Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post

The shot was rifle fire from either 3 or 4 hexes and caused a hit.

No hits. Fire was rifle and LMG from ranges between 3 and 8 hexes.
The first squad took a casualty, which can often result in 99 suppression (rout status).

Casualties have the greatest affect on possible suppression.

Cross
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:31 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

Bottom line - suppression is complex, and determined by random factors in morale tests.

Andy
Does this mean it's determined strictly by random factors? So if 1000 rounds are fired at a unit in a hex the results might be the same as if 10 rounds were fired?
A bit extreme but probably possible.
Its not arbitary random as I said you can predict the expected outcome, its percentages like playing a board game with 2 D6 dice as an anology which creates randomness.
So normaly yoy would expect to roll 7s or something near but you can roll snake eyes which many games use to triger a special event or rare event.
So if on the checks the game "rolls" 3 snake eyes in a row something very unusual happens.
Applies to virtually everything in the game I think & is no diffrent to the guy that pulls off a hit with a 2% to hit only to have it bounce off when it should have easily penetrated.
Doesnt happen often but it can.
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

NO... suppression is NOT determined strictly by random factors. Did I not say as much in post #2 ?

It involves your units experience, morale, the leadership qualities of the officer or NCO in change along with the distance the shots came because point blank fire has higher effects and it involves the speed the unit was moving when attacked and how many times it's been rallied. ALL that and more goes into calculation suppression and on top of that we introduce random factors to ensure the game does not become predictable. However, if all you do is judge the game by extraordinary examples that creates an skewed view of the game and how it works and next thing we know we are being asked if "suppression is determined strictly by random factors " but YES, if you play the game long enough you will see things like units taking more suppression than normal with fewer shots that normal and THAT'S NORMAL -------the random factors are there so the game isn't ...." OK he shot at me three times and hit once so I get 8 points of suppression"...... so YES, you may even see a case where "1000 rounds are fired at a unit in a hex the results might be the same as if 10 rounds were fired" even though this is a gross exaggeration of what happens in the game because 99 is the max you can suppress and after that nothing accumulates.

I guess my problem here is I cannot understand why you cannot understand why the game needs to occasionally give unpredictable results but it would seem in this case that others might have a better chance at explaining this but I will ask this..... was WaW really THAT predictable when it came to combat results ?

Don
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Corporal

Warmonger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I guess my problem here is I cannot understand why you cannot understand why the game needs to occasionally give unpredictable results but it would seem in this case that others might have a better chance at explaining this but I will ask this..... was WaW really THAT predictable when it came to combat results ?

Don
On the contrary, I understand and agree with having unpredictable results. My problem is with extreme results not commensurate with the effort expended. One shot shouldn't take a unit out of action for the remainder of the scenario. Maybe if the unit was green, but this was a unit with experience in the 70's. In the other case you had two platoons open up on a unit with everything they had and it got no suppression. Heck, even if they were all firing into the air, the racket alone would have made the unit duck.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

Bear in mind that outlier results don't determine a trend.

Yeah, sometimes a unit can be paralyzed from one or two casualties but it happens quite rarely.
Yeah, sometimes a unit can seem to ignore volleys of machine gun fire. It also happens quite rarely.

By and large, low experience/morale units will bail a lot, while high experience/morale troops will be very resilient. Do a 1941/42 game of americans vs japanese to view the difference, or 41 soviet vs german.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
[ One shot shouldn't take a unit out of action for the remainder of the scenario.
Really ? One shot took a unit out for the entire scenario ???

Really ?

One shot ??

Please do post it.

We would ALL like to see that save game.

Don