Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Private

RedGuard is on a distinguished road
Default what is "1/10th SS Frundsberg"?

I'm a Chinese and eager to bring the great game to China, so I started to translate the scenario texts into Chinese.

In scenario 011, WinSPWW2, there's something that I don't understand:SS Rifle Kompanie 2 of the 1/10th SS Frundsberg

I know Frundsberg, and Rifle Kompanie, too.But, what's the meaning of "1/10th"? There's no such thing in Chinese.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what is "1/10th SS Frundsberg"?

If it were UK/Commonwealth then that would be 1st battalion of the 10th Frundsberg Regiment.

UK Regiments had 1 or more battalions, typically 3 as a maximum with 2 common (one on home service, the other abroad). The battalion was the deploying formation - not the regiment as in Continental armies. Regimental HQ was a purely administrative depot company in some UK garrison town where recruits were formed and sent out to the deployed battalion and some clerical matters were dealt with.

In WW1 and WW2 with mass conscription, regimental names were re-used rather than building an anonymous wartime-only "127th infantry" regiment say.

So the Black Watch regiment would raise a second regiment for battalions 3-6, a third Black watch for wartime battalions 7-9 and so on. All thus shared the regimental tribal customs, cap badge, Tartan if a Scots Regiment, any associated funny hats, battle honours and traditions. The original would be 1/BW, the next raised would be 2/BW etc. There were 25 battalions of the Black Watch regiment raised in WW1 - far too many for a single regimental HQ to administer.

BY re-using regimental names, units could be formed with some tradition to rely upon. An anonymous 127th regiment of foot would be merely a blank slate and would have to build its own tribal "esprit de corps" from nothing.

(Nowadays with the reduction in regiments, individual battalions of the new conglomerations hold the titles of once separate regiments - so they are now The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland, or 3 SCOTS for short, and the officers and men of the conglomerated regiment are supposedly able to be administratively shifted about as required. In the old Regimental system if you joined the Black Watch then you were forever Black Watch - even if you became a Staff Officer, you kept the regimental dress and added red tabs.)

Therefore this may be the 1st Bn (or regiment) of this German division perhaps?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

1/10th SS Frundsberg

Frundsberg was the name given to the 10th SS Division and 1/ indicates the first Panzergrenadier Regiment of that division. The scenario itself concerns itself with ( I belive...) the second Rifle Company of the first battalion of the first Regiment of the 10th SS division

Frundsberg had , along with all the support battalions, 2 Panzergrenadier Regiments and 1 Panzer Regiment. Each of the Panzergrenadier Regiments had three battalions and each battalion had four Companys In this case the first Regiment's actual designation was SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 21.

"In October, 1943, this division was given the number 10 and bestowed with the offical title of Frundsberg, while the 1st and 2nd SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiments were renumber as the 21st and 22nd Panzergrenadier-Regiments. "

Don

Last edited by DRG; November 14th, 2012 at 01:29 AM..
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Private

RedGuard is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Andy and Don, that helps me a lot.

My question was about German SS formation.But still, I learnt so much, for the UK regiments always confuse me.

In China, we will say something like " 10th division 1st regiment 2nd battalion 3rd company ". I've never seen " 1/10th " before.