winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Air Strikes

How "safe" are air strikes in WinSPWW2?

In the various versions of SP out there, I find I suffer from "friendly fire" too often. So much so, I don't usually bother with air strikes in WinSPWW2. The only aircraft I generally use are spotters and transports because they don't shoot at my own units. In one battle I did use Stukas, but I made sure their approach to the target didn't pass near any of my units. Basically, I bombed some infantry units running down the bottom of the map into my rear area. I'm not sure what the infantry was up to. There was nothing back there to attack. By doing that, I effectively wasted my Stukas attacking enemy units that weren't a threat, just to keep my planes away from my own units.

How often do "friendly fire" air strikes typically occur?
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,724 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Air Strikes

Do not attack in poor visibilty and that means not only map visibity but also take into account smoke that might obscure the target area.

Also try to bring in the airstrike on an observed hex and if that is not possible try to ensure, if practical, that the aircraft does not make it's approach to the target over or towards your own troops

Also keep in mind that "close air support" in reality doesn't mean bombing enemy troops 100 yards from your own troops so don't push things too close

Don
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Best is to call in airstrikes in good visibility, to a target that's far enough from your troops, and by a spotter who has a direct LOS to target.

Just as a side note, since I play Il-2 Sturmovik sim, I really do appreciate how hard is it to hit a land target from a fast mover. Especially with bombs and rockets.
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

I've had problems with 'blue on blue' airstrikes in the past.

What helped the most for me, was carefully picking the flight path (entry direction) of the plane; so it doesn't fly over friendlys until after the target area.

Secondly, the target should be a good distance from any friendly units (especially vehicles). The worse the visibility, the further to keep your air target from your own forces. This means I usually use air support for targets just behind the main line of resistance.

Use mortars and field artillery for close support.

Using the above approach, it's been a long time since I've had a 'friendly fire' incident.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
I've had problems with 'blue on blue' airstrikes in the past.

What helped the most for me, was carefully picking the flight path (entry direction) of the plane; so it doesn't fly over friendlys until after the target area.

Secondly, the target should be a good distance from any friendly units (especially vehicles). The worse the visibility, the further to keep your air target from your own forces. This means I usually use air support for targets just behind the main line of resistance.

Use mortars and field artillery for close support.

Using the above approach, it's been a long time since I've had a 'friendly fire' incident.
That's pretty much what I do now, if I use strike aircraft at all. I find the spotters to be much more useful as long as I don't blunder them into AAA.
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

And while we are on the "blue on blue" airstrike issue, what about the reverse situation ie "blue on blue" antiair fire?
Was it common?
Should it be included in the game (if it was an issue in wwII)?
(Ok stop throwing eggs!)
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitis View Post
And while we are on the "blue on blue" airstrike issue, what about the reverse situation ie "blue on blue" antiair fire?
Was it common?
(Ok stop throwing eggs!)
I'm sure it happened, but it's not as I can only think of one well documented instance. That was immediately after Pearl Harbor. I think a few Wildcats were shot down because everyone at Pearl was trigger happy.

Overall, I think the most likely cases would occur when the other side has air superiority or supremacy. Gunners would expect most things flying would belong to the other side and fire with a little less restraint.
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
That's pretty much what I do now, if I use strike aircraft at all. I find the spotters to be much more useful as long as I don't blunder them into AAA.
Having said I mostly pick targets behind the main line of resistance, I should point out that I still find aircraft a well worth while investment. Finding choice targets aways from friendly units, is not all that difficult.

I often purchase two or more aircraft, and usually find I get my moneys worth, once you factor in the additional intel gained, and the psychological/harassing effect it has on your opponent.

In my most recent battle, a pair of Mossies slightly damaged the only two Tigers on the battlefield, immobolised a Pz III and I think damaged an APC. One of the Mosquitos did get damaged by AAA and had to RTB.
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Captain

I won't be able to play with it during my current battle. All I could do was take one air unit and it was a spotter.
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitis View Post
Was it common?
(Ok stop throwing eggs!)
Depends. Mostly on skill and circumstances - for example on Pacific islands Japanese sometimes used US aircrafts as cover and fired machineguns when masked by noise of a/c engines, thus also starting up paranoia about US fighters strafing own troops, this in turn leading to wild fires against anything int he air...

As for CAS inaccuracy, I believe after bad experience from Normandy, one US inf. division declined any air support but observation planes. Though the worst incidents were I believe in the run-up to Cobra by heavy bombersw, but then there was this French town-that-I-cannot-recall-now where TacAir attacked what they thought to be a retreating German column and caused many US and civillian casaulties.