This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Thinking About Buying An XBox360

I haven't bought a console game system since Super Nintendo and recently have been considering the thought of breaking down and actually buying a system.

Mainly so that I will have something to do with my nephews since they suck at PC games but excel at console games. Ya go figure.

Any who, the kids say that the Xbox 360 is the best system out. I priced this system and O M F G! $600.00 for a complete system including only ONE game.

I ask you is it worth it? Are the games any good? Most appear to be PC games so I am sure they are ok, but MY GOOD GOD $600.00 for a console? (This doesn't include tax)

I just don't know... $600.00 plus for a gaming system???? Man I just don't know.
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:40 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Thinking About Buying An XBox360

Umm... Xbox 360 is $600? /me thinks you are talking about the PS3...
How old are your nephews anyway? Yes, I am trying to steer you toward Nintendo
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Six hundred what?
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if i would be you (or me) i would buy a PS-2 with a modship. I have PS2 with a modchip since 2003 and its awesome. It plays backups and movies and importants and it has a load of good games, even though the days of "her" generation are about to end. Of course i only got the PS2 because i love RPGs, and we all know developers love doing RPGs for Sony.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Corporal

AAshbery76 is on a distinguished road

I bought a PS2 back in the day,and only ever got 2 games.I will never buy another console.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

I bought a PS2 for my son years ago and wound up buying another for me to play Gran Turismo. I won’t buy another console even though the next Gran Turismo is supposed to be far better.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

AT get an xbox and mod it you will have xmbc at your fingers and tons of games. And the cost will be under 200 dollars...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

600 is the PS3.

Keep in mind you won't get the full benefit out of either system unless you have a HDTV or hook it up to your computer monitor. Certain X-Box 360 games basically can't be played on a standard TV because they get too blurry..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM

Sergeant

Kevin Arisa is on a distinguished road

I would absolutly recommend Wii. Not only is motion control awesome, but the price tag is pretty too. You are never too old for Nintendo.

A- Se GdY $- Fr! C- Css Sf+++ Ai Au M++ Mp* S++ Ss+++ RV Pw Fq Nd Rp+ MM+ G Bb L- Tcp+
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Private

Jarena is on a distinguished road

Working at Gamestop for the last month or so taught me quite a bit about next gen. So here's the wisdom I can pass on to you:

PS3: complete crap, probably for the next year or so too. Sony's trying to shove blue-ray down consumers' throats. Unless you MUST HAVE the graphics (but...you play SE), or you're planning on investing everything in blue-ray DVDs, save your money. The games (that are out) for PS3 are all, without exception, better on 360. If they're not, they suck (really, they do... look at the reviews for the Gundam game)
But there's Resistance: Fall of man, which is pretty fun I hear.
So, a $600 (without HDTV cables, costs extra) machine for playing Resistance, then Metal Gear and Final Fantasy (when they come out)
Lame.
It can play PS1 and PS2 games, though. Huge library.

360: Depends if you're online or not. If you're a big one for internet multiplayer, 360 can't be touched. Good, solid release list of games you'll actually want to play (Halo 2, Gears of War, Morrowind, NBA, Madden, Project Gotham, etc) X-Box Live (the $50/year internet service) can't be touched by anything out now. If you play a lot of games, and if you dig muliplayer that's not splitscreen, go for this. Especially if your friends have this. Biggest next-gen game library of the next-gen systems, but only certain X-Box games work on the 360 (mostly the popular ones). That, and they're easy to find now because they've been out for a year.

Wii: This is the one I have. I don't recommend this if you're a hardcore "gamer", because you'll be left wanting your halos and final fantasies, but this system is nothing but pure, unadulterated fun - provided you have people around. The controller is a wireless motion sensor that translates your actions into what your character is doing on-screen (it's your gun for shooters, your sword, your tennis racket, etc), but this is one of the best things to do when you're looking to kill time with friends. I got mine about a week ago and picked up a few extra controllers while I was on Thanksgiving break. Once I brought it to school my roomates and I set the system up in our lounge and started playing. Within an hour nearly EVERYONE in the hall was crowded into the lounge area. It's almost a spectator sport. It's the kind of thing that breaks down barriers. EVERYONE wants to play it (whereas, say, the shoot-em-ups on the X-Box turn people off, as does Madden, or Gran Turismo, etc) but within the last week, our floor (and whoever else wanders by) has, for the most part, been playing the Wii instead of going to the pre-finals parties.
That's some draw.
Haha, I'm going on and on about this but I am a Nintendo fanboy. Get this one for sure if you spend a lot of time around people, it's definitely worth it.
(plus, you can download the classic NES/Super NES/N64/Sega games too... for cost, at least - but it's cheap)

As an aside, working at Gamestop has taught me more about video games than I ever wanted to know. If you have any questions... don't hesitate.

(ps, someone bought SEV at our store the other day. I sent him to download BalanceMod, haha)