.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 17th, 2004, 12:21 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orcish Empire

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Heh... ya everyone needs "strong" national troops like Cohen's Crusaders!

PvK
the problem with cohens crusaders is that they are even stronger than the orcs. but in cohens mod you have almost no magic at all . 1 fire or 1 earth on the "mages" . and they have only 3 rp . for small maps they are really unbalanced . at faerun your opponents have most likely already researched quite far in magic. but since sages are so common you can still research quite quick .
what really imbalances cohens mod is the far to strong phoenix knight pretender . you can get powerful bless effects with him and an immortal sc without equipment . because 2 of the commanders produce 20 supplies furthermore you really can do very well for almost the entire game without much magic .

though i admire cohens effort and ideas and his drawings of the troops are very nice too i think it is really imbalanced for small maps because 1-2 of his neighbors can do whatever they want but almost 100% sure will be overrun .
at faerun it is perhaps more interesting since you have very low gem income and only your pretender can search either directly or with some spells . and as long as you don't find sages your research speed sucks bigtime too.

the orkmod is nice too .
but what i think is really imbalanced is primarely kronotauron the shaman hero for the renegade tribes . he has as good magic paths than a archdemon . no other unique summon has as high / many paths than he expect the 3 archdemons . + 4 death / 4 nature income is too much too .
with recuperation + 76 hp he is like a second pretender from start onwards .
+ for forging / summoning you already have covered death nature and air so you can design your pretender taking this into account and give him e.g. blood and earth or something similiar that you cover 60+% of the magic paths .
since the basic orks only need 1-3 resources and the most expensive unit only 17 resources you can take sloth 3 for additional points .

the mod is really very stylish and has much rpgflavour but is only good for either 1on1 with the 2 orcraces or as an aienchanting mod together with cohens if you don't take one of the 3 races yourself .

the oger's from orcish empire are like a trampling troll from turn 1 on with the same upkeepcosts . but i find the renegade tribes all in all even stronger because of their supermage .

the only real balanced mod so far which could be a official 18th race is really your amazon empire mod pvk but it was quite easier for you since 90% of the units / leaders you did just take from the game or ? you didn't alter any stats on the 4 tribes units / leaders ?
you "only" added the amazon scout / leader + the wayfarer and amazon + the 2 pd units or ? and of course the national heros .
but balance was much easier for you then if you made something completely new like cohen and weissi did

i think psycholochy plays an important part there too .
you want to make a really cool new nation and then you easily oversee that it is too powerful.
nothing is more frustrating than to hear your nation sucks because it is so weak. the other side of this is that you almost can't avoid overpowering it .
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:34 AM

Sergeant

Cheezeninja is on a distinguished road

To the mod creator: I am currently well into production of my own orc mod, and right now the only real holdup is creation of orc sprites (im modifying existing ones to look 'orky') I was wondering if you would mind if i used your fantastic sprites in my mod . Being an extremely un-artistic person they are far better than anything i could come up with, and my mod is going to have a very different feel from yours. More along the lines of LoTR and D&D orcish hordes.

[ July 17, 2004, 00:36: Message edited by: Cheezeninja ]
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:10 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Crusader Mod's troops are so much more powerful and cheap than anything anyone else has, that they can easily either wipe out everyone before magic is strong (on a small map) or find other mages (on a large map - not just sages but many other types), though they aren't likely to really need much magic, since their units are better than most summons anyway, and much cheaper.

This orc mod isn't necessarily that imbalanced, but some of the values just seem a bit incorrect compared to what I think they are trying to represent. I'm not sure they are (or aren't) necessarily imbalanced as a whole. I just think some of the values don't seem to make sense, such as catapults firing faster than arbalests (let alone as fast as shortbows), or daggers being like shortswords (could just change their name to "Blade" or something), or them having heaps of hitpoints.

