ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Private

stormbringer3 is on a distinguished road
Default AI question.

I've just downloaded the latest patch. My question is that although the patches always improve the game in many areas, there doesn't seem to be any obvious AI enhancements. Does the game engine's age prevent any meaningful enhancements?
Steel Panthers is still my favorite tactical game. I usually play a long campaign and the challenge is basically how large will the enemy horde be in that particular scenario of the campaign.
Thanks for any opinions.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI question.

Well this is subjective but I would say the AI has improved over time, might be something in the patch notes that tells you.
There have been a few specific tweaks I think for weapon types & overall target selection has improved. The AI also seems far less prone to lemming style movement than it used to be of old.
Mind I dont play vs the AI that much so could be wrong.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,499 Times in 2,715 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Seriously....... load a copy of SP2 , generate a few random games and play for an hour or so and then tell us if you still don't think the "AI" has been improved.

Don
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Private

Fair enough. It has been about a year since I played the game. I've been playing a version of Steel Panthers since the very 1st release in the 1990's, so now I pick it up about once a year and play for awhile. I'll start a new long campaign and see the changes. I was wondering about AI enhancements because the patch notes usually mention about icon and unit changes, campaign and scenario changes, but I don't remember seeing many specifics about AI enhancements. However, I may have overlooked them if they were included in the patch notes.
Thanks for your answers to my post.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:35 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer3 View Post
Fair enough. It has been about a year since I played the game. I've been playing a version of Steel Panthers since the very 1st release in the 1990's, so now I pick it up about once a year and play for awhile. I'll start a new long campaign and see the changes. I was wondering about AI enhancements because the patch notes usually mention about icon and unit changes, campaign and scenario changes, but I don't remember seeing many specifics about AI enhancements. However, I may have overlooked them if they were included in the patch notes.
Thanks for your answers to my post.
Then you should actually take the time to read the complete "release history" section of the game guide. Especially ther "AI imnterest" section.

But most AI changes are not listed since there are too many points to cover, and it would give things away to the player.

As Don says - fire up an old SSI version of the game, figure out how to get the mouse working in modern Windows etc, and try out the original "tin lemming horde charges the nearest V-hex" in glorious 640x480 MSDOS, if you think the AI has been left alone. Please don't' try an SP-Camo conversion - we tweaked the AI from the moment we had the actual code, i.e. post the original SP2WW2 hack of the SP2 code to allow new icons and WW2 orbats.

Attached for your delectation is a screen shot of the original SSI game, at full size and in the original bright blue icons for Germany and luminescent green for the Allies, as a reminder.

And we all thought that was just pure dead brilliant, back in 1996(?)

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP1German.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	11878   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp1-c.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	11879  
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Corporal

void1984 is on a distinguished road

Finally everyone realizes that the AT in such complicated game can't beat an average human, so find an alive person to play with.
I especially like playing with friends I know personally, as they don't try cheap tricks and I know who I'm trying to win with.
AI is good for playing more, as it's always available, but I treat it as a training for PBEM games.

Maybe it would be possible for AI to keep tanks close to the infantry. I've been attacked by tanks without infantry support, which was 2 turns behind.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Private

Andy, thank you for bringing to my attention the game manual's update history. I've played the game for so many years that I rarely look at the game manual so I forgot about that being at the end of it. You have a fine game and if that wasn't so, I wouldn't still be playing it after all these years.
I have a feeling that a lot of new players to the PC wargame community are unaware of this game and that it plays very well with Windows 7. If you'd like, I can put a post on the Wargamer forum bringing it to people's attention.
Finally, I was looking in the manual and the above thread about hotkeys for the close assault hot key. I'm probably going blind but I couldn't find it. IIRC it's the control key. Would someone please comfirm this for me?
Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

F for "fire" - the team decides if it will close assault assault, simply fire, or retire in tank panic itself depending on various factors. The player does not get to "choose" it.

Andy
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: AI question.

Hi folks. As new kid in the forum and a connoisseur of the SP game system (although not especially successful at it), I'd say that the most challenging way to meet the AI is by playing advances and assaults. That way, the AI has a tendency to wait, and the ball is in your court; you must take the initiative most of the time. With meeting engagements it's often too easy to simply grab a VH and then set up an ambush, demolishing the armor that usually charge toward it.

void1984 is right about human opponents. Trouble is, people like me who are somewhat digitally challenged (as it were ) find the PBEM feature a bit cumbersome and error-prone. I've tried two or three times with Spwaw, and each time I wound up sending back my opponent's turn by mistake after a couple moves. Never could figure out what I was doing wrong. However, the advice in the SPWW2 manual--to play a quick PBEM with yourself--seems eminently sound, and one of these days I'll try it out.

Thanks for your kind attention. In closing, please allow me to thank the wonderful people at Shrapnel who've made this outstanding tactical simulation possible. Cheers.

Last edited by jivemi; May 29th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: double use of adjective in same sentence