent work Burn, the new dwarves look great.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Personally I didn't think the original dwarf sprites were that bad. But I agree, these look more like dwarfs and less like short humans.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Wow, those sprites are beautiful!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

Indeed, those are much better, and actually look very dwarfish.

(To offer some sort of constructive critique, I'd suggest lengthening their armour if you want a more tabletop feel to them - dwarf armour usually include metal skirts of sorts that protect the legs and expose only the feet.)
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Agree with Calchet re: longer armour.

Other than that, really big improvement - look very nice now. Especially longbeards.

I'd still give them an extra pixel or two on the axes.
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calchet View Post
(To offer some sort of constructive critique, I'd suggest lengthening their armour if you want a more tabletop feel to them - dwarf armour usually include metal skirts of sorts that protect the legs and expose only the feet.)
Yeah, I know, I have 7th edition army book now. I'm sort of saving up on the effect of the skirt armor. I'm still not sure if I can make the elites different enough from the basic troops, so I'm being conservative with my tricks (for now). If I manage to make the elites look different without giving the long armour just for them, I'll add it to the basic troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
I'd still give them an extra pixel or two on the axes.
This is one thing where I really don't like the GW dwarf miniatures. Some of the weapons are clearly oversized. I know that dwarfs are strong and so forth, but when the blade of your axe is as big as your shield, you are doing something wrong. It's a lot like the clearly oversized beards on the Longbeard miniatures. How can they fight without tripping on those things?

I had them pretty big at one point, but it just looked ridicilious. Like they'd be compensating for something.

On other news, I updated the first post. I decided to include the Dwarf Arbalest unit I was thinking of, since I needed a secondary missile unit for the PD>20. I also scrapped the "Lord" commander, this nation doesn't really need two different national commanders, it will just remove recruitment screen clutter if I make the Thane single, but great commander. This will also make adding the Oathstones* easier.

*Basically, the Thane and King can enter combat on "oathstone mode", which will render them immobile for the battle, but boost their stats and give them ridicilous standard.
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had them pretty big at one point, but it just looked ridicilious. Like they'd be compensating for something.
But they are!
useless post, go on
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Quote:
But they are!
Sorry to quote this obvious humor post, but they're not. I'm going for "serious dwarfs" not Gimli-esque comic reliefs. Dwarfs are short, and proud of it, since it allows them to easily navigate tunnels and their stocky build gives them unsurpassed balance.

But on completely different terms, new preview pic.

1. Clansdwarf Crossbow

2. Heavy Crossbow

3. Clansdwarf Warrior

4. Longbeard

5. Hammer

6. Miner

7. Clansdwarf Heavy Warrior

8. Ironbreaker

9. Ranger (I decided to arm them with throwing axes, since having 3 different types of crossbows would just be rebundant)

10. Troll Slayer

11. Dwarf Runeguard (cap. only sacred)

---Commanders

12. Ranger Champion

13. Prospector

14. Thane

15. Thane on Oathstone

16. Giant Slayer - Recruitable thug. (I originally had just 3 different types of Slayers, but these guys were just so much fun to draw that I decided to squeeze these guys in and make Dragon Slayers heroes)

17. Dragon Slayer - Multihero

18. Daemon Slayer - Summon that will kick *** like never seen before.

Last edited by Burnsaber; September 28th, 2009 at 03:17 PM..