.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ANDalusian Sun. Anonymous LA game for (rather) experienced players (Recruiting)

Amazing how you manage to articulate things I think even before I manage to find out exactly what's itching me

Oh and due to your post I'd like to change my vote re. holy war. I prefer to play it safe, just CBM 1.83 + the two nation mods.
Edit: llamabeast, if you are gonna play and think holy war is safe then you have my vote
I'm now officially seconding your vote.

Amhazair, you better decide something soon before we vote our selves to death on the mods
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ANDalusian Sun. Anonymous LA game for (rather) experienced players (Recruiting)

Oh gosh how confusing! Well, just to say I'm happy either way.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

I'm sure we'll have fun whichever mod we have. I'm still for including lesser holy war, and the AI mod. As experienced players, we'll adapt and exploit the hell out of any loopholes. And make sure we win the battle by round 5!!
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

First off, for those looking for answers from me: I did say I'd be gone for the weekend, and would see about making final decisions after getting back, so shame on you for all your impatience!

You do have a good point about casting AI behaviour Calahan, (which I admit I did not think about) but since all people who expressed an opinion before were in favour of using the Holy War mod, and since Llamabest assures us there were no issues with the previous well-tested version that's good enough for me.

I'll update the OP to refelct we'll be using CBM 1.83 and the Holy war mod.

With Llamabeast joining and Rabelais dropping out (Have a good rest I'd say ) we have 14 players so far. (If Calahan confirms participation.) While there's obviously room for more I see no specific reason to hang around waiting for more with a nice field of players allready assembled and no new signups the last two days. I propose we start making our nation choices and send them to Sasooli. (I asked him to turn on his PM's). Anyone new signing up before nations are assigned is obviously still free to join.

In the meantime (and assuming no more people sign up: Any map suggestions? From the ones I have on my disk Cradle of Dominion seems the best fit. (Rather roomy, but not too much so, and not too many water provinces.)
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhazair View Post
(IF YOU DO PUBLICLY POST YOUR PREFERED NATIONS DESPITE THIS WARNING, YOU'LL BE ASSIGNED A RANDOM NATION INSTEAD.)
Alrighty, then I choose Ermor.
You know, you could have just posted saying you wanted a random nation and have achieved the same result without having me be utterly mad at you for flaunting my authority.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Not only is Sasoolis PM:s turned off here, his inbox at dom3mods is full. Arrgh!
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Hah! Probably everyone in this game first asked him to turn his Pm's on here, and then sent in his nation choices in his next PM. Should be fun.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Corporal

Ragnoff is on a distinguished road

Full up yet?

Random nation is fine if there are any left
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First off, for those looking for answers from me: I did say I'd be gone for the weekend, and would see about making final decisions after getting back, so shame on you for all your impatience!
Disappointed to hear about your lack of omnipresence. But Dimaz might have been around (although not sure what decision making powers you've given him during the design stage)

Quote:
You do have a good point about casting AI behaviour Calahan, (which I admit I did not think about) but since all people who expressed an opinion before were in favour of using the Holy War mod, and since Llamabest assures us there were no issues with the previous well-tested version that's good enough for me.

I'll update the OP to refelct we'll be using CBM 1.83 and the Holy war mod.
I'd be interested in knowing what games the mod has seen action in, and in particular what nations and players were involved. As nations without (important) mage-priests like (all LA) Man, Jomon, Pangaea won't be affected much at all by a load of new holy spells. But the likes of Arco, Mictlan, TC to name just a few of the many in LA with mage-priests, could have they top line mages severely affected by a load of new spells. Plus some players don't tend to scrutinise the battle replays close enough to report feedback on this sort of thing, as it's nowhere near the same as testing units. Since if you got royally stuffed in a fight, you're unlikely to replay it several times to notice your mage-priests casting junk, and hence report it as a problem

And I hate to sound like the elitist jerk I know I am, but there are very few players I trust when it comes to testing and providing proper feedback, and that list narrows to less than the digits on one hand when it comes to observing casting AI behaviour. Since when wars are going well and you are tanking someone hard, who bothers to take the time to notice what your mage priests were casting after the 6th round. And while I haven't tested Holy Wars mod yet to know for certain how it affects nations (but I will try to soon), I do know enough about the problems with mage-priests in general to know you likely can't just add new holy spells and expect there not to be potentially adverse side-effects. Especially for 0 fatigue spells (I'd be surprised if Faith Healing wasn't very popular with the casting AI).

It way well be that most nations aren't that effected at all, and most may well benefit. But if just one nation/player has their game severely compromised or even ruined by these new spells due to no fault of their own, then I for one would find that very unfair, and even wrong. And that's regardless of whether I was that nation or I was fighting it (since I certainly don't want to win fights or wars due to problems caused by a mod. And I'd rather be that nation in that case for the challenge, rather than fighting against it with an unfair advantage)

But democracy has spoken it seems, even though democracy often just sees people voting "we want more" (which is one reason why it sucks). Do you want more spells? "Yes". Do you want the government to mint lots and lots of extra money and give it freely to everyone? "Yes, that sounds great". More != good, as it's almost never that straightforward.

Anyway I've said my bit, so I'll shut up and leave it there I think.

Quote:
(If Calahan confirms participation.)
I'll hopefully be able to let you know in a few days. Also, I think you've left a few players off the list (Ghoul31, NooBliss), unless they are still awaiting clearance.

Quote:
In the meantime (and assuming no more people sign up: Any map suggestions? From the ones I have on my disk Cradle of Dominion seems the best fit. (Rather roomy, but not too much so, and not too many water provinces.)
Here are two wraparounds to consider.

Riverlands (231+17) - http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43606

or if you want a tighter fit

GreeeceStain (181+18) - http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44078

The Wiki has a good range of maps to browse through (and the llamaserver has most as well)
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Category:Map

Edit - Are caps going to be VP marked? and are starts going to be random, or is someone going to place them? If the latter, then the former will decide the range of people who can do that. Since if caps are not VP marked, you need someone not playing to fix the starts. And VP caps also means "capture and hold capitals for X turns" is a trickier option, as the game auto-ends once the target is reached (although there are ways around this by setting the in-game requirement to all VP's, but then using out-of-game requirements at half+1 pr whatever. Which is no probelm as long as players are aware the in-game winning line on the VP-graph isn't the actual winning line. If that makes sense)

Last edited by Calahan; March 27th, 2011 at 05:00 PM..
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Not at all full. (In fact, up to 10 spots still available. ) Might I encquire about your experience level though? As explained before, this really isn't the best game for inexperienced players to participate in.

Edit: Ghoul has backed out after a PM from me, and am still waiting for a response from Noobliss about his experience level. (As I don't know him at all.)