Oh, and the Shamen I think may accidentally have the #mounted property, because their defense scores seem to be higher than their base + equipment would indicate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
the only real balanced mod so far which could be a official 18th race is really your amazon empire mod pvk but it was quite easier for you since 90% of the units / leaders you did just take from the game or ? you didn't alter any stats on the 4 tribes units / leaders ?
you "only" added the amazon scout / leader + the wayfarer and amazon + the 2 pd units or ? and of course the national heros .
Yes, Amazon mod does not change any of the existing units' statistics. I only made 7 or 8 sets of graphics, which is the most time-consuming and tiresome part for me. I added 9 units including heroes, and used 16 units, so if it makes any difference (I don't think it does ), 64% are directly from the game.
Quote:
but balance was much easier for you then if you made something completely new like cohen and weissi did
Actually, it's pretty easy for me to invent new unit types which are balanced, or to think of what appropriate values for new units and weapons would be compared to existing ones. That's why I've given feedback on these mods, because it seemed like maybe the authors would be interested in what seemed to me like more appropriate numbers, mainly so they make sense for what they say they are, compared to existing units.

PvK
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Actually, it's pretty easy for me to invent new unit types which are balanced, or to think of what appropriate values for new units and weapons would be compared to existing ones. That's why I've given feedback on these mods, because it seemed like maybe the authors would be interested in what seemed to me like more appropriate numbers, mainly so they make sense for what they say they are, compared to existing units.

PvK
you are a shining exeption there if i myself make mods or scenarios for any games at the beginning i am moderate but in the end it will always get imbalanced . in heroes of might and magic 3 when i made a scenario in the end most guards were packs of dragons or even azuredragons and so on .
when i wanted to spice up some fewused units in age of wonders 2 shadow magic at the end the syron lvl 4 ship and the human air ship were the most powerful lvl 4 units and the halflings centaur the most powerful lvl 3 unit . it started moderately but in the end ....

[ July 17, 2004, 01:58: Message edited by: Boron ]
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:38 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Heh. Well I have over twenty years of gaming under my belt, and close to a year playing this game series, so that probably helps.

PvK
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Private

Lunaticus is on a distinguished road

Well, the Orcish empire is replacing Abysia and therefore has a default heat of 3. However the Imperial Orcs have no unit which is heat-resistant or which can really fight efficiently in heat 3.
Is this intentional?
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

It's possible to mod the heat preferences of the nation to something else, so the creator probably just forgot to change this.
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you looked at the Ashikawa (Ashikaga) mod? Apparently early Versions were quit unbalanced, but the most recent one is ... quite "balanced" in the sense that it doesn't have an advantage over 90% of the stock races / themes. (I'm in a game with nothing but modded nations, experimented with the others in play, and know I'm in for a rough time.)

Ash has enough advantages to be interesting and even playable, but several weaknesses (one of which is huge) that apply to all the theme's troops, making it very vulnerable and easy to thwart - even by indies.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally posted by Cainehill:
quote:
Have you looked at the Ashikawa (Ashikaga) mod? Apparently early Versions were quit unbalanced, but the most recent one is ... quite "balanced" in the sense that it doesn't have an advantage over 90% of the stock races / themes. (I'm in a game with nothing but modded nations, experimented with the others in play, and know I'm in for a rough time.)

Ash has enough advantages to be interesting and even playable, but several weaknesses (one of which is huge) that apply to all the theme's troops, making it very vulnerable and easy to thwart - even by indies.

i only looked briefly at that mod . i have to admit that i don't like the theme very much . it reminds me too much on shogun : total war . so i didn't seriously play them .

what i myself like quite much too is the black moon chronicles mod with the empire of lyhn and the knights of the light . i think this mod is quite balanced too .
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:33 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what i myself like quite much too is the black moon chronicles mod with the empire of lyhn and the knights of the light . i think this mod is quite balanced too .
The Black Moon Chronicles mod isn't particularly balanced. The Empire's mages are all severely underpriced, as a mage with 2 in one path and 1 in another should cost 140 gold. A random 4 mage should definetly be more than 150 gold.