War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: I know how to solve global warming

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
Cutting forests dosen't help, but the billions of tons of hydrocarbons we dig and pump out of the ground to burn is the big thing.
I don't recall where I read or even heard this, but it was speculated that we are causing the planets core and mantel to heat up by drilling and removing such things as natural gas, oil, and methane. ????? I don't see how this would matter, but thought I would post the info any ways in hopes that someone may have more info.
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

I do admit I get a kick out of people saying mankind will be long extinct as if it will happen some time in the next few years or something.

No offense people but Mankind has been believing it will go extinct within the next few years or few decades or yadda yadda. Yeah for the first time in our history that we KNOW of mankind is capable of making it's self go extinct on a massive scale but for the most part MOST humans are to smart to do anything to completely exterminate ourselves....except for the Iranians who seem to want to bring an end to the world but if they even TRY it iran will be the only glowing crater in this world.

Now if we can get our collective heads together and start working on a space program for the entire civilized world (mideast/africa are not likely to get anywhere) we can easily set up colonies on Mars, Luna, and several of Titan's moons from what I've read not to mention Io.

Yeah they'd be harsh places to live for a while but so was every colony man has ever established even on Earth.

Then again if you listen to some very interesting theories that I've heard Mankind did not originate on Earth at all but are likely the survivors of a colony from God knows where.

Heck I've even heard people use this as an explanation FOR evolution (i.e the reason there is no missing link is because our ancestors had nothing to do with the previous "species" of man but instead were transplanted here.)

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Starhawk said:
I do admit I get a kick out of people saying mankind will be long extinct as if it will happen some time in the next few years or something.

I think I'm the only person that's made that reference, and it was refering to the time when the earth's geological activity stops.

In order for us to be around at that point we'd have to survive longer than ANY species in the history of the entire planet. I don't see that as likely.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

Our desendants will be around then but just not in our current form. Maybe if these "Grays" are real (probably not) then they are us traveling back in time to study their primitive ancestors; the same as biologists today travel and study our way. Maybe the Earth in their time is not the same or even none existant.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AngleWyrm said:
An article that summarizes global temperature changes, from 1977 to 2002.

That chart is marked in .1 of a degree. Not exactly a large change.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

It doesn't take all that much to start melting the poles, though, and the temperature doesn't appear to stop rising anytime soon.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Averaged over an entire planet, that's a lot.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

While it can be argued many ways with carbon dioxide, if it has a significant impact on warming, or insignificant, or even no impact, the cutting of forests does have some impact (at least locally; it would be harder to prove global impact). If you have a large area of trees, they are taking the incoming energy to convert to sugars, and reflecting some back out, but there is little re-radiation as heat. If you have clear-cut land, there is no conversion of energy to create sugars, and a lot more is re-radiated as heat. You can see the effects of things like this by watching a local weather report; temperatures inside a city will consistently be higher than surrounding areas, because all the concrete and non-green land area is turning sunlight into more heat energy than there would be in more "natural" settings.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

It also affects weather patterns. For example, as I mentioned below, my area has a hundreds of thousands of acres of dead trees. This has changed our weather in a few ways. For example, we no longer get thunderstorms. Up until even a few years ago, we got thunderstorms all the time. I blame this on the dead trees. Think about it; when you have millions of live trees around, on hot days a whole lot of water will evaporate from these trees, helping to create thunderstorms on hot days. When you have dead trees, the water is instead absorbed deeper underground, and less water is evaporated on hot days, since there isn't as much as easily available. Result: no thunderstorms. At least, that's my theory.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

AngleWyrm is on a distinguished road

Thunderstorms...Florida has a whole lot of thunder storms, and they say it's because it's a sand bar that tosses up wet salty silicon dust into the air.