This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Good documentary on the Harrier and the USMC perspective on close air support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrajzZICMI

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road

The latest official info on F-35...

http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2016/

Midway down under DOD Programs

It is a long list of very varied problems, from this aircraft that seems to have been under development for such a very long time... I will be amazed if this aircraft is anything like fully operation much before 2022/23.

Last edited by IronDuke99; January 11th, 2017 at 10:51 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronDuke99 For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:58 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

USMC will deploy a F-35B squadron to Japan. The first F-35B to be forward based.

“'The unique combination of stealth, cutting-edge radar and sensor technology and electronic warfare systems bring all of the access and lethality capabilities of a fifth-generation fighter, a modern bomber and an adverse-weather, all-threat environment air support platform,' said 3rd MAW in a statement."

Find the full article here: https://news.usni.org/2017/01/10/fir...n-leaves-japan.

=====
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
USMC will deploy a F-35B squadron to Japan. The first F-35B to be forward based.

“'The unique combination of stealth, cutting-edge radar and sensor technology and electronic warfare systems bring all of the access and lethality capabilities of a fifth-generation fighter, a modern bomber and an adverse-weather, all-threat environment air support platform,' said 3rd MAW in a statement."

Find the full article here: https://news.usni.org/2017/01/10/fir...n-leaves-japan.

=====

And yet, if you read the very long report in my last post, it clearly states that, as of now F-35's are, even when working, and they are not up to their availability expectations, they are not able to perform any mission as well as current aircraft.

I know the USMC, no doubt for their own reasons, are rushing these things into some sort of service, but it really does not look like this aircraft is going to be much use to anyone much more 2021 at the very best. They are strongly suggesting even the initial testing will not be done until 2019 As it stands at the moment the guns don't work due to sighting issues, the software is as yet nowhere close to what was promised and their are assorted other problems too (read the report if anyone is interested).

Myself I really hope they get it working, since the Royal Navy Carrier programme depends on the damn thing. But they look to be some way off having a useful aircraft, let alone a world beating one...
Old January 12th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuke99 View Post
Quote:

=====

And yet, if you read the very long report in my last post, it clearly states that, as of now F-35's are, even when working, and they are not up to their availability expectations, they are not able to perform any mission as well as current aircraft.

I know the USMC, no doubt for their own reasons, are rushing these things into some sort of service, but it really does not look like this aircraft is going to be much use to anyone much more 2021 at the very best. They are strongly suggesting even the initial testing will not be done until 2019 As it stands at the moment the guns don't work due to sighting issues, the software is as yet nowhere close to what was promised and their are assorted other problems too (read the report if anyone is interested).

Myself I really hope they get it working, since the Royal Navy Carrier programme depends on the damn thing. But they look to be some way off having a useful aircraft, let alone a world beating one...
Even given the current shortcomings of the F-35 as a family, it is far above the Chinese and the Russian 5th Gen fighters as those jets are nowhere close to production. In the hands of an operational squadron the development should grow exponitionally. Right?

What is interesting is the MAW did not describe the F-35 as an air superiority fighter, which I suspect still is the domain of the Raptor.

The Brits may have bigger issues with the F-35 as the US president elect has called into question the cost and role of the plane. It may get killed. And, that maybe why the Marines have "rushed" this squadron as a device to show the F-35 is already a fabric of the it's air element.

=====
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

=====

Even given the current shortcomings of the F-35 as a family, it is far above the Chinese and the Russian 5th Gen fighters as those jets are nowhere close to production. In the hands of an operational squadron the development should grow exponitionally. Right?

What is interesting is the MAW did not describe the F-35 as an air superiority fighter, which I suspect still is the domain of the Raptor.

The Brits may have bigger issues with the F-35 as the US president elect has called into question the cost and role of the plane. It may get killed. And, that maybe why the Marines have "rushed" this squadron as a device to show the F-35 is already a fabric of the it's air element.

=====

Yes I did wonder if that had something to do with the very early USMC deployment. In British service F-35B will have to do CAP for fleet defence. In the same way Sea Harrier did until it was scrapped.

I don't see Trump scrapping it, too much money already spent, including by UK who is the only tier 1 partner on the aircraft, and if you scrap it the US (and other western nations) are left with no aircraft at all to replace the F15's and F16's.

Have to say I was never a fan of the VSTOL F-35B, wish the Brits had gone cats and traps and Super Hornet myself. It never made real sense to me to go STOVL on 70,000 ton Aircraft Carriers, especially once there was going to be a significant gap in service between Harrier ending (thanks RAF) and F-35B starting (Aircraft the RAF is highly reluctant to allow the RN Fleet Air Arm much control of)

Of course the RAF were very against cats and traps because you have to train hard and often to do that, and they seem to think you will not have to to use F-35B (with a 'rolling landing') from a carrier at sea. We shall see...

