World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM

Corporal

Silent Sorrow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem installing TDM-Modpack

Quote:
Mephisto said:
The installer searches your registry for the correct install location (but has to do some tricks that might fail because of a install text string missing in the registry).

It will check if this (or your manual selection) points it to the correct install location. If it reports the error "There is no SE4 executable in the target directory. Continue anyway? Yes? No?" then your have point it most likely NOT to the correct location and TDM will not install correctly.
Yeah, I understand that. I just look in the folder and see where the exe is and change the install path so it point there. But the strange thing is it still gives me that error message (though the game is playable).

Quote:
TDM is supposed to reside under [Space Empires Main Folder]\TDM and you have to point it to the folder where the SE4.exe is located, i.e. [Space Empires Main Folder], not a submenu of the main folder! The installer will create a subdirectory on its own and install to the correct location if you point it to the location the SE4.exe is.
Yep, this is what I've done but as stated above I still get that odd message.

Quote:
Are you sure that you have pointed the installer to the correct Space Empires folder? To which location did you install TDM? When you start SE4 with TDM, does the intro screen tell you that you are using TDM?
It installs and then I use Matryx to launch and it all shows up properly. But what I've been wondering is if the initial install problems are what subsequently causes the crashes I've been getting.

Anyway, I'm going to do what another poster recommended here and use the RAR files. I think it must have something to do with that particular file (although it comes from the TDM link in the FAQ on this board so you would think it would be safe/OK).
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Corporal

Silent Sorrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arkcon said:
OK, so I go to: http://tdm.otaku42.de/ and I download TDM-Modpack ver 3.40 for Gold (I already have it installed, but what the hey, its just a test). The exe does its search, and wants to load the TDM Modpack to folder: C:\PROGRA~1\SHRAPN~1\MALFAD~1\Space Empires IV. Which is not where SE4 is installed on my system, its in folder: "C:\Program Files\Shrapnel Games\Malfador Machinations\Space Empires IV Gold\".

I think when I loaded the TDM modpack most recently, I selected another folder, then moved it in file manager to where I wanted it. Apparantly so did Fyron. Mephisto, the .exe may need some tweaks to help out some total noobs.
Yeah, this is exactly what I see, but I already figured out that I should change it just as you did. Still got that "exe not in folder" message though. But it does install.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

All for a few percent...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

I will check the installer when I find some time.

Fyron, the installer has nothing to do with gaining any percent but to help newbies who don't understand and don't want to understand how SE4 is looking for mods. I know that you don't like the installer but you just don't have to. Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies. I wasn't meaning to annoy or offend. It was a lame attempt at humor.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

It's ok, let us just forget about it.
I tested the install on my machine and couldn't replicate the error. Until I get access to a machine where it does not work I cannot do much. I'm sorry.