.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Corporal

Demosthenes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why Zen sticky post are now \"anonymous\" ?

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Norfleet's exit garnered over a hundred Posts, while Zen's exit seems to be completely uninteresting to people?

What is not being said?
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Corporal

Ivan Pedroso is on a distinguished road

It's a shame for this forum to lose a capacity such as Zen.

I use the MIQR and SCQR a lot (as do all other "serious" players ?!?). I was looking forward to the RSQR and the CSQR (Ritual and Combat Spell Quick References), and I truly hope that someone (if not Zen himself) will finish these two documents. The two first are simply brilliant, and the complete set (all four) would be extremely usefull.

I'm sorry that he got so fed up with being a moderator that he actually deleted the Zen persona. (If this is in fact what prompted this drastic departure)
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Demosthenes said:
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Norfleet's exit garnered over a hundred Posts, while Zen's exit seems to be completely uninteresting to people?

What is not being said?

Conspiracy theorists unite!

Well, seriously, I think it is human nature that a cheating scandal involving an individual who was already controversial to begin with incites lots of heated Posts, while the precipitous departure of well liked moderator does not.

That said, I'm sure we all read many of Zen's Posts and Zen's documents, and I for one certainly feel that I owe him a lot for adding to my experience of Dom2.

It would be very helpful if someone from IW or from Shrapnel could update us on the status of the RSQR and the CSQR (Ritual and Combat Spell Quick References, as mentioned by Ivan). I know I read a post by Zen where he stated he was only waiting on one Last fact checking iteration with IW, and it would be a real shame to lose these documents, even if they are still in an incomplete state. As a side note, searching for Zen's Posts is more difficult than it might have been since searching with "anonymous" user doesn't seem to work.

- Thufir
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Demosthenes said:
What is not being said?
Rest assured that there are people who are curious as to what really happened. However, Richard has made it clear that he feels asking such questions is "non-productive" (his words, not mine). Which just throws more fuel on the burning desire to know.

I have my suspicions, which thanks to Richard I'll keep to myself. I'd be perfectly happy to ask Zen (aka Jack Black) directly if I still had his email address. But I lost it (and many other forumites' addresses) when I my desktop suffered a m/b failure a couple of weeks ago and I had to rebuild it. My backup of my Mozilla folder for some odd reason lacked that particular address book. (sigh)
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Demosthenes said:

What is not being said?
Well Im the one who physically did the actions and as far as I know there is nothing which is NOT being said. Johans post pretty much covers it. There were no specific names involved, most of the comments involved "the forum". At Zen's request he was deleted.

And by the way, the login has been blocked from re-use. Since I have Zen's email I feel secure that it can be reinstated when (and if) he should request it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Corporal

Yvelina is on a distinguished road

I hope he comes back. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a better moderator. He was knowledgeable and levelheaded. Not a common combination.
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yvelina said:
I hope he comes back.
Me too.
Quote:
Yvelina said:
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a better moderator. He was knowledgeable and levelheaded. Not a common combination.
Not common at all. But there is one person I can think of who's even better at the task: Gandalf. He might not be as much of a walking encyclopaedia of Dom as Zen is/was, but he's more impartial (and much more patient) as a moderator, which are more important traits for the job.
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
And by the way, the login has been blocked from re-use. Since I have Zen's email I feel secure that it can be reinstated when (and if) he should request it.
Gandalf,

Do you think if his ID were reinstated the forum software would correctly identify his old Posts? If so, I for one would appreciate it if you could make the request to him that his ID be reinstated (of course, without requiring his active participation). Aside from the improved search functionality, I think it's clear that Zen is very well regarded in this forum, and he'd be leaving a more positive legacy with named Posts than with anonymous Posts.

Thanks,

Thufir

EDIT:
First sentence is now comprehensible

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arryn said:
Quote:
Yvelina said:
I hope he comes back.
Me too.
Quote:
Yvelina said:
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a better moderator. He was knowledgeable and levelheaded. Not a common combination.
Not common at all. But there is one person I can think of who's even better at the task: Gandalf. He might not be as much of a walking encyclopaedia of Dom as Zen is/was, but he's more impartial (and much more patient) as a moderator, which are more important traits for the job.
Actually I'll clear up both of your previous Posts with one. One rule I observe when doing anything with any forum is that Moderator's actions are not for public criticism. It undermines their ability to do their job. If there is an issue with a Moderator, that should be taken up the chain of command and handled internally as much as possible.

I have no problem with discussion over why Zen left, otherwise I would have locked this threads as well. However the previous post, that was editted, specifically criticized someone who cannot defend himself now and was a Moderator on the Boards. There is a distinction. As far as re-instating the ID I will leave that decision to Zen himself, if he wishes to then we will, otherwise we will respect his wishes to have his account deleted.

Again feel free to speculate but please leave it out of the realm of discussing how one moderator is better than the other or how a previous moderator had failings. It is counter productive and to be honest isn't fair to anyone involved.

Thanks.
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Hmmm reasonable logic. All I can do is ask him.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)