The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:51 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the "King of the Hill"?

KOTH Match: Slynky -vs- Rextorres 2406.3

Trithian Empire surrenders to Rex Enclave. A few battles this way and that in the earlier game but the Last battle where the Enclave broke through one of my main defenses with over 50 ships was a blow I couldn't take. I would complain of bad luck, but as things were, it wouldn't have mattered very much. My 71 satellites were as far away from the warp hole as I have ever seen satellites placed before (which put his fleet too far away for me to have much of a chance of hitting a ship...I believe I got one hit in around 125 shots). But when they closed in on me, I couldn't hit but one shot in 20 anyway. Besides that, my fleet was on the opposite side of the satellites...so his fleet moved out of range of the satellites. Though my fleet of around 15 ships was technically out teched by ECM 2/Sensor 2 (I had 1 and 1) and fully trained to 20/20, I could only hit him about 1 out of 10 shots (and only about 2 out of 5 if was beside a ship of his!). I just got ECM 2 Last turn and Sensor 2 this turn...not EVEN enough time to refit the other 50 ships I have built (and fully trained).

Map distribution was about even, I guess. Rex got a bit over half the map to himself. So, I can't complain about that. Basically, he just outplayed me with solid play. I tried to play a bit differently than I usually do, taking a few chances, but he caught me after a few turns and "fixed" things... .

Congrats to Rex the KING!

PS: Ahhhh, what was I thinking...if he beat Asmala, what did I expect anyway, right? Also, I didn't post any game updates as I usually do since it doesn't seem to be Rex's style. So, we played in "silence" so to speak.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:14 AM

Sergeant

rextorres is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

I think were the game turned was when you couldn't box me into the corner of the galaxy - in the initial part of the game. It seems like you had the center ring of the spiral and I was in a corner. If you had beat me to what turned out to be my junction point to the rest of the galaxy you would have starved me.

As it was I was low on mins throughout the game.

After your initial attack I was sweating that you were going to attack again right away - if you had you would have done real damage as my entire main fleet ran out of gas.

[ October 23, 2003, 03:16: Message edited by: rextorres ]
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Stone Mill is on a distinguished road

Just catching up on the latest...

Congrats to you, RexTorres! Persistence pays indeed.

And Geo, you are one talented scribe!

Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:24 PM

Captain

Asmala is on a distinguished road

I've updated the KOTH page. Remind me if I have forgotten something.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:17 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Year 2402.0 The Trithian Empire (Slynky) versus the Arcadia League (Alneyan)

Settings: No mines, zero racial points, intelligence disabled. Everything else as default.

Contact was made peacefully Last month with an unknown species at one of the League outer colonies. The casualties were war within the range of acceptable losses for such an operation, ranging only between two and four million settlers or so, who were busy constructing defences when the attack occurred. Contact has yet to be made, but we still expect to solve this dispute diplomatically. The matter shall now be handed to the military, which will supervise the deployment of warships. These will be used to ensure our point is made and well understood by these unknown beings.

So. I was wondering about Slynky when he reassured me by making contact and destroying a colony in the mean time. Annoying, but it was my fault for forgetting to put defences *before* the attack. Unfortunately for me, battle happens before production.

As for economics, I had quite a good start, so I won't be able to blame the map this time, but merely my own silliness. (I forgot to put settlers on one of my colonizers, resulting in a delay of five months. *Sighs*) Both our Empires are quite similar in design, save for the fact he took another advanced trait I don't have. And it seems like Slynky put this trait to good use, but what else should I expect from him?

Before these negotiations, I was slighty ahead according to the score since turn 10 or so. But we all known the score is deceptive. At least, it helps raising the morale to know I am not behind in this field. Now, how to retaliate against Slynky remains an open question. Or how to survive for that matter.

[ November 23, 2003, 13:34: Message edited by: Alneyan ]
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:20 PM

General

Year 2403.? The Trithian Empire (Slynky) versus the Arcadia League (Alneyan)

Over a year later and not much happening. Losing a destroyer here and wiping a colony ship there. We've sort of settled into our boundaries.

And I'm still in 2nd place. (Don't start with me, guys! ) Funny thing is I don't think I'm doing badly empire-wise but I can't chase him out of 1st place. This may be one of those games where, when you finally run into several warships, you then learn your empire sucks! If so, crossing my fingers it's not me .
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

General

*Knowing grin* I think I know why the score is so biased towards my Empire. But obviously, I am not allowed to speak. We will see in a few turns or so hopefully.

*Crosses his fingers and knocks on wood* At the very least, Slynky doubts. At the very best... I might even stand a chance, however unlikely this prospect seems.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:17 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Alneyan:
*Knowing grin* I think I know why the score is so biased towards my Empire. But obviously, I am not allowed to speak. We will see in a few turns or so hopefully.

*Crosses his fingers and knocks on wood* At the very least, Slynky doubts. At the very best... I might even stand a chance, however unlikely this prospect seems.
Knock on wood? Would that be my ship hull construction or my head?

Lots of big fat ships whipping my *** seems bad to me. Ugh! I can only hope my endless list of platforms can stop you from going any further. Oh, and secondary defenses in the form of satellites. But, I'm still crossing my fingers.

BTW, you must have had a LOT of nice planets to have PPB 5's already! OUCHIES
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:18 PM

Sergeant

Geckomlis is on a distinguished road

K.O.T.H. Asmala vs Gecko

Gecko surrenders to Asmala. I became demoralized by my own stupidity. Thanks Asmala for a good game. I really like your playing style, tactics, and strategy.

Back to KOTH recycler again. *sigh*

-Gecko
Old November 24th, 2003, 04:11 PM

General

Given the outcome of the battles Last turn, wood best applies to my head. I mean, who else would ask his or her warships not to get hurt? Strange that the strategy is not Optimal Range for Carriers by default.

At any rate, I just lost ten ships or so against Slynky, they weren't quite lucky. At the very least, I am now rid of these expensive ships to maintain and retrofitting them is no longer a problem. But winning seems that more unlikely now, especially if I repeat such a feat in another battle. *Will have to use Emergency Scheme Number 2, aka "if everything fails, this is the only remedy"*