.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lost in Time and Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
Hey JK, I've no idea what background those lost in space fights will use but probably somewhat spacy.. is it possible I can set them to be the backgroudn for forest provinces in my dom 3K mod (forest are space provinces there)
Or perhaps be able to set Void as a terrain type.
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Odd - I'm sure I've had Ice Devils caught in Cocytos for more than one turn before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Devils don't have a bonus, but Arch Devils have a 100% chance to return from Inferno and Ice Devils have the same for Cocytos. The wielder of the Tome of the Lower Planes has a 50% chance to escape from them each turn.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

One more thing, Johan, if one of the R'lyeh units summon units from the Void gate they can get assassinated by void beings. But the battle happens in the battleground for the province that the Void gate is in, i.e. the sea floor. Wouldn't it make more sense to have these battles happen on the Void battleground, too?
Emergency comic relief
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One more thing, Johan, if one of the R'lyeh units summon units from the Void gate they can get assassinated by void beings. But the battle happens in the battleground for the province that the Void gate is in, i.e. the sea floor. Wouldn't it make more sense to have these battles happen on the Void battleground, too?
I don't really think so, since the summoner isn't actually going into the void gate, they're just using it. The void beings have to come through the gate to get to the caster... so it makes sense to have the battle on the sea floor.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
Odd - I'm sure I've had Ice Devils caught in Cocytos for more than one turn before.

Quote:
Devils don't have a bonus, but Arch Devils have a 100% chance to return from Inferno and Ice Devils have the same for Cocytos. The wielder of the Tome of the Lower Planes has a 50% chance to escape from them each turn.
Let's say they seem to have some bonus, I don't know what it really does. I have inspected the item data and the unit data, and the Tome of the Lower Planes grants two things with value 50, which the Arch Devils and Ice Devils have with value 100 respectively. Maybe it's a percentage bonus to their escape roll, I haven't looked yet.

Okay, now I have looked, and the game does differentiate between being "Lost in Time and Space", aka the Void, and being lost in "some hell", aka Inferno and Cocytos. Being lost in the hells works like this:

- Every unit in them has an 8% chance to escape each hosting, plus their bonus value, which means that 100% units automatically escape
- Fire and Water magic skill respectively should probably get involved into the checks, but while it is queried, the value is never used.

- If they did escape, they have a 50/50 chance of popping up in a province under your control, or just any random province
- If they did escape and had some Fire/Water magic skill on them, then they'll have a 10% chance to increase their skill in it by one if it was between one and four.

- if they didn't escape, then they have a 50/50 chance to get attacked by monsters, units without commanders die instantly.

- in Inferno, there's a 50/50 chance to fight 2xD30 Imps (303) or 1xD8 Devils (304)
- in Cocytos, there's a:

27 out of 64 chance for 1xD8 Frost Fiend (449)
1 out of 4 chance for 1x Ice Elemental (831)
3 out of 16 chance for 2xD10 Unfrozen (1203)
9 out of 64 chance for 1xD20 Winter Wolf (511)

all these rolls are like DRNs, crits are rerolled and added to the sum.

Being lost in the Void works similarly to this, but astral magic actually does make a difference in the escape rolls, and some other stuff, too, and it might raise your astral magic like with fire/water above.

P.S.: It might be that a unit's escape roll throws them right back into the hell, if they'd escape to one of the hells or the void, but that's about the only thing that would make an Ice Devil stay in Cocytos for longer than a turn. Maybe he was in the Void or Inferno instead.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; January 10th, 2009 at 10:31 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Damn impressive.. how in the hell do you figure these things man?
Reverse assemble?

Ich, I don't know if you saw my other post -but since voice of apsu was made from any territory, to only your territories could you look at the differences between the patches to figure out the flag for ownly own territories?
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Ich, I don't know if you saw my other post -but since voice of apsu was made from any territory, to only your territories could you look at the differences between the patches to figure out the flag for ownly own territories?
There is a change that was done to Voice of Apsu between patches 3.15 and 3.17, which the other remote search spells already had, but I don't think that it can be achieved by modding right now. The things that can be modded, like #effect and #damage and so on, are the same like before. You could use #copyspell and overwrite the values that you want changed, though.

Last edited by lch; January 11th, 2009 at 06:59 AM..
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM

General

Out of curiosity, I had a look at how being lost in the void works, too. I'm not as sure about it as I am about being lost in the hells, but this should be close enough:

- units without a commander have a 10% chance to escape the void into a friendly province
- units with commanders have the same chance plus a bonus of 20% per commanders astral level
- otherwise, according to what I can see, they should escape into a totally random province

- it seems that there's a 50% chance, minus 10% per commander's astral level, to get feebleminded upon escape. the code looks somewhat erroneous, though.

- if the unit escaped, there's a 30% chance to be affected by peering into the void. If the unit had less than 5S magic, it gains 2xD50 insanity, crits are rerolled like DRN, and if it was a commander then it gets +1S magic.

Now, if there wasn't an escape:

- units without voidsanity have a 99% chance to get 1xD6 insanity, crits rerolled
- units with voidsanity have a chance of voidsanity% to avoid this

Then there's a chance for encounters with void beings, at 20%.

- like in the hells, units without commander are killed immediately.
- in 3 out of 4 cases, the fight is against 1xD25 (no crits rerolled) void monsters.
- otherwise, in 1 out of 4, there will be an assassination attempt, but I don't really understand this enough. There's a 5% chance to fight a single assassin (a doom horror, maybe?) and otherwise, up to two other assassins.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; January 11th, 2009 at 08:49 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
R'lyeh is pronounced "rull-yeh," not Ryallah.

-Max
Actually, since no human has ever heard the true pronounciation (and lived) you should not be so certain, you post-signer, you

I'm not sure if this is specific to the void gate in R'yleh, but I once got an Etherlord lost in the void, and when he returned he had 1 point of Summoning Skill, that skill Starspawn has that lets them summon more powerful beings in the void gate.

Twas a bit testing to try to use the void gate. I tried thrice, and every time I got attacked by the things he summoned and then he got lost in the void. He returned twice, but then never again

Do ether lords have a bonus for that sort of thing by the way?
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

If no-one has ever heard it and lived and presumably no Old One has ever written it in the western alphabet, where did anyone get the word Rlyeh from in the first place?