This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road
Default Sweet Mod 4.0

Well dusting off the old hard drive brought me back to the sweet mod series. Perhaps some people may remember the sweet games and the sweet mod... For those who do not know the sweet mod... well the sweet games on pbw are really really big... Huge empires, Huge Battles with weapons your not used to seeing in stock games.

Well its back and a few versons later. Almost ready for release. Just been working on it here and there over the past 15 months.

What has been changed...

Well the fighter concept was added. Mounts were tweaked , The vechile sizes were changed completely.

The Armor and shielding system has been changed to a new system that I was going to use on the unique mod. Now you have to choose between 1 of 5 armor/shield traits in empire setup. So your race will now be on of the following
1 Armor 100 shields 20 - Powerful Armor limited shields
2 Armor 80 Shields 40 - Strong Armor weak shields
3 Armor 60 Shields 60 - average armor average shields
4 Armor 40 Shields 80 - weak armor strong shields
5 Armor 20 Shields 100 - limited armor powerful shields

What does this do. Well all armor and shields and weapons and mounts are tied to the new armor/shield system. Armor races can develop powerful armor and armor weapons very quickly. They can develop shields and shield weapons slowly. The costs refect this as does the damage. The percentages also reflect the cost etc... So Say an Armor has the following traits

Name := Armor I
Description := Standard titanium armor used to protect a ship from physical damage.
Pic Num := 28
Tonnage Space Taken := 10
Tonnage Structure := 30
Cost Minerals := 50
Cost Organics := 0
Cost Radioactives := 0
Vehicle Type := Ship\Base\Sat\WeapPlat\Drone
Supply Amount Used := 0
Restrictions := None
General Group := Armor
Family := 10
Roman Numeral := 1
Custom Group := 0
Number of Tech Req := 1
Tech Area Req 1 := Armor
Tech Level Req 1 := 1
Number of Abilities := 1
Ability 1 Type := Armor
Ability 1 Descr := Is damaged before any other components on a ship.
Ability 1 Val 1 := 0
Ability 1 Val 2 := 0
Weapon Type := None

The Person who picked 1 would have the Armor 1 as that. The player who picked 5 would have the following also it would take additional research points to reseach it.

Name := Armor I
Description := Standard titanium armor used to protect a ship from physical damage.
Pic Num := 28
Tonnage Space Taken := 18
Tonnage Structure := 6
Cost Minerals := 90
Cost Organics := 0
Cost Radioactives := 0
Vehicle Type := Ship\Base\Sat\WeapPlat\Drone
Supply Amount Used := 0
Restrictions := None
General Group := Armor
Family := 10
Roman Numeral := 1
Custom Group := 0
Number of Tech Req := 1
Tech Area Req 1 := Armor
Tech Level Req 1 := 1
Number of Abilities := 1
Ability 1 Type := Armor
Ability 1 Descr := Is damaged before any other components on a ship.
Ability 1 Val 1 := 0
Ability 1 Val 2 := 0
Weapon Type := None
( this is a concept that was brought about in conversations with randlew about how to make sure no race is the same in combat)
The other major concept that was added was the removal of the advanced racial traits... they were then split between their weapons and facilites So now you can pick just organic facilities and crystaline weapons for instance.( The gandalph factor i like to call... as Gand believes that you need to take psyhic , temporal or organic to get the good weapons to win the game , so I split them out and priced them according to their weapons to add some additional fairness to the game )
Concepts as I work towards the Final Releasae verson 5.0
Another concept coming into play in the 4.1 revision is that races now must pick one of the following racial trait

Carbon Based Life Form
Mechandiod
Computer Based Life Form
I am still working on this idea and may scrap it all together. ( this is a ED Kolis idea from 2003... )

And the final concept I am working on for the Mod is the weapons core system. ( This is my idea... that i have been thinking about for a long long time )

This system will allow you to pick 2 direct fire beam weapons , 1 missle weapon , 1 projectile weapon and 1 aux weapon ( such as tractor beam, repulser beam , black hole generator etc... )
These weapons you get at cost through out the game. The other weapons that are not your core weapons will cost more to reasearch , build and store and will do less damage. To gain additional core weapons you would have to pick a advanced racial trait weapons family.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:44 PM

Corporal

ToddT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sweet Mod 4.0

sounds interesting, is there a game for it do out soon, i've defeated all the empires in Atull game finally so i'm free.
hmm looks like playing a 3 tech race this time won't be needed in this.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM

General

it would not be a sweet game without you toddt. The mounts have been corrected as per your emails way back

The game will start with the release of 5.0 to test it.

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Sergeant

Emperor's Child is on a distinguished road

I was looking over the sweet mod files and had an idea about mine cloaking levels. I posted the idea outside this thread, but thought it would work well in the sweet mod with its high number of scanner levles. Mine cloaking idea
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Corporal

ToddT is on a distinguished road

I believe someone else did that (Ed Kolis?), but it was to make ppl use mine sizes other than small and or to reseacrh up to lvl5.
i already know of a devious use of the tech.
that said given the size of minefields it would make for interesting twist, though based on what i did in another Sweet game, Tesco you had no idea what I was plotting back then, it wouldn't phase me. i had lvl 10 gravitic sensors by turn 110 i think and lvl 9 cloak and 2 turns away from lvl 10 cloaks, man was it nice, i could see everything and go any where unseen. There was a mine field as large as 309. and I was scanning every new ships design and running sims to test them as they appeared, i even had............. well any way the mine idea would make an interesting twist.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:58 PM

General

well the new sweet mod has cloaking that goes a little further.... I have debated about removing mines alltogether as they are rather cheezy in seiv As I do not believe they should detect cloaked ships and hit them.