.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back again after absence, polling interest for a MA (learning) game

If this were a game for learners/newbies (like the guy who said he has had Dom for 3 days), how would they possibly know whether some level #9 Tartarian summoning would or would not be a better SC than something else? And even if they did, what difference does it make to a new MP game they play?

Unless it's for the benefit of those who have already played a lot, and would like to do gem-gens or whatever for the pleasure of beating beginners.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

I think you did too much thinking there JonBrave. Also the game as the host said was to check if there is an interest in a game for a learning purpouses where both new players and more experienced ones play so that the new players could learn.(always a good idea to spread as many scouts as possible to see what kindoff strategies the more experienced players use for example what gear what script on the SC and from that you can learn a lot) Also the host stated that newer players can make their own choice for a race to play with, wheres more experienced players should play with what are considered "weaker nations".

I understand your concern with people newer players not wanting to play against vets because vets would trash them, but I also think that this comunity is quite nice and would sound an alarm if it sees someone trying to do that
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

JonBrave, even beginners read guides. So not knowing isn't an argument.

The problem with only allowing weak nations for vets is that in CBM most old weak nations have received significant buffs.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

Yea the problem is that CBM is too balanced now eh:P good times.
What I said was 'preceived weak nations' and as the game is CBM then the preceived weak nations for CBM should be assigned to veterans. Like for example I've see quite a few complaints about ashdod becomming weaker(or not so OP lets say) in CBM(although I dont believe it:P). And at the end of the thay if eveyone in the game is fine about someone's nation choice it doesnt really matter that much if it is too powerful.

Although I would suggest that if you get some players that have been in HoF or seem to be experienced, then you should use your diplomatic skill and join up focusing on exterminating the early threat. This way you either get to destroy them of if they manage to beat you in a 2v1 or 3v1 war, to learn a lot about how they did it what you did wrong and use the knowledge you gained in your next game.
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

Weaker nations in CBM and MA, imho, probably includes: C'tis, Eiru, Caelum, Marignion and Pangaea. Man and Machaka was considered weak in vanilla but I have not looked through their changes much. MA Ulm is definitively not weak any more.

MA Oceania could be considered weak if another water nation is also in the game, as the other two are better. Otherwise they are just plain boring. Its hard to judge a water nations strength compared to a land nation though. It depends a bit on the map layout.