Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:02 PM

Corporal

Turret is on a distinguished road
Default Laser Guided ATGM's

Is it possible to add a weapon class of laser guided ATGM?

This class would have the properties of laser guided ATGM.
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:18 PM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Laser Guided ATGM's

It seems the game already models Javelins and other laser/IR guided ATGMS pretty well. Is there a specific weapon you are thinking of?
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

As Airborne said what is it you're trying to add to the game that would require some different way of handling ATGM accuracy then the way it's handled now?

50 - 3M6 Shmel
60 - 9M14 Malutka
80 - 9M111 Fagot
90 - 9M131 Metis-M
90 - 9M117 Kastet
95 - 9A4172 Vikhr-1
100 - 9M123 Krzantema

I'm fairly certain 255 is the maximum accuracy the game can handle, but NOTHING currently existing is that accurate.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

The type of Guidance system of any Anti-Tank Guided Missile IS modelled within the game!
Sometimes the specifics can become irrelevant within the game - laser, wire, radio, IR guided can all be stopped by VIRSS, for example.

If you want to model NONE guided missiles use weapon class 23 and 24. Class 25 represents a further type of guidance system.

Are 6 (or 7) [13,20,21,22,23,24,(17)] out of a possible 26 weapon classes representing AT(G)Ms not enough for you?

What behaviour are you wanting to see that isn't currently modelled?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Corporal

There may be properties of laser-guided ATGM that are not the same for other weapons, i.e. the TOW missile.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Major

TOW is NOT laser guided... (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided)!?!

What properties do you think aren't modelled for laser guided ATGM (ie spike) that are for wire guided (eg TOW)??

Whilst countermeasures are (slightly) different for 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations of ATGM they can be assumed to be covered by the current game modelling. Much more important (in game terms at least) is how they react on reaching the target - Top attack, multi-charge, etc. which IS covered by the varying weapon classes (6 or 7) for AT missiles.

Please don't answer with vague "...there may be properties...", please give examples of properties/behaviour that you believe isn't currently modelled in the game and could be modelled to add to realism and playability.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
TOW is NOT laser guided... (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided)!?!

What properties do you think aren't modelled for laser guided ATGM (ie spike) that are for wire guided (eg TOW)??

Whilst countermeasures are (slightly) different for 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations of ATGM they can be assumed to be covered by the current game modelling. Much more important (in game terms at least) is how they react on reaching the target - Top attack, multi-charge, etc. which IS covered by the varying weapon classes (6 or 7) for AT missiles.

Please don't answer with vague "...there may be properties...", please give examples of properties/behaviour that you believe isn't currently modelled in the game and could be modelled to add to realism and playability.
I may not know all the properties of laser-guided ATGM, and others, like the TOW missile. The game creators know how to adjust the game code, if they wish, I suppose.

Is there any real reason to adjust the game code regarding missile guidance methods? Laser-guided ATGM may have properties of their own, just as TOW may, for example.

I've been playing the game since Steel Panthers, I suppose you know. Generally, I play the game daily.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:17 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turret View Post
I may not know all the properties of laser-guided ATGM, and others, like the TOW missile. The game creators know how to adjust the game code, if they wish, I suppose.

Is there any real reason to adjust the game code regarding missile guidance methods? Laser-guided ATGM may have properties of their own, just as TOW may, for example.

I've been playing the game since Steel Panthers, I suppose you know. Generally, I play the game daily.
If you truely have being playing the game "generally daily" for approx 20 years then I am sure the answers to your OP and further questions above would have become obvious...

The developers have worked hard and constantly over 2 decades to bring us a game as realistic and well crafted as possible (within the constraints of the original game format), "adjustments" to game code are made after careful analysis and research - not on a whim!

Yes different types of munitions and weapons systems DO have different properties and behaiviors this is why there are different weapon classes.

It makes little to no sense to me to ask vague, "should there be..." questions without some knowledge. The answer to this, and many of your other posts, is yes THIS IS ALREADY MODELLED IN THE GAME!

Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turret View Post
Sorry to pile on dude, but if you've been "play[ing] the game daily" your barrage of nitpicking reminds me of the Russian proverb (IIRC):

"He made the rounds of all the smithies but returned home unshod."

Cheers and have a nice day .
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
My rather limited understanding on the topic is that wire-guided missiles there is a chance of the guidance system failing, due to the wire breaking for some reason or due to short circuit caused by the wire coming in contact with water. However, I do not have any particular idea as to how likely such occurrences are in practice, nor to whether they could be really modelled in game.

Also, the range of the wire-guided missiles is limited by the amount of wire they carry - but that is already represented by the range attribute in the game.