.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:12 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default Supplies?

Ok, I don't know how many of you have read the preview at Tacticular Cancer, but here is the link (http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=15). Thanks to tacticular cancer to the much-needed preview, great information! Also, the game is looking really good! Anyone else notice that most a territory's scales can be shown on the map?

But, what I wanted to concentrate are the middle 2 screens (one with the japanese guys, the other with C'tis). In both it lists 1000+ supplies, and less than 200 supply usage. The japanese shot appears to be an army, too! I was just wondering if supply will remain an issue in Dom 3?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supplies?

Nice catch. That concerms me a bit. The main thing I'm worried about is the author stated you could not customize your fortress. I hope that's not the case in the final version.
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Private

baby_arm is on a distinguished road

I should note that half the screenshots are ours and the other half are Shrapnel's. I'll probably replace them all with our own shots later tonight to avoid any confusion. The Shinuyama screen (Japanese one) isn't ours so I can't really comment on that one.

I didn't write the preview, but I did take the screenshots. It's worth mentioning that when I took the shots I was playing on a small map (you can choose much larger ones). Here's a shot of the full map. My supply usage was so small because I only had a small number of units in that province. Here's my Nation Overview so you can see how many units I had at the time (or a turn or 2 after that). It costs about 1 supply unit for every 1 human-sized unit.

As far as the fortress, you don't select which one you want during the pretender god creation like you did in Dom2, but you can construct buildings later.
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Corporal

NakedLunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Nice catch. That concerms me a bit. The main thing I'm worried about is the author stated you could not customize your fortress. I hope that's not the case in the final version.
Yep, no customization so far except for maybe actually going into the game files and modding. I hope to the high heavens that Illwinter puts it back in because while it's certainly not gameplay breaking, it's a neat feature and adds to the overall "...and the kitchen sink" feeling of the games.

Will no one help the widow's son?
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NakedLunch said:
Quote:

Yep, no customization so far except for maybe actually going into the game files and modding. I hope to the high heavens that Illwinter puts it back in because while it's certainly not gameplay breaking, it's a neat feature and adds to the overall "...and the kitchen sink" feeling of the games.
In dom2 though, there were really only a few viable fort choices, particularly on large maps. The fort system, actually, would probably be on my top 5 list of things needing overhaul from dom2. And I find it hard to believe Illwinter would simply discard the variety of forts they made, so most likely they are still there in some fashion (hopefully one that lets more of them see action in the course of games).
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

The forts things sounds a bit odd, but maybe this is solution to the watchtower spam.

Overall the interview seems quite promising.

Oh, maybe I put the screenshots to the dom3minions site? Some of the shots look very cool.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, so how is the "fort system" gonna work exactly? Any infos on this? I think that the Doms 2. system was decent for forts, I mean to select out that what kind of fortess you would like to use in the game. Hm...however...what if the player would be able to build all kind of forts in the game? I mean some territories would need big fortress, while we mostly would build smaller fortifications in border provinces. This should work for MP...but the AI would be screwed again probably with this system.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Well, the dom 2 system also allowed the amazingly popular watch tower spam. I didn't ever witness it, but from what I read it was bad.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Corporal

NakedLunch is on a distinguished road

I believe the type of fort you build is automatically selected based on the province and whatnot. I guess it's part of the whole slimming down on the micromanagement front. Personally, I'd rather be able to select your own type of fort (I know this is getting a bit on the "wish" side, but it would also be great if you could build your own custom forts like you can with pretender gods) because what you want to be built can be different that what the computer calculates. Hopefully it'll be back in, but if not it's no big deal.

Will no one help the widow's son?
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NakedLunch said:
I believe the type of fort you build is automatically selected based on the province and whatnot.

Ah sounds interesting!

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."