This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 7th, 2012, 02:18 AM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road
Post Units Sharing Ammo - Too Weird a Concept?

I use ordinance units a lot, and find them very useful. An ammo truck or two really helps to extend the usefulness of many units, especially snipers and AT formations. I was wondering if the concept of regular units (as opposed to ordinance units) sharing ammo is just too weird a concept to think about including in possible future updates. The concept goes along the lines of...

Two units - one with ammo depleted one with ammo full or nearly full (I am thinking no less than 75% of a full ammo load) which are of the same nationality, are stacked together (or adjacent?), have not moved or fought for two full turns, and are not suppressed, retreating, or routed can do an ammo exchange. The procedure would work exactly like an ordinance unit rearming a combat unit, except one unit would act as the supplier, one the supplied.

Often I have two units of the same formation who meet all the requirements above, and who, in real life, could easily share ammo. Any feedback from those 'in the know' would be most welcome. Thanks for reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketee10022 For This Useful Post:
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Units Sharing Ammo - Too Weird a Concept?

They should be the same type of units as well, it'll be weird seeing a sniper supplying a Milan unit with ATGMs...

But other than that I think its a nice idea. But then I'm not the one who has to agree with your suggestion.
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

In defense and delay I'll stack same type units without necessarily wanting a more experienced unit who uses ammunition at a faster rate taking ammo from a green unit who uses ammunition at a slower rate because I want the green unit to level up. This is but one example, my point is what if you don't want sharing ammo. As for realism I have to admit your suggestion is more realistic, who has ever watched a war movie and seen two same nation infantry sections refusing to share ammo when to do so could mean their demise.

--------St. Thomas Aquinas
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:16 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Its very rare infantry run out of ammo anyway & I do not want ATGM teams sharing or even in most cases units swaping RPG ammo.
Has 2-3 shots left & gives some away now he has no extra shot at improved accuracy or nothing left now the target has used up its area defence system.
Guessing your talking vehicles, send the empty guy back to resupply why would the guy who also has ammo pull out of the line to & leave a big hole instead of defending his rear as he goes for a reload.
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Corporal

Imp and Kartoffel you make some good points.

Sharing units should be of same TYPE, not just nationality.

And maybe only certain unit types should be able to share. Just infantry types.

As far as who gets to receive the ammo 'donated' - I am hoping there could be a mechanism to allow the player to select who receives the ammo first.

But it does begger credibility when two experienced snipers of the same nationality cannot share ammo, for example. I use my snipers usually in teams, and one (with an empty rifle) sits there looking forlorn while the other (with a full clip) happily shoots away.
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

You already have a cheat over the AI in that you can use ammo resupply units, which it cannot.

Move an ammo crate up beside your ammo depleted unit, or vice versa to replenish SAA.

Fred and Bill exchanging hand grenades is the sort of thing you would see in a first person shooter - not a battalion level wargame. Hideously complex to code and of extremely limited utility when there already exists a replenishment mechanism.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM

Corporal

OK - thanks for clarifying. I did not know it would be so hellish to code! Appreciate the feedback on this.