.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 16th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Corporal

VALENT is on a distinguished road
Default Problem master slave

i don't understand how function master slave and the other slave to upgrade one mage during combat.does i have to script the 3 mages , one master and the 2 others slave at the time of the scripts during the combat? one mage first round slave,the 2 mage the second round slave, and the 3mage the 3 round master?or another sense? ( i'm french for the language!!!)
does ihave to have some artefacts obigatory to upgrade or not necesseraly?the 3 mages have to be near from each other in the recruit army in the combat?
if somebody can help me .i don't arrive to upgrade my mage 2 astral and 2 mages 1 asral in the same combat.
phil
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem master slave

Quote:
Originally posted by VALENT:
i don't understand how function master slave and the other slave to upgrade one mage during combat.does i have to script the 3 mages , one master and the 2 others slave at the time of the scripts during the combat? one mage first round slave,the 2 mage the second round slave, and the 3mage the 3 round master?or another sense? ( i'm french for the language!!!)
does ihave to have some artefacts obigatory to upgrade or not necesseraly?the 3 mages have to be near from each other in the recruit army in the combat?
if somebody can help me .i don't arrive to upgrade my mage 2 astral and 2 mages 1 asral in the same combat.
phil
Actually, it is very uncomplicated. There are many threads on these Boards which will give you many details of this process, but here is all you really need to know:
- You must script your slaves "communication slave"
- You must script your master "communication master".
The *ONLY* requirement is that these mages be capable of casting these spells -- distance, timing, etc. is not important.
As soon as all of the people involved have cast the appropriate spells, your master will have his paths boosted. (This will take effect immediately, and you can use it in the next combat round.)
So basically, in round one, if you set all your slaves scripted to "slave" and your master(s) to "master", your master will be ready and boosted to the maximum in round 2.
No artifacts are necessary.
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:37 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
quote:
phil
Actually, it is very uncomplicated. There are many threads on these Boards which will give you many details of this process, but here is all you really need to know:
- You must script your slaves "communication slave"
- You must script your master "communication master".
The *ONLY* requirement is that these mages be capable of casting these spells -- distance, timing, etc. is not important.
As soon as all of the people involved have cast the appropriate spells, your master will have his paths boosted. (This will take effect immediately, and you can use it in the next combat round.)
So basically, in round one, if you set all your slaves scripted to "slave" and your master(s) to "master", your master will be ready and boosted to the maximum in round 2.
No artifacts are necessary.

You can also script your mages as slaves AND masters at the same time. But in this case you will need to watch your fatique level very carefully. Still it can be very usefull in certain situations.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Sergeant

Vynd is on a distinguished road

If you have two 1 Astral mages and one 2 Astral mage, then to boost the 2 Astral, have him cast Communion Master and have both 1 Astral mages cast Communion Slave. It does not matter what order they cast the three mages cast the spells in.

The "only requirement" tinkthank mentions is that your mags have at least 1 Astral. Your mages have this so you are OK.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Corporal

Master Shake is on a distinguished road

With Master/Slave, some portion of the Master spell casting fatigue is transferred to the Slave. You have to watch fatigue because Communion Slaves can be killed by having their fatigue go to very high levels (>200 I think). I have never done it, but if you had a single mage cast both Slave and Master, then had it cast a high-fatigue spell, it might kill itself.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
does i have to script the 3 mages , one master and the 2 others slave at the time of the scripts during the combat? one mage first round slave,the 2 mage the second round slave, and the 3mage the 3 round master?or another sense? ( i'm french for the language!!!)
The order that they cast the spells does not matter at all. Any mage that casts communion slave becomes a slave for all of the mages on your side that cast communion master. A mag can be both a slave and a master at the same time, but then only takes advantage of the slaves that are not itself, and still gets fatigue from the spells that the master casts. This is dangerous, as one death due to fatigue among your slaves can cascade to kill most of them very quickly.

Quote:
does ihave to have some artefacts obigatory to upgrade or not necesseraly?
The slave matrix and crystal matrix items work in the same manner as the communion slave and master spells. These items function throughout the entire combat.

Quote:
the 3 mages have to be near from each other in the recruit army in the combat?
The positioning of your mages on the battlefield does not matter at all.

Quote:
i don't arrive to upgrade my mage 2 astral and 2 mages 1 asral in the same combat.
What you want to do then is to have the astral 2 mage cast communion master, while the astral 1 mages cast communion slave. Since there are two communion slaves, any other mage that casts communion master will have all of his magic paths increased by 1. You cannot see this increase in the unit screen, but it is there, as the master will now be able to cast astral 3 spells such as soul slay.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what do you mean by watch your fatigue? how i see it when i script the first round for each mage? i hav only 2 1 astral and 1 2 astral and i want upgrade the 2 astral.
You don't actually see the enhancement to magical ability on your communion masters, as it doesn't show up on the unit screen. What he means by watching your fatigue is that a mage that is both a communion slave and a communion master, can acquire enormous amounts of fatigue very quickly if there are a large number of other communion masters.

Quote:
where are they please?
thinks[/QB]
I don't know of any off of the top of my head, but you might try searching for "communion" or "communicants".
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THInks for allyour answers. please ":But in this case you will need to watch your fatique level very carefully. Still it can be very usefull in certain situations. " what do you mean by watch your fatigue? how i see it when i script the first round for each mage?

I mean you will need to be carefull so your mages would not die from too much fatique. Spells such as Relief help a lot, but you still have to be extra carefull with Masters/Slaves casted by the same mage, since he will get fatique as both Master and as Slave.

The benefit obviously is that he can cast high level spells instead of just sitting in the back doing nothing as a slave. And you also benefit from all these buffs, that can render all your mages 100% immune to everything, as well as benefit from all types of different buffs.

Such tactic can be very usefull, especially in certain situations. Like for example 16 mages cast communion Slave, than each Cast Comunion Master, than Each Cast Mind Duel (when facing enemy with a large group of low level astral mages). It can be very nasty shock for your opponent. There are other situations where such setup can be very helpfull. I am experimenting with tactic recently myself, trying to tweak it to be most efficient. The results are quite promising.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM

Corporal

THInks for allyour answers. please ":But in this case you will need to watch your fatique level very carefully. Still it can be very usefull in certain situations. " what do you mean by watch your fatigue? how i see it when i script the first round for each mage? i hav only 2 1 astral and 1 2 astral and i want upgrade the 2 astral.

"The *ONLY* requirement is that these mages be capable of casting these spells -- distance, timing, etc. is not important." what mean only requirement? why the mages cannot cast ?
help me please.
it is not necesseray for the mages to be near.
"There are many threads on these Boards which will give you many details of this process, but here is all you really need to know:" where are they please?
thinks
phil
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Corporal

Thinks for all your answers ,it is a very big help for a beginner like me!! the game is very intersting but a little hard!!
thinks very much
phil