Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Motorcycle/bike inf question/weirdness

Been Motorcycle Soldier myself for the Swiss army let tell you there is no difference in getting prone from a motorbike then any other infantry - it's just the motorcycle isn't worth picking up again...

By the way the Bicylce troops still train quick dropping. But not quit over the handle like in the picture further up posted, never was, that always was only a chow effect.

Good link for some nice Swiss army imressions
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

My initial thought was, "Going prone on a motorcycle is easy! After you stop skidding though you might not be able to get up again." Then again, you've got the new Transformers movie that shows a guy sliding about thirty feet after "going prone" from a bike and using that to his advantage. Pats, did you ever get training in that?

Howard Tayer
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road

No, unfortunatly the Swiss army liked their bikes intact - but most of us had a bit unofficial training in or outside the military service.
We did a few other nice tricks, like hanging sidewise on the saddle or changing postion with the passanger while riding the bike ;-)
Still, I don't see a reason why cyclists should be easier to hit then infantry...
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats View Post
No, unfortunatly the Swiss army liked their bikes intact - but most of us had a bit unofficial training in or outside the military service.
We did a few other nice tricks, like hanging sidewise on the saddle or changing postion with the passanger while riding the bike ;-)
Still, I don't see a reason why cyclists should be easier to hit then infantry...
No expert here though have dismounted a few times from motorbikes.
Firstly probably delay in reacting if don't hear shot over engines,
once you have got off readying weapons to return fire could take a while depending on how you landed.
Getting off a couple of factors apply one being speed but the bigger one is terrain. getting off in an area of your choosing which is flat & has nothing to slide into is relativly safe. Rough terrain coming over a rise is not & rocks or trees for you to slide into are what cause the real damage. Also & dont know if do but coming off with equipment being carried or attached would only increase the chance of injury.
You can react fast & get off unhurt of that there is no boudt I once did an emergency drop & had time to aim it for the space sit on it & slide resulting in nothing more than a warm bum. Bad terrain or misjudgement results in a heavy landing as I can also testify to.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I think Bicycle/motor should be easier io suppress and kill.
If you think about it leg units in battle usally have thier arms in hand, do bike/motorcycles?
Yes the sidecar can carry a mmg but cannot fully traverse and with the driver on board cant fire on that side.
Also, on the other side of the coin (in a arty hit), would they be able to pick-up their mangled bikes and still all units move at full speed?
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Motorcycle/bike inf question/weirdness

While I have not used MC's in MBT, I have used them to good effect in WWII.

I like to use them in a vanguard/scouting role. The trick I find is to dismount before being hit. I've even gone as far as having them dismount every turn as they move forward. Their main job is to either give me forewarning of the EN LOC or to move into important objectives using their speed and hold until the Main Body can get there.

Since being able to dismount MC units their lifespan on the battlefield has increased greatly. MC's also if in the right spots make great MEDEVAC units to get badly mauled squads to the rear areas. Bumpy rides vs. being dead are a pretty good trade off I think.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Ketch View Post
My initial thought was, "Going prone on a motorcycle is easy! After you stop skidding though you might not be able to get up again."
I know from experience that is true!
A fractured leg abrasions and broken clavicle (collarbone)
I doubt a soldier could shoulder a firearm in that condition
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post

I like to use them in a vanguard/scouting role. The trick I find is to dismount before being hit. I've even gone as far as having them dismount every turn as they move forward. Their main job is to either give me forewarning of the EN LOC or to move into important objectives using their speed and hold until the Main Body can get there.

Since being able to dismount MC units their lifespan on the battlefield has increased greatly. MC's also if in the right spots make great MEDEVAC units to get badly mauled squads to the rear areas. Bumpy rides vs. being dead are a pretty good trade off I think.

Bob out
I recently discovered the dismounted motorcycle troops in SPWW2 myself. I found that they were a very valuable asset. The thing I did find with them though is the motorcycle unit was probablly classified as a viechle since I lost most of them to 50mm AP fire from some ATGs. They seemed easier to kill with anti viechle weaponry. It could very well be that their ride is factored into their "aliveness" like gila's comment may alude to.
Quote:
Also, on the other side of the coin (in a arty hit), would they be able to pick-up their mangled bikes and still all units move at full speed? (emphasis added)
If a motor unit doesn't have the "motor" anymore, can they fuction in their designed capacity? I realize that just because you lost your ride it doesn't mean you can't fight, but for the purposes of the game...

Howard Tayer
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Corporal

harlikwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post

Bob out
How do you dismount the MC infantry? Is it a key command?
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

In SPWW2 there are dismountable MC units. There are none in MBT.

Don