This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Corporal

Stratos is on a distinguished road
Default Allieds in Normandy. Need help with combined arms tactics.

Any series of tips I can follow in order to improve my combined arms tactics? I find really hard to fight in Normandy with all those houses full of enemy troops or the Bocage hiding AT guns. Other closed areas like Italy or Germany itself share the same problem. How should I move on areas like that? Infantry and Tanks at same pace sharing the same HEX? Or infantry a bit forward? If I use the tanks forward I normally lose some them, the same with infantry, the squad gets pinned and normally chopped down. I can't find the aproppiatte tactic by myself so will apreciatte a bit of help on this.
Thanks a lot!
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allieds in Normandy. Need help with combined arms tactics.

I would send in the infantry first. If a tank stumbles upon a hidden AT Gun or a Panzerfaust armed squad, chances are it's gone after the first shot. The infantry squad might lose some dudes, but they are only pinned or retreating and you know where the enemy is now.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Bocage can be a mare restricts vehicle options quite drasticly so keep an eye on how to approach. Sharing the same hex is not a sensible idea normaly only tend to do when unloading or possibly if about to move through a tree line or in woods.
Infantry in front distance varies open ground quite far so can hopefully see ATG if fire & even help kill.
More clutered keep reasonably close they are really all scouts trying to find the enemy.
A good tactic if possible 2 platoons forward 1 back with the Co Leader & keeping a loose V.
This means if you get engaged Co Leader has a better chance to rally as one platoon in reserve, they can either move to assist or if just in front of your armour can move to check LOS. If its good & safe for armour you can now move your tanks up knowing they have a shot.
If your infantry suddenly gets out of its depth or tanks to far back to support etc dont engage move back to safety if can or pop smoke till you are in a better position to commit. Well thats the theory they may have plans of their own
Try putting tactics in search engine towns has been covered before clear by the block trying to isolate it & kill runners rather than walk into them again once recovered.
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Corporal

Stratos is on a distinguished road

Searching trought the forum found this wonderful guide, that have tons of tactics and situations covered!
Thanks for the help

http://www.spwaw.com/lholttg/spwawtg1.htm
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM

Private

2ndLt_Fjun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Any series of tips I can follow in order to improve my combined arms tactics? I find really hard to fight in Normandy with all those houses full of enemy troops or the Bocage hiding AT guns. Other closed areas like Italy or Germany itself share the same problem. How should I move on areas like that? Infantry and Tanks at same pace sharing the same HEX? Or infantry a bit forward? If I use the tanks forward I normally lose some them, the same with infantry, the squad gets pinned and normally chopped down. I can't find the aproppiatte tactic by myself so will apreciatte a bit of help on this.
Thanks a lot!
You are right that combined arms tactics is the key. What should go in first?

I'd say a whole barrage of artillery! Artillery is extremely useful in closed terrain fighting. I find mortars good for the purpose since they are accurate enough to avoid (too much) friendly fire. After artillery comes the infantry but with tanks/fighting vehicles working in very close conjunction. Infantry goes in for spotting purposes and to take the first hit the hard way. Artillery helps with both those jobs. Suppressed enemies are easier to spot and shoot much worse. Then the tanks come in to finish the job.

If the enemy don't have good inf at weapons, i.e. hand grenades only it's easy. Then you just need to pin them to avoid close attacks and can safely move up a tank next to it and fire away with good hit percentages. With pzfausts or schrecks, pinned units can be deadly too, which gives the infantry a greater share of the work.

Real life tactics work very well in SPWW2 (that doesn't go for all SP versions though).
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndLt_Fjun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Thanks a lot!
You are right that combined arms tactics is the key. What should go in first?

I'd say a whole barrage of artillery! Artillery is extremely useful in closed terrain fighting. I find mortars good for the purpose since they are accurate enough to avoid (too much) friendly fire. After artillery comes the infantry but with tanks/fighting vehicles working in very close conjunction. Infantry goes in for spotting purposes and to take the first hit the hard way. Artillery helps with both those jobs. Suppressed enemies are easier to spot and shoot much worse. Then the tanks come in to finish the job.

If the enemy don't have good inf at weapons, i.e. hand grenades only it's easy. Then you just need to pin them to avoid close attacks and can safely move up a tank next to it and fire away with good hit percentages. With pzfausts or schrecks, pinned units can be deadly too, which gives the infantry a greater share of the work.

Real life tactics work very well in SPWW2 (that doesn't go for all SP versions though).
The creeping barrage is the tactic to use in close terrain - see my post No. 7 in this thread for the technique: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=32231

Cheers
Andy
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

I quick two bits here. Imp's advice of having two platoons forward, one back is invaulable. One of the biggest things I learned playing SPWW2 and SPMBT is always have a reserve. Your front line units will rarely be able to react to your oppenants defence, that's what the reserve is for. Once you know where the enemy is, you've got to get around and flank him. The units that found the guy are likely to be pinned and suppressed, so you need extra units to do the flanking. Always, always, always have a reserve.

Howard Tayer