The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Private

mastermindkar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Galactic Council needs YOU!

Thanks luke-slovakian. I love this game, Its like a David Weber novel in game form.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure to browse the help files for the mod. There are some very startling changes from the stock game. Pay particular attention to the Empire Setup help file.

http://adamant.spaceempires.net/help/
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Private

I only need the adamant mod, right? Would it cause problems if I downloaded any others?
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mastermindkar said:
I only need the adamant mod, right? Would it cause problems if I downloaded any others?
You need the ImageMod as well. Install the ImageMod in the appropriate places in the stock pictures directory. Many mods use it for extra artwork, but you only need one copy regardless of how many mods you have installed.

As long as you install mods properly, they won't conflict. Never ever overwrite the stock datafiles with a mod, excepting only the ImageMod. Install each mod in its own folder within the Space Empires folder. You don't have to worry about this with the Adamant Mod installers, however, as they automatically put everything in a new subfolder of wherever you point them to. When installing the Adamant Mod, you can just give it the root SEIV directory and it will take care of the rest. For other mods, it depends on the mod and the method of installation, but each mod should end up in a separate folder. To play a mod, you can either edit path.txt manually or use the Mod Launcher program, which I believe comes on the SEIV Gold CD.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Private

Sounds simple. On the other hand, you're talking to the man who once accidently deleted his own commmand prompt file.
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mastermindkar said:
Sounds good. Merciful monsters or not, I suspect my self-esteem is gonna take a beating.
I have the first of what will doubtless be many questions:
Which mods do I need for the game? Just the Adamant mod?
Which mods improve the game the most in general?
When I was setting an empire, the "Hardy Industrialists" trait offers a 25% construction bonus for 1000 points, but increasing your construction aptitude to 125% also costs 1000 points. Do they do the same thing?
There are tons of mods out there that modify gameplay in many different ways. Which one is "best" depends entirely on your individual opinion. IMO Adamant is a very good one, but it's also very large and I don't think much effort has been put into making the AI very good for single player. TDM Modpack is an essential for the stock game, as it makes no changes to gameplay but greatly improves the AI. For others, search the lists at Malfador and Spaceempires.net and read the descriptions.

Regarding Hardy Industrialist, it depends on the mod. In stock, Hardy Industrialist is exactly equivalent to 125% construction aptitude for planetary space yards but has no effect on ship and base space yards. It's only value is that it isn't affected by the increased cost of construction aptitude at 120%, which allows you to get up to 145% planetary construction rates for a lot cheaper. In Adamant Mod, the trait is actually a special racial tech that gives you a special version of each planetary space yard that has a higher base rate. The fact that it directly modifies the base rate means that construction aptitude and population bonuses actually multiply with it rather than adding, so Hardy Industrialist + 120% construction aptitude = 1.25 * 1.2 = +50% construction rate, plus population has 25% more effect on construction rate.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road

HAHA i once deleted my windows file and now my comp is all microsofty:-p...so i would play on my family machine ahah
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Private

Okay, I downloaded the image mod into my space empires IV folder, and then I downloaded the adamant mod in to the SE IV folder too. I know the image mod is working because the start-up screen has a new cooler picture. How do I use the adamant (and other) mods?
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The image mod does not include a startup screen. Are you sure you placed the Adamant Mod into its own folder? There should be an Adamant folder in the SEIV folder.

The best way to load mods is to use the Mod Launcher. Place it in the SEIV folder and load it instead of SE4 directly.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Private

Okay, I can now play the Adamant mod, thankyou for your help. Btw, are you going to be on my team Imperator?