Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Range Key Doesn't Work

Although this has probably been mentioned here a thousand times, I for one have never noticed it, and in my case is a bit irritating.

As long as winSPWW2 has had the range key (Y) my favorite key to hit in that list never works, so that I then have to mouse over to it, which I would rather not do. The key that isn't working for the longest is (H). It's working would quite helpful to set ranges to half. I am on V.4, and it hasn't worked on any of the versions as far as I can remember. Thanks.
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range Key Doesn't Work

Suggest check your keyboard both H & Y have always worked, do you have them assigned as hot keys to other running programs which take precidence.
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Although this has probably been mentioned here a thousand times, I for one have never noticed it, and in my case is a bit irritating.

As long as winSPWW2 has had the range key (Y) my favorite key to hit in that list never works, so that I then have to mouse over to it, which I would rather not do. The key that isn't working for the longest is (H). It's working would quite helpful to set ranges to half. I am on V.4, and it hasn't worked on any of the versions as far as I can remember. Thanks.
You are correct. There is a problem there. The reason it HAS NOT been "mentioned here a thousand times" is becasue most people mouse over and cannot be bothered with short cut keys ( like me ..) and AFAIK this is the FIRST time anyones bothered to complain

Don
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Sergeant

Thank you DRG, it's good to know that it was the first time mentioned. Somehow or other, I run this game almost completely from the keyboard, even battlefield scrolling. Using scrolling off the mouse just doens't work too well to my satisfaction, and the zoom doesn't work at all from there, which are probably the two most common things I would use a mouse for. I am also unaware of any other commands offhand that I can use a mouse for, since the game was especially made, it seems to me, to have been keyboard-driven in the first place (can't fire guns with a mouse etc.).
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Suggest check your keyboard both H & Y have always worked, do you have them assigned as hot keys to other running programs which take precidence.
I was talking about the H key not working once the Y key (range) had been used. In that sub-menu it does not work, but all the others do.
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you DRG, it's good to know that it was the first time mentioned. Somehow or other, I run this game almost completely from the keyboard, even battlefield scrolling. Using scrolling off the mouse just doens't work too well to my satisfaction, and the zoom doesn't work at all from there, which are probably the two most common things I would use a mouse for. I am also unaware of any other commands offhand that I can use a mouse for, since the game was especially made, it seems to me, to have been keyboard-driven in the first place (can't fire guns with a mouse etc.).
Simply mouse over the potential target - see the cursor change to cross hairs? - left click to fire. I've been doing that since SP1.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

And the 'T' key gives about 30% range when the hotkey is pressed but 3/4 when the mouse is used. There is a conflict someplace in that range code

Don
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Private

nuNce is on a distinguished road

I'd also like an hotkey to choose 1/2 the range, since is the one I use the most. During the first turn I check all my unit ranges and set them to an appropriate value, with leaders set to a lower distance.
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Simply mouse over the potential target - see the cursor change to cross hairs? - left click to fire. I've been doing that since SP1.

Cheers
Andy
Upon further review, you are right, but I am using both hands at the same time. It's quite simple to move or turn the facing of a unit with the mouse, while hitting fire with the left hand. Say, does this game still have units retain their previous targets from the prior half-turn? IOW, when the opponent has it's turn, and your unit in question fires, then when it's your turn again it will or will not have that same target? I'm under the impression that some SP's have kept that target, while I'm thinking current winSPWW2 does not. You like to try to repeat targets if possible, for at least those SP games where that worked (build accuracy).

I think another reason I ignore a good many of the mouse-driven menu is not only because I find it clumsy but because I've had damage to my wrist over so long that I'm looking for ways to ease the mouse pain, plus of course wanting to utilize both hands if possible. With more modern gameplay, I scarcely use keyboard commands at all. It often boils down to how easy it is to reach a frequent commnd. It seems easier to me to hit Y and then H, as opposed to mousing way up to the top right, then hitting the correct icon (the Y one) and then scrolling down to click the H selection. I also would rather hit F with my left hand and see if the last target fired at is the one I want, then I might hit F again to try a few more possibilities, and then perhaps unzoom a bit hitting the minus key. I just never would think of moving the mouse to a target I might desire (saving the mouse mostly for facing and movement) partially because I have no idea which target the unit last fired at.

The opposite of that is a more modern game I've played quite a lot of in the past months, Sins of a Solar Empire. I don't think there's a single keyboard command I use and that may be partly because unlike SP, the keyboard shortcut isn't labeled on the icons.
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
And the 'T' key gives about 30% range when the hotkey is pressed but 3/4 when the mouse is used. There is a conflict someplace in that range code

Don
Ah, I could have swore it was working. You must be right though. I was probably just checking if the hotkeys changed or not, say from full range, therefore didn't notice that it wasn't 75%. I don't know if I ever used the T command before I thought I was checking it, but at least the half key sees significant use. Unfortunately the half key doesn't change the range at all.