.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 17th, 2004, 11:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orcish Empire

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:
I think they were intentionally made to cost much less than they should, because of their rarity.
Don't rare things cost MORE, not LESS?
in business / real life in general yes
but in gametechnics if you wouldn't get them cheaper than your nationalmages then they were rarely worth the build . they need to be cheaper to be a reward when you really rarely find them.
on the other hand that is quite unfair . another such example is finding early a site with 40% blood or conjuration or forging bonus .
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

I apreciate the effort that was put in these two Orc mods but I must say I didn't like much of what I saw. No flame intended BTW, I hope this will only be understood as constructive criticism. I can't remember everything I've seen offhand, but these are the main points I'd change:

No priests: nice twist, I like that. Optionally you could add an unholy-1 (no more!) dark priest or priest/shaman akin to Broken Empire's Cultist.

Bad MR: nice twist again, although 9 would be OK too.

Weapons: I think I've seen too much broadswords and too much tweaked weapons. I'd use regular great clubs, mauls, axes, battleaxes, morningstars, flails and spears as primary weapons. Maybe shortbowmen too (give these an axe as a secondary weapon).

Standards and standard effects: drop them all. Add a special (and expensive) standard unit akin to Soul Gate standard legionary which causes Fear(+0) instead of boosting the morale of nearby friendly units. That seems much more thematic to me.

Morale: it's either very bad or insanely high, which seems very odd. Give 10 to regular troops, 12 or 13 to elites.

Hitpoints: way too high. Your Orcs are human-sized and thus should have physical stats akin to Ulm or Abysian standard troops. I'd give 12 to 13 HPs to most troops, base ATT of 11 and base DEF of 9.

Wolfriders: remove the trampling, it doesn't makes sense, since wolves only jump on their targets to put them off-balance, and always use their jaws as their only weapon. I can't remember if they have a bite attack, they should get one that inflicts something like 12-13 damage (no STR bonus) since the wolves have to be fairly large to be mounted by stocky orcs (IIRC standard wolves use a 2 damage bite attack and have a STR of 8).

Stealthy units: +16 seems just silly on standard troops. I'd give them all zero, possibly +10 or +20 only on one or 2 dedicated leaders.

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd try to make one of these Orc nations a replacement for Ulm, and would edit the Wolfherd so you get a special unit that can summon wolves for free from the start.

Well, that's all I can think of now since I can't even remember what the leaders look like, maybe I'll follow-up with more if you need more feedback.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:26 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Endoperez, that would be very nice to have such a utility. Gandalf and someone whose name escapes me have also been working on some other map population projects.

PvK
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Private

weiSsi is on a distinguished road

hi folks, thanks for ur replies. the thing was, i wanted to change almost every race into dwarves, elves, humans and so on... with changing independents too. but after developing the orcs, i hadnt enough time for going on. i have 2 weeks of university left, then i have vacation for 2 month... so i think in that time i will do some more stuff.
The thing was, that i never wanted to fight against the other races originally in dominions 2
some things u mentioned i just forgot to implement or just werent even possible in Version 2.08 ... if someone of u has some time and fells like doing it, he could change the stats to a "realistic" scale compared to the other nations, so u could mix them.
see u all
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:30 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:
I think they were intentionally made to cost much less than they should, because of their rarity.
Don't rare things cost MORE, not LESS?
in business / real life in general yes
but in gametechnics if you wouldn't get them cheaper than your nationalmages then they were rarely worth the build . they need to be cheaper to be a reward when you really rarely find them.
on the other hand that is quite unfair . another such example is finding early a site with 40% blood or conjuration or forging bonus .

Rarity only costs more (in theory) in a common market with a fixed demand and a limited supply. That's not the situation here at all.

Boron, it's not unfair if someone finds a site with unique abilities, if they had to do something that involved choices to get the site. For example, if they invested in magic paths and invested the time and possibly resources to search for the site. It's a prospective investment that paid off well.

PvK