.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2004, 12:40 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ermor in Battlefield 2nd Tournament game

Quote:
Suppose I was able to alter my .2h file so that my indy commander (say) had the order "Forge Ring of Wizardry". It would be hard or impossible for the server to calculate whether I had actually spent gems in the process, and it probably doesn't check to see if the commander had astral level 5 either, as it trusts the Dominions client to check that sort of thing. Comments?
It would definitely check if you spent the gems in the process, since gem-spending counts are a part of the cheat detection as of 2.12. I can't imagine how you would manage to do this, however, because the files are encrypted and checksummed, nor what purpose it would serve, since the alarm would be sounded. At the moment, the alarm is actually rather overzealous.
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:44 AM

Major General

Yes, but the hammer cost is unimportant to the accounting of what was used at the battle. Vanheim should have hammers also.
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:50 AM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, but the hammer cost is unimportant to the accounting of what was used at the battle.
No, Stormbinder was calculating how many gems you must have spent to put that battle together, and that cost includes the cost of the hammers.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Major General

However, the hammers were not brought to the battle. They are also used for other purposes, and are only borrowed to forge armaments. If you want to confuse the matter some more, at least one of those items was stolen from an indy, and another one was an inheritance from a recently deceased prince. I can't remember which one was which, though, but they weren't very expensive items anyway.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:15 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

So how do you make any fetishes or clams without using your pretender for nothing other than searching and forging?
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:17 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
However, the hammers were not brought to the battle.
Not the point. Stormbinder was calculating the cost of fielding that force, not the total value of items actually on the battlefield. His problem being that he could not see how you could have accumulated the total number of gems required.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM

Major General

Yes, but since the hammers are already part of an auxiliary machine, namely, the clam and fetish forge, which in turn is actually supplying the ability to afford this crap, borrowing them does not carry a calculable added cost, and I'm not prepared to laboriously bean-count my entire empire. That's just way too much work to appease some sour grapes.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:52 AM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Stormbinder,

how lame. I mean really. You must be hanging your head in shame. Everyone in the game allies against one player on turn 22 and they lose. Even worse you come to talk about it?

Amazing.

If I was norfleet I would be pissed off that a game was so rigged against him. But he clearly does not get as upset about dogpiling as I do.

I have no idea how it is possible that he had so many gems but he did an you lost. Take it like a man.

Actually that's being nice about the whole deal. I mean if you had dogpiled me like that and I had won I would say : "eat it, *****." I mean, god, what a horrible way to play a game.

Quote:

It would definitely check if you spent the gems in the process, since gem-spending counts are a part of the cheat detection as of 2.12. I can't imagine how you would manage to do this, however, because the files are encrypted and checksummed, nor what purpose it would serve, since the alarm would be sounded.

Actually checksumming and encryption if done on the client ( and in this case it has to be ) is the incorrect route to take to make cheating impossible. The correct route to take is to simily have the .2h file contain the orders from the turn and for the server to validate. I'm sure IW knows this and I would guess this is what they have done.
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
If I was norfleet I would be pissed off that a game was so rigged against him. But he clearly does not get as upset about dogpiling as I do.

The impression I get from Stormbinder's report:

Quote:
We are playing this game with Graphs ON, and from the stats it is clear that the only nation that was even coming close to the Ermor was Vanheim, other nations are very far behind on most graphs. So I have been fighting Ermor for the Last 7 turns or so
is that the alliance against Norfleet is only 7 turns old, and that it formed in response to Ermor's graphs going ballistic. That's not "rigging" a game, it's ganging up on the clear leader, which is appropriate and something everyone does.
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Major General

Quote:
how lame. I mean really. You must be hanging your head in shame. Everyone in the game allies against one player on turn 22 and they lose. Even worse you come to talk about it?
To be fair, they WERE newbies, some in their first MP game, and their contribution could not have amounted to more than "negligible". If I had been in Storm's shoes, I'd have either alternatively ignored, or attacked for the territory, depending on exact positioning. If I were in Storm's shoes, I would also want to wash my feet after taking them off.

Quote:
Eh, when you're Ermor, that's par for the course. You sorta expect this when you're against the fearmongers who think Ermor will be unstoppable later.

Quote:
I have no idea how it is possible that he had so many gems but he did an you lost. Take it like a man.
Well, at the moment, he's procrastinating interminably instead of taking his damn turn, or at least having the decency to go AI. Instead, he makes up rumors about the other players wanting to concede as well, although none of them have responded to corroborate this, and then drags his feet, even though his turn can't possibly take more than 30 seconds if he was REALLY conceding defeat. Deliberate procrastination to stall the game is very dishonorable.

Quote:
Actually checksumming and encryption if done on the client ( and in this case it has to be ) is the incorrect route to take to make cheating impossible. The correct route to take is to simily have the .2h file contain the orders from the turn and for the server to validate. I'm sure IW knows this and I would guess this is what they have done.
That's done also, and was tightened even more as of 2.12, which surely complicates life even more for the would-be cheater. Sucks to be them, heh.
Closed Thread