Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
A different take on EA Pangaea – CBM 1.6 - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:32 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A different take on EA Pangaea – CBM 1.6

They should be pretty nice against anything size 3 or bigger, especially if it's relying on fear/awe/mistform.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

I just finished playing EA Pan in Mists of Time (the game was CBM 1.5, so gem-gens were still in though), and thought I'd share some of my experiences.

First off, I made heavy use of the reverse communion, as mentioned by Jarkko in page 3 of his guide - http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43819 - and it was supremely effective. And that was without ever using Hell Power (the only time I intended to try it was in an epic attempt to storm a castle, and I had my Blood Slaves and a ton of Maenads nuked in the first round by RoSes).

All my main armies had at least 5 Pans and several Astral mages (mostly Lizard Shaman - yeah, getting those guys was key). The top 4 Pans would cast Sabbath Slave, some big Nature BE or BF, and then whatever. The last Pan (with a Blood booster if necessary) would cast Sabbath Master, Reinvigoration (and thus dramatically lower the slave-Pans' fatigue right after casting their big spells), Earth Power, Strength of Gaia, maybe another Reinvigoration or Elemental Fortitude or whatever, and Fire. And of course the last Astral mage would cast Communion Master, Power of the Spheres, whatever other buffs seemed useful (Personal Luck, Body Ethereal, etc.), and Fire.

Once the game got into the later stages, I would have at least Mass Regeneration, Relief, Gaia's Blessing, and Rush of Strength up by the second round of every major battle. To buy time, I'd also have a Troll King ready to cast Army of Lead the first round (OK, easier to do when you have many Blood Stones to buy them and boost them with, to be sure, but still doable for at least your most important army in 1.6).

Then your E2 Pans (now at least E5 with Earth Boots, E6 with Stones) are throwing down Weapons of Sharpness from round 3 on, and your Naked Ladies are now downright scary. To go with the Charm spam and whatever else you want to throw out.

And since I was fielding a lot of low encumbrance units, and had several Lamia Queens (and other assorted units) with Water, I'd often throw down things like Quagmire, Foul Vapors, Grip of Winter, etc., figuring it would all hurt the enemy a whole lot more than my own light troops, all of whom were protected at least to some degree by Pangaea's buffs. Very effective when used against the right opponent.

I also empowered a Lizard Shaman in Earth (OK, harder to do without Blood Stones, I know). One thing I had him do was forge Slave Matrices, which I passed out to the Troll Kings, Lamia Queens, Faery Queens, and such. I suppose that might be a useful strategy for any Communion/Sabbath power. But Pangaea can give slaves in such a reverse communion such an amazing number of useful buffs, it really kicks *** if you can do it, even if they're only getting a +1 magic level boost from PoS, as they also get reinvigoration from Earth Power, extra regeneration from Strength of Gaia, etc., etc.. Easier to get done in 1.5, but perhaps still doable in 1.6, and well worth it if it can be done.

But since Baalz made this guide to talk about an alternate strategy for Pangaea (going for quality over quantity), I will say that I agree with him to a certain extent, even though I had plenty of success with my hordes of chaff backed up by nasty battle magic (I went the Turmoil-3, Maenad Factory route).

I mean, I was swimming in chaff. Too much to shake a stick at. And although I also used Transformation on a huge scale (though I did lose a couple of Pans that way, and some new units were useless for anything other than lab work, my research was superb, some Foul-Spawn transforms could still wield hammers [after getting un-Feebleminded by GoH], and most could Blood Hunt quite safely), gold was still often short. And often a lot of that fodder just sat in forts for lack of a way to deploy them effectively.

Truly, I had to make do with chaff and summoned units (in fact, I never recruited a non-commander from quite early on in the game), as I needed all my gold for other stuff, and couldn't afford to buy any of Pangaea's line-troops. Luckily, I had plenty of trolls (tried to kill those guys off ASAP), drakes, wolves (once I captured the Soulstone, at least), thousands of Maenads (of course), and Foul Spawn.

Foul Spawn. That should be Pangaea's go-to free fodder, once you've got enough research. Easy to afford, once Blood Hunting gets going (so perhaps transition from recruited units to Spawn once you're able to Transform your Pans?). Generally tougher, occasionally much tougher, than Maenads, and very nasty once buffed by all that Pangaea can drop on them! Just a few Pans can summon all the meat you need with Improved Cross Breeding cast each turn, at the cost of minimal Blood Slaves. Even regular Cross Breeding might be worth it, if you've got a way to buff the fodder. And of course the rare special units can be quite outstanding.

My biggest problem with Pan in the Late Game was the lack of operational mobility. Without solid access to A or S (no Teleport or CT-ready mages), Pangaea just doesn't have that quick strike, attack anywhere, capability. But boy, they can really grind it out on the ground with anyone.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:43 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Faery trod.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Faery trod.
Yeah, getting big armies around was no problem, as I also had Stygian Paths and Gateway available in the later stages of the game. But I got jealous seeing everyone else use Teleport and Cloud Trapeze to send out a multitude of raiders and SCs all over the place, while I had to grimly plod forward the old fashioned way
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road

My daughter has "Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairie Book". Is that like Fairie Trod?
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Corporal

Kref is on a distinguished road

I think that stream of life and charm should be taken in account when fighting against elite troops, thugs and SC's, also I definetly should try minotaur lords equipped like Baalz said.
Pan is an N4 mage, N5 with strength of gaia, N6 if we were able to afford nature staff for him.
If we were able to get an S1 mage, pan also can be equipped with spell focus and an eye of the void (spell eagle eyes can compensate the loss of precission). So, if we are going to face small quantities of elites or SC, we can order some chaff (30-60) to guard 1-3 pans, and order them strength of gaia - maybe eagle eyes - multiple streams of life or charm, with good penetration bonuses.

I also wonder about ways to use Pans as melee fighters. They can get regeneration with strength of gaia, many can get reinvigoration with summon earthpower, have good magic resistance. Maybe it's possible to use tangle wines or polimorf once or two times before finally ordering equipped pan to attack (being surrounded by swines he may have time to reinvigorate because swines probabably won't do much harm to animal-awe Pan).
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the guide, I've been toying with Pangaea a lot and have been unable to make them work to my satisfaction, but something about the nation just makes me love it. I'll give it a shot!
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

No love for Demonknights?

At 5 slaves apiece they're ridiculously underpriced. And like 1/3 Pans can summon them without boosters. Fear+0 line troops are all sorts of nasty, and these guys are 22 protection cavalry with only *1* encumbrance to boot! I'd think about delaying transformation the turn or two it'll take you to pick up blood 4 reasonably early and start spamming these guys.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Curse of stones ... if you have 2-3 Pans cast it at the beginning of a big fight
Wait, you mean multiple castings of Curse of Stones STACK?

Do other battlefield-wide spells stack?
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Demon knights are very cool, but you have to keep in mind the opportunity costs. Pans are awful big mages to be summoning line units one at a time. The demon knight costs a good bit more than 5 blood slaves in this case. 10 demon knights is a useful force - but it costs you 50 blood slaves...and 100 research points, plus 350 gold in Pan upkeep if you've delayed transformation to get them, plus the gold you tied up in the initial recruitment of the pans. Demon knights are indeed solid units, but in most situations they're comparable to your buffed centaurs so don't bend over too far backwards to get them.