Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Private

curious123 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi, few questions :)

Hello, recently (1 month ago, haha, time flies fast when you play a great game) i started playing the winspww2 and i must say its one of the best 2D TB wargames i ever played. i have few minor questions:
1. i noticed that sometimes sniper take out 2 men per 1 shot, now since the sniper team consists of 1 man is it a bug or it was intended?
2. when i issue airstrike order, my planes sometimes use their secondary arnament (guns,mg's) on another target which happens to be near and dont use their bombs, now its fine but when i issue another sortie for the same plane in 50% of cases it doesnt has its bombs anymore although it didnt use them on the first sortie.
3. this is more of historically correct question: in winspww2 the tanks always use sabot and ap rounds against bunkers while in combat mission series they use only HE ammo against bunkers, i googled a bit and didnt find the answer, so im really curious who is right on this point.
4. i'm playing the german campaign at the moment, i selected long 1939-1945 campaign and now the date is 01/42 and according to history books the germans were mostly on the defence on this date when the russians started their winter counterattack. what i got the last 3 monthes is 2 meeters/advance out of 3 battles per month (200 battle long campaign) and only 1 defence/delay, which leads me to the question if the game takes into account the dates and fronts when it generates the kind of battle.

almost forgot to mention that i play the 3.0 version and just installed the 3.5 today so maybe some of this isnt relevant anymore. (oh btw can i install patches in the middle of a campaign?)
sorry for my long history post :P english is not my native language so if something is not clear i can try and reask just tell me
again i really enjoy your game, keep up the great work.

Last edited by curious123; December 27th, 2008 at 06:22 PM..
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi, few questions :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious123 View Post
Hello, recently (1 month ago, haha, time flies fast when you play a great game) i started playing the winspww2 and i must say its one of the best 2D TB wargames i ever played. i have few minor questions:
1. i noticed that sometimes sniper take out 2 men per 1 shot, now since the sniper team consists of 1 man is it a bug or it was intended?
2. when i issue airstrike order, my planes sometimes use their secondary arnament (guns,mg's) on another target which happens to be near and dont use their bombs, now its fine but when i issue another sortie for the same plane in 50% of cases it doesnt has its bombs anymore although it didnt use them on the first sortie.
3. this is more of historically correct question: in winspww2 the tanks always use sabot and ap rounds against bunkers while in combat mission series they use only HE ammo against bunkers, i googled a bit and didnt find the answer, so im really curious who is right on this point.
4. i'm playing the german campaign at the moment, i selected long 1939-1945 campaign and now the date is 01/42 and according to history books the germans were mostly on the defence on this date when the russians started their winter counterattack. what i got the last 3 monthes is 2 meeters/advance out of 3 battles per month (200 battle long campaign) and only 1 defence/delay, which leads me to the question if the game takes into account the dates and fronts when it generates the kind of battle.

almost forgot to mention that i play the 3.0 version and just installed the 3.5 today so maybe some of this isnt relevant anymore. (oh btw can i install patches in the middle of a campaign?)
sorry for my long history post :P english is not my native language so if something is not clear i can try and reask just tell me
again i really enjoy your game, keep up the great work.
1) He has taken out 2 targets in one engagement. It is not a single round.

2) If a plane engages an opportunity target, it will have its bombs left if it did not drop them. (Rockets can be fired off axis as per cannon).

3) AP/HEAT/HESH is the correct round. HE is what bunkers were designed to protect against after all.

