War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Private

winovin is on a distinguished road
Default Widescreen Resolution Support?

Hi,

Does WinSPWW2 support widescreen displays (e.g. laptop/widescreen monitor)? I would like to play the game in 1280x800 and 1920 x 1024 - any way I can do this?

Thanks
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Widescreen Resolution Support?

No - only the standard windows resolutions as shown on the resoltions dialogue of the game options programme.

In windowed mode, setting to a higher resolution may allow this (it should take only the available desktop, less the taskbar), but that also depends on what your monitor does if asked to display that resolution - most happily accept it and revert to the next available one down, some object.

cheers
Andy
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Private

Is there any chance that Shrapnel/Camo could fix this? Who can I contact about this issue? I already contacted Shrapnel, but they did not understand my question:

QUESTION TO SHRAPNEL:
Hello,

I use a widescreen laptop and wanted to know if WinSPWW2 supports widescreen resolutions (for my current or future laptops/widescreen desktop displays)?

e.g. 1280 x 800? 1920 x 1600 (24" desktop)?

ANSWER FROM SHRAPNEL:
Hello,

From the game manual,

This Guide is designed to be Viewed on 1152x864 wide or wider monitor display settings. If you have trouble reading the text at this display size or to view the guide without a scrollbar at the bottom you may need to adjust the "Text Size" in the "View" Tab of Internet Explorer. To use it in a 640 wide mode, it is best to open the guide up, then use the "open in new window" trick mentioned below to view the right pane only, keeping the original 2 pane view for navigation. If you do not know how to set your monitor display, refer to your Microsoft Windows Help documentation.

Point at the heading bars in the left frame with the mouse, on clicking there the sub headings list will drop down, click a sub heading to go to that section. (IE 5, right click on the subtopic, select 'open in new window' , should you want to open up a second window, e.g. to compare 2 sections of the guide). To find a particular word in the main text, use your browser's search facility, with IE5 this is under 'Edit/Find on this Page', but ensure you clicked on the right (this) pane first, or it will just search the left (Table Of Contents) pane. "

I hope this answers your question. There is more information in the game manual ( a file included with the free download of the game), and the game's developers actively answer questions at our user forums:

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I cannot program (and test) for some resolution that I do not have the hardware to hand to ensure that something weird and wacky does not happen.

Laptops can have strange resolutions - like 1450 by 1012 or such like. Depends on the manufacturer - and I am not about to go and buy every laptop out there to test on!.

Therefore - only the standard Windows desktop resolutions (which can be tested & verified on a CRT monitor) were the ones implemented. Most laptops with a proprietary native screen display can usually emulate at least one of the default Windows formats in full-screen mode.

As I stated before - try the game in windowed mode, and set the resolution to a higher one than your screen if you want to try utilising your proprietary screen's full pixels. Then see if your hardware will allow it. Some will, some wont, and some wide-screens will allow it, but stretch the display. It all depends on your laptop's own individual proprietary screen driver, and what it does.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Private

Andy,

Why not allow the game to go to the same Windows resolution as the desktop?

Also, the market share of widescreen resolution is increasing, both in desktop LCDs and notebook displays.

There are a number of widescreen resolutions, but they seem standardized, all 1.6:1 aspect ratio.

e.g.
1280x800
1680x1050
1920x1200

Also, is WinSPWW2 supported on Vista?

Thanks,

Winovin
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:29 AM

The game goes to the same mode as the desktop - if you select windowed mode, as already stated.

However - and as other wide-screen laptop users have reported (I don't have one myself, my IBM R50e is 1024x768 standard windows format), most will happily take a request for 1280x1024 and display it as 1280x800, with a deduction at the bottom of screen for the taskbar. However some 1280 widescreen laptops, if given a request for that resolution will barf. Ditto if you give it a request for 1600x1280 (for say the Dells etc with 14XX by something native screens). So you need to test against the particular driver the manufacturer supplies.

Laptops with thier often weird and wacky native screen formats can do strange things (like stretching the display), and not just for this game either. I am not going to release something that I cannot test on actual hardware pre-release, and I am not going to go out and buy a zillion different laptops either .

Cheers
Andy