.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Corporal

melnorjr is on a distinguished road
Default A question about map creation

I found a picture I want to use, added in all my white pixels for provinces, went into the map editor and it had all the provinces shown, then went to create game just to look at it...and it shows 0 land and 0 sea provinces. Do I actually have to go into the .map file and type #newprovince (#) 288 times? is there some crucial step I'm missing?

I read a guide somewhere on map creation, but it didn't say anything that seemed to help. I tried telling it to randomize names, then saved and checked the .map and it had names for all the provinces, but still 0 provinces in the game.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A question about map creation

did you save it? Did you rename it when you saved it?
Is there a .map file in your maps directory with that name?
When you say all the provinces were shown do you mean that you could see the white dots and each had a flag on it? If not then the dots were not white enough (they have to be 255/255/255 in paint program jargon)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Corporal

melnorjr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A question about map creation

Yes, I did all that. and yeah, by the provinces were shown I meant the flags were there.

I did manage to figure it out. My apologies for not updating, I went out for a run and forgot.

The problem was that I hadn't connected any provinces yet. For some reason until I did that, it didn't register any as existing, but once I connected a few, they all showed up.

so my map is working now. Thanks.

Now I just have to finish the gigantic, insane mod that I'm creating for which that map was made.
I've got 8 out of 12 nations about 70-80% made(haven't bothered to make descriptions yet, or give them heroes, and still need some national spells).
I just wish I was better at graphics. Nothing really interesting or new; I'm still trying to learn everything at once.