4) You will get all battle types in a campaign, though usually a few more defence ones when on the defensive and vice versa. However even if the war was offensive/defensive for a nation at a particular time, your task force will be engaged in the usual to and fro of battle at the local tactical level.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Private

thanks for the fast reply, just another point i forgot to mention, i recently read one of the posts on this forum about tanks rarity and how the ai chooses the tanks , so i just wanted to mention that i didnt meet any T-34 during july/41-october/41 althouh i met some KVs even on the 1st battle, and considering the russians had around 1000 T-34 and only 300 KVs made pre war it may be a bug or my luck.
and indeed i didnt think about the bunker question logically
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious123 View Post
thanks for the fast reply, just another point i forgot to mention, i recently read one of the posts on this forum about tanks rarity and how the ai chooses the tanks , so i just wanted to mention that i didnt meet any T-34 during july/41-october/41 althouh i met some KVs even on the 1st battle, and considering the russians had around 1000 T-34 and only 300 KVs made pre war it may be a bug or my luck.
and indeed i didnt think about the bunker question logically
Before about 11/41 the T34 and KV AI buy has been toned down a bit from what it was. You may still see some, as well as some KV though. It can still roll snake eyes and put out a lot of them occasionally.

However the BTs will be target practice, unless it gets lucky (I have had 2 coys of the things burst out of a wood and swarm over a single Nazi tank platoon. Think Custer's last stand! )

Andy
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Hi, few questions :)

Good day,

Just to expand on several subjects:

In ref the ammo used by tanks to bunker bust, there were instances when tanks were able drive up and lob HE though vision slits or other openings, this of course depended on the type of bunker and whether the installations were overrun or not. Anything from a distance AP/HEAT type rounds would be the norm. Flame throwing tanks played large roles in this kind of work as well.

Keep in mind of our game a hex is 50 meters, so being "beside" a bunker is relative. BTW, the AI seems to be aware that Flame Tanks make good bunker destroyers as the other day I had the Canadians making valiant attempts to get Badgers up to a well fortified AT Pillbox on a hill they managed to burn my PzGren's out of their trenches but never got the Pillbox.

Ref the early T34 and KV1 usage, despite the numbers available in the early stages of the war they were terribly misused, by being employed in small numbers, with crews that were barely trained, along with a lot of mechanical bugs and not to mention lack of spares. A lot of this applied to the Red Army Armoured Corps in general, but of course with the two best Soviet Tanks it was even more apparent. The Germans quickly overwhelmed any minor set backs caused by these two War Machines.

The toning down referred to was necessary, as with the old AI, it was not unusual to come up against hordes of KV's or T34's as soon as you crossed the frontier into the Soviet Onion!!!

Hope this helps. Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

rofl, soviet ONION,btw i remember fighting (actually seeing my panzers I and II geting blow one by one, like turkey shooting) some KVs and T34s early on, so, curious123, you'd better be ready to shoot hordes of BT and T26 as well as to ambush KVs and T34s(unless you like loosing your panzerIIIs for nothing) and once the PZIII with 50mm canon becomes avaiable upgrade your tanks, german early TDs aren't that good against russian armor, but will work against all early tanks but the matildas
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM

Private

as i stated im already playing in 01/42 so i got my 5cm P3's long ago, their sabot rounds rock i already encountered the hordges of bt's and t-26's and my 6 4.7cm tank destroyers based on the P1 chasis if im not wrong wrecked them fast
now only to clarify my T-34/KV part of post: i encountered KVs on my 1st advance battle and encountered the 2/3 of the times aswell while i didnt encountered the T-34 for the 1st 5 monthes of war at all.
thats why i found it a bit strange and i used the 1000/300 numbers to indicate it. i know about the dumb use of this tanks and about the suply shortage in the 1st year of the war, its just feels weird to encounter the KV in 2/3 of battles and not encounter the MUCH more numerous T-34 at all.
in some defence missions i had to repell around 10 KVs per battle.
on a side note i could write a short campaign summary of up to this point in the AAR section if it belongs there and if there are interested people.
its rare to find nice ww2 wargaming forums this days and i really like what i read here
again, thnx for the great work (devs) and im sure the 3.5 patch would make my german campaign in russia more interesting.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you need to do an AAR. We will read it for sure!

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:24 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Hi, few questions :)

I certainly will read your AAR's as well.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe