.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Private

davbenbak is on a distinguished road
Default campaign ger 39 OOB

I'm not as interested in historical accuracy as maximizing my intial OOB. On normal difficulty you are allowed 200 units! Seems like in the old version you were only allowed 25 formations so there was a lot more balancing of quality v.s. quantity. I'm playng the long campaign (70 games) so I don't mind buying some cheapies up front and upgrading them later but I don't want to get wiped out too soon since after dealing with the Polish the French have some pretty effective armour units. Any suggestions? I usually use my support points for off board artillery, transport type units and cannon fodder infantry.
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: campaign ger 39 OOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbenbak View Post
I'm not as interested in historical accuracy as maximizing my intial OOB. On normal difficulty you are allowed 200 units! Seems like in the old version you were only allowed 25 formations so there was a lot more balancing of quality v.s. quantity. I'm playng the long campaign (70 games) so I don't mind buying some cheapies up front and upgrading them later but I don't want to get wiped out too soon since after dealing with the Polish the French have some pretty effective armour units. Any suggestions? I usually use my support points for off board artillery, transport type units and cannon fodder infantry.
Your post has been moved to the campaigns forum, where this sort of discussion is on-topic, not the TO&E which is about historical formation organisation and the nuts and bolts of unit data.

You may see your question answered in existing posts in this forum, but I am sure others will jump in.

The little 25 unit max for cores has been gone for a long time, since the maximum unit count is 1000 and not the original games 200(?.

You do not have to "buy some cheapies to upgrade" in camo games, since we allow the expanding and selling-off of core units, unlike the original SP games, where unless you filled out your quota of core units with say trucks to convert to useful units later, you were stuck with that core number of elements the entire campaign.

Andy
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Private

davbenbak is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Just goes to show how long it's been since I played the original, which I still have somewhere in a box in the garage. Now I see the expand core units you were talking about. I didn't realize you could sell them off as well which is great as my 88's become less usefull late in the game.

Last edited by davbenbak; March 9th, 2009 at 08:50 AM..
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbenbak View Post
Thanks. Just goes to show how long it's been since I played the original, which I still have somewhere in a box in the garage. Now I see the expand core units you were talking about. I didn't realize you could sell them off as well which is great as my 88's become less useful late in the game.

Yep - the usual "Germans must have 88s and especially I need to use those truck mounted ones they only made 18 off, and never bothered to make any more (for some strange reason)" (yawns)

see my post in this thread for a more practical historical alternative for Char B reduction:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41943

or my post in this thread:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...highlight=char

and my post #26 in this thread:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...highlight=char

By the time you meet KV in Russia, you have access to 15 50L42 APCR rounds per panzer 3, and those shoot KV through the side from 2-300M just fine. Only problem is getting there (use terrain masking, smoke and other tactical means. or just wait for the beggars to come to you )

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Mobhack; March 9th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: spellink
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Listen to the Andy-man! He knows his stuff. In regards to what kit you should get, you might want to check out this (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42009) thread for ideas on infantry. In regards to tanks and armoured kit, don't overballance your armour against your infantry. If you do build a heavy tank core, make sure you pick up infantry in the support.

Howard Tayer
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road

for infantry iwould suggest just to buy the normal infatry group all thoose special units dont give to much benefit for their cost.
Bolster upyourinf with somme mmg and mortars and they are tough to beat by enemy infantry.