.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 11th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Private

drool is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a very small suggestion for the next patch for ryhleh ( devs plz read )

[ July 11, 2004, 22:12: Message edited by: drool ]
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a very small suggestion for the next patch for ryhleh ( devs plz read )

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
do you play sometimes ryhleh norfleet ?
since you like castling and ryhleh is just designed for the watchtowers do you castle your coastal provinces then or not ?

what do other serious ryhlehplayers do to minimize the harm done by the stupid hybrids ?
I do, but I've never encountered a problem with huge numbers of hybrids. R'lyeh has the easy ability to move them into battles via Gateway, and if you run them into nearly anything, they tend to die rather quickly. If their constant running bothers you, try communing up for a nice casting of Growing Fury, which should helpfully make sure they fight to the death. All in all, I've never had so many hybrids that they've actually caused a noticeable upkeep drain. Maybe I just abuse them more than you do.
hm so if you play at faerun e.g. when you have e.g. 20 coastal provinces and 150 or so in total you gather them together every ~5 turns to send them on a suicide mission ? that's horrible unneeded micromanagement ihmo

perhaps you are expanding fast enough and doing this every now and then but it's simply unneeded ihmo.

in 20 provinces you get about ~40 at least per turn , that's about + 25 upkeep per turn .
if you are in a pattsituation for some turns or even loose some inlandprovinces it sucks ihmo

perhaps you didn't notice it because you always win anyway
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Sergeant

Mardagg is on a distinguished road

Maybe this was intentional from the devs to balance out the castling strategy for this nation a bit.
I am no expert R`lyeh player,but as you say,the Watch Tower seems very well fitting...maybe too well without all those Hybrids spawning up and annoying you

Faerun is also an extreme situation ,because of the massive amount of provinces...and extreme situations always require different/more brutal approaches.

btw I used the disband option in AOW2/SM also a lot,this option is clearly missing here.
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:32 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormbinder:
Actually the simple and effective solution to this problem, as well as to all other similar problem, is just to add a small button "Dismiss unit" to Dom2's GUI.
You'd first have to get IW's programmer to overcome his extreme aVersion to working on anything UI-related ...
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
You'd first have to get IW's programmer to overcome his extreme aVersion to working on anything UI-related ...
There's nothing that overcomes extreme aVersion quite like the threat of having molten lead poured under your skin.
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:55 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Actually the simple and effective solution to this problem, as well as to all other similar problem, is just to add a small button "Dismiss unit" to Dom2's GUI.
There's nothing extreme about his aVersion. Everyone hates UI. Don't you .

I don't think it's an aVersion, but a fondness of working with other stuff.

The reason there is no 'dismiss' might just as well be our sadistic sense of humour. Ask Norfleet. He knows what I am talking about
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:00 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
There's nothing that overcomes extreme aVersion quite like the threat of having molten lead poured under your skin.
Does this cure my aVersion to molten lead as well? .
How do you pour it under someones skin? Wouldn't a more conventional gurgling be easier?
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:41 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
here's nothing extreme about his aVersion. Everyone hates UI. Don't you .
"Everyone" doesn't hate UI. I don't. I do detest bad UI. There's no excuse for it. What good is software that's hard (or impossible) to use? Answer? Not much. As a programmer, what I'm good at -- second only to finding bugs in other people's code -- is designing UI.

Dom 2 doesn't have bad UI. If it did I wouldn't play it, no matter how nifty the guts might be. But the Dom 2 UI does leave much room for improvement.
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:47 AM

Major General

Quote:
How do you pour it under someones skin? Wouldn't a more conventional gurgling be easier?
O ye of little imagination. First you flay the subject, then you ...

As for gargling, having molten lead poured on one's flesh, while excruciating, might not be immediately fatal. Ingesting said fiery substance most assuredly would be. If your objective is to inflict maximum pain and suffering, the Last thing you want is for your subject to escape your tender ministrations too soon.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:56 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
quote:
There's nothing extreme about his aVersion. Everyone hates UI. Don't you .

I don't. In fact custom UI programing is one on my specialities, and I don't mind doing it.