Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Private

Ziploc is on a distinguished road
Default Aircraft Tunnel Vision

Do aircraft attacks ever 'miss' the intended hex? If so does AA fire have any influence on causing a 'miss' apart from shooting down aircraft before they reach the target point!
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,445 Times in 2,700 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aircraft Tunnel Vision

Yes and Yes
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziploc View Post
Do aircraft attacks ever 'miss' the intended hex? If so does AA fire have any influence on causing a 'miss' apart from shooting down aircraft before they reach the target point!
Not only 'do' they miss the intended target hex but, I just finished a France 1940 scenario where my Stukas attacked my panzers almost as much as they attacked the French.

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziploc View Post
Not only 'do' they miss the intended target hex but, I just finished a France 1940 scenario where my Stukas attacked my panzers almost as much as they attacked the French.
Don't call in air attacks close to your units if under 4-500m make sure they come in at an angle that overflys the enemy first. Depending on what they are carrying looking for infantry or armour targets including you if you are in the target area.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Private

Reset is on a distinguished road

I seem to have the bad luck of them using their machine guns on armor then dropping their bombs 1-2 hexes away after strafing.
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

I've been attacked by aircraft called in by the AI that made a couple of strafing runs before dropping their bombs. As far as I understand it, the AI turned off the bombs until it's AOP was in sight of a hard target and then he let me have it. I've been trying to employ the same strategy

Howard Tayer
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Aircraft Tunnel Vision

I certainly agree about how to get your airstrkes on target. Another tactic is to send no less that 6 Stukas against a mass of troops and armour I have found this to be much more effective than attacks by one or two Stukas. The other thing is to try to get a location on your EN's AAA assets and either hit them hard with artillery (I recommend this.) or avoid flying near them when attacking.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Ketch View Post
I've been attacked by aircraft called in by the AI that made a couple of strafing runs before dropping their bombs. As far as I understand it, the AI turned off the bombs until it's AOP was in sight of a hard target and then he let me have it. I've been trying to employ the same strategy
I don't think the AI chooses/turns off weapon slots. That's a human player priviledge and another advantage the human opponent has over the "dumb" AI. Maybe the said planes had already conducted their bomb run in a previous turn and still had some ammo remaining for their guns?
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Ketch View Post
I don't think the AI chooses/turns off weapon slots. That's a human player priviledge and another advantage the human opponent has over the "dumb" AI. Maybe the said planes had already conducted their bomb run in a previous turn and still had some ammo remaining for their guns?
That's what I thought at first, but it the argument seemed to fall apart when I got bombed by what appeared to be the same plane after he had strafed my troops a two or three times. Now, it could have been that the AI had more air assets then I was aware of, but I can't remember what I saw when I checked the endgame run down. Maybe Don and Andy will shed some light on if the AI can turn off weapons.

I can't help commenting on on the "dumb" AI. It probably shows my level of play, but I have a great deal of respect for the war engine that Don and Andy have bred and raised. If any one haven't played agaisn't in a while, I sure you'll be pleasently suprised. So you PBEMers can try that while I (an AIer) will try to set up some PBEM games.

Howard Tayer
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe Don and Andy will shed some light on if the AI can turn off weapons.
I will save them the effort no it can't what it can do is pick the right target for the weapon. A plane armed with cannon is probably looking for armour to plink. Its bombload however might be far better suited to dropping on infantry so really the pilot wants to drop them on infantry.
You not the AI have the luxury of turning them off so they are not wasted assuming of course you survive for another pass.
It did not attack infantry by mistake it attacked them because it was a better target for the payload.