Last edited by IronDuke99; January 12th, 2017 at 12:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to IronDuke99 For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:41 PM

Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

=====

Yes I did wonder if that had something to do with the very early USMC deployment. In British service F-35B will have to do CAP for fleet defence. In the same way Sea Harrier did until it was scrapped.

I don't see Trump scrapping it, too much money already spent, including by UK who is the only tier 1 partner on the aircraft, and if you scrap it the US (and other western nations) are left with no aircraft at all to replace the F15's and F16's.

Have to say I was never a fan of the VSTOL F-35B, wish the Brits had gone cats and traps and Super Hornet myself. It never made real sense to me to go STOVL on 70,000 ton Aircraft Carriers, especially once there was going to be a significant gap in service between Harrier ending (thanks RAF) and F-35B starting (Aircraft the RAF is highly reluctant to allow the RN Fleet Air Arm much control of)

Of course the RAF were very against cats and traps because you have to train hard and often to do that, and they seem to think you will not have to to use F-35B (with a 'rolling landing') from a carrier at sea. We shall see...
The Royal Navy is in a very hard place if she intends to use the F-35B for fleet defence as the STOVL plane is not an air superiority fighter, as the F-35C could be loaded out to do so but the Royal Navy does not have cat and trap boats.

Trump won't or cannot kill the F-35 but as with the Raptor the F-35 could be dramatically reduced. His pledge for a 350 ship navy may stay the Navy until Boeing delivers on the FA/XX super super hornet.

The USAF still has the best air superiority fighter in the Raptor.

=====
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

F-35 stories from 16 Dec. 2016 to now - top to bottom. Only need this one source for these stories.

1) Israel: 6 days to win a war but it takes that long to fly their first two F-35I fighters there. Why? Must've been flying in "Long Distance Runaround (LRD)" operational mode.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...to-israel.html

2) Everything's about money.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...are-bogus.html

3) A "twitter who tweeted" wonder from whom, but, seems to like the Super Hornet!?!
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...e-to-f_35.html

4) There'll be a "Rumble in the Desert" well in the skies over it anyway.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...e/180015/.html

5) Navy pilots see "stars" happened in 2014 (I guess we better update our comms in the USN also!) and it's still an ongoing issue.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...e/180020/.html

6) Cancel, cancel, cancel this will probably get as close as it will come-maybe.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...5-program.html

7) It was really a classified test of the fire suppression system, trust me -really!!
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...e/180097/.html

The rest are from today...

8) Australia it's bombs away!
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...aveway-ii.html

9) Delays and more delays, this is a very controversial software system in which some people are asking why are they flying without this being fixed?
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...re-months.html

10) HEeREes Johnny...Sorry, that'll be our 200th F-35!! , apparently though some might prefer to bring this to the party (Fire might've been to controversial?!?) while they try to fix all these software issues maybe I can help , I did say maybe!?!

That's the latest and greatest. Have a great day! I will because "Everyday at the Bay" is a GREAT DAY! That'd be work don't ya know.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

It's really a matter of the F-35B replacing the Harrier.

Even if it's not up to it's potential (real or imagined) it's still and improvement over the Harrier and it's a new aircraft, not one suffering from an old airframe and a critical shortage of parts for maintenance.

Once again I remind people, the F-35 was never designed or intended to be an air superiority aircraft, while the UK Fleet Air Arm will press it into that role, and it will, again, be an improvement over the Harrier, to compare it to the F-22 or any other air superiority aircraft is just plain stupid. Will it have better survivability vs air superiority aircraft then the Harrier or A-10? Yes ... then it's an improvement.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:28 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
It's really a matter of the F-35B replacing the Harrier.

Even if it's not up to it's potential (real or imagined) it's still and improvement over the Harrier and it's a new aircraft, not one suffering from an old airframe and a critical shortage of parts for maintenance.

Once again I remind people, the F-35 was never designed or intended to be an air superiority aircraft, while the UK Fleet Air Arm will press it into that role, and it will, again, be an improvement over the Harrier, to compare it to the F-22 or any other air superiority aircraft is just plain stupid. Will it have better survivability vs air superiority aircraft then the Harrier or A-10? Yes ... then it's an improvement.
The Royal Navy may well re-think cat/trap carriers and the F-35B may force her to put to sea American carriers. She will need truely capable fighters to do CAP and fleet defense not souped up Harriers.

No one is comparing the pitiful F-35B to the Raptor. Just pointing out the USAF has Raptors in the event congress stunts the F-35A. The Navy has the Super Hornet and Boeing is close to deliver the much anticipated Super Super Hornet. The USMC may shug along with an F-35B as long as her boats remain under the CAP of the Navy, where the jar heads belong. Or, the Marines may come to their senses and tasks helos with CAS until a F-35B is worked out.

No one is comparing the Raptor to the F-35B. I'm not.

=====