.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Corporal

olaf73 is on a distinguished road
Default What to do here...

OK I need some advice. I am just playing AIs, but finally am doing well in a game. I thought I was winning, but I may not be.

Anyway, this Ulm bastard is holed up in his castle and I cant seem to crack it. Its just the god and a TON of Living Statues in the fortress. I am playing Jotunheim, and attacking this castle just gets me mauled. What should I do?

Thanks
olaf

edit: If it helps, some background info. My god is not too magically inclined 5 water/ 3 earth his domain is the default Iron Woods. I have a lot of research done and can make pretty much any item. I also have a pretty beefed up Angarboda as my Prophet.

[ December 19, 2003, 04:28: Message edited by: olaf73 ]
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What to do here...

....preach him out. The God dies with his dominion.
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

The AI in my games usually goes completely rampant with building temples, and there is no way that I can preach them out unless I take down most of them, which takes a very long time, and even then it takes very long to purge their dominion.

Alternatively, you could also try to summon something really nasty, such as an ice devil or four, forge some good items, and see how that turns out.

[ December 19, 2003, 04:50: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Corporal

Yeah preaching him out will take a while...he has other provinces left, just none adjacent to his capitol.

What items do you recommend forging? I have some sweet stuff already, a full suit of artifacts for my god. Still, not enough.

olaf
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

apoger is on a distinguished road

Hard to judge with the info at hand, but...

1- Ignore him and work his dominion down. Deal wih it later if his dominion doesn't crack.

2- Hurlers will do well against the statues.

3- The "Black Bow of Botulf" can cause insanity on a hit, and might incapacitate the pretenders magic. It's easy for Jotunheim to make.

4- If the enemy pretender has astral skill, and if you have any astral mages, you could run in and do a bunch of Magic Duels and hope for a quick kill.

5- If you have any astal-2 mages try the spell Paralyze. The stautes are not valid targets (I think) and the spell should go right for the only living thing (the pretender). If you have any astral-3 mages and can do soul slays... even better.

6- The spell Frozen Heart is awesome if the pretender does not have cold protection. Again the statues aren't legal targets, so a mass casting might drop the pretender like he's in front of a firing sqaud.

7- Put boots of flying on a few large commanders (which Jotunheim certainly has). Stack a few choice magic items on them. At the combat start wait a few turns and then attack rear. They should fly to the rear, which should be the pretender, and start pounding away. A few Jotun Herses with Duskdaggers in each hand should drop almost anything.
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Corporal

Those are good suggestions, I will keep them in mind for next time.

He finally was crushed by dominion. Yay! I won my first game.

olaf
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

The possibilities are endless. You could also try out some battle enchatements that could take him out. If you want to go through the statues, you could use smashers with your commanders. You could also try a few flying commanders with snake bladder sticks put on hold for a few turns and then attack rear (if he's not immune). It all depends on what you can forge/cast/summon.

Also, if you don't find it too cheesy, you could make a backup copy of the game folder so you can try out different things safely for learning/testing purposes.

Good luck.

edit: ah well, I take too long to post

[ December 19, 2003, 08:34: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Mind Hunt, Seeking Arrow and Earth Attack work even during castle sieges (whereas assassins can't get inside).
Oh, and the Soulstone of the Wolves is nifty during castle storming because the wolves appear *inside* the castle. Good distraction.
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hrm... I wonder if a regular Call of Wild (or other summons) will pop troops "under" the siege?
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

>You could also try a few flying commanders with snake bladder sticks put on hold for a few turns and then attack rear (if he's not immune).

Immunity is why I suggest the duskdaggers. Nothing is immune to armor negating damage, and the giants high strength really exploits this. If you aren't worried about immunity the snake bladder sticks (need to be immune yourself for best results) or lightning spears are both great.