The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:20 PM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game here!

I suggest that religious should be Banned because EVERY sane person will take it. Without it there will be more diVersion in empire designs. However, I accept whatever you decide. Also I remind that asking AI to surrender should be Banned. I know that because Last game I got few empires rather easy that way (it wasn't even fun anymore).

[ February 02, 2004, 16:22: Message edited by: Karibu ]
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:46 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Karibu:
Also I remind that asking AI to surrender should be Banned. I know that because Last game I got few empires rather easy that way (it wasn't even fun anymore).
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to address that issue, but surrender will be off. Not only for AI purposes but also for humans. If a human sees he is going to get whooped and he doesn't want to continue on, he can simply withdraw and the rest of his empire will be ran by the AI and people will be able to plunder it and take what they can for themselves. (ie, greed is encouraged in those situations)

I'm still a little torn between what to do with religous. I will wait for more feedback before a final decision is made. If it is Banned I think we should just mod out the talisman and keep the other facilities available to those who want to spend the points to get them.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:41 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

if a human player is going to get hammered... they should surrender to the attacker....

if it is more than 2 empires attacking they can work out the details... and if their not happy attack each other ....

I vote for surrender... Why drag it out ???

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

It doesn't matter to me if Religious is in or not. If it is, then I'm taking it.

However, I do vote that the option for player to see all systems be turned off. Otherwise the planets screen will be too crowded to be of much use in sending colony ships quickly.

A notable side effect of being able to see all systems would be that it would also let us see where ring/sphereworld were constructed and any planet name changes before we've even visited the system.

But if you like that idea, then I suggest that you turn on "view all scores", so that we can all marvell at the size of each others' Doom Fleet.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:40 AM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

My humble opinions.

Surrender; OK to the player who hammers you but only when you are truly done for (riot problems).
Make any (hopefully there will be none) early abandoned empires free game, but make it illegal to ask them for surrender.

Religious; I really don't care one way or the other. Just wanted to make a point of no *****ing (sorry Tesco ) by those brave souls that didn't take it. If we use a no Talisman mod, I may spend the 1500 points just for the Nature Shrine anyway.

I do like the no Training option (ban Advanced Mil. Science) but then we have to ban (or mod) Psychic too.

Turtling is for cowards. The Horde will always keep a door (or two) open. Beer and Pretzels for everyone.
(BTW: Beer is a class of Baseships, Pretzels are Dreads )

Don't like Spoo's idea of "view all scores" at all, but I would not have a problem with leaving the Position or even the Score viewable on PBW. Getting info about the other guys empires is half the fun.

And absolutely no "all systems can be seen by all players".
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

You can't just make it "illegal" for them to surrender because surrender can't be refused and the AI WILL surrender.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM

General

Quote:
Surrender; OK to the player who hammers you but only when you are truly done for (riot problems).
Make any (hopefully there will be none) early abandoned empires free game, but make it illegal to ask them for surrender.
I agree with this 100% but the point that P-D brings out comes into play here. If the AI surrenders then you have no choice but to accept it. Hopefully we won't have any problems with AI as long as everyone keeps with this game. But I think that if it comes down to someone needing to surrender then they should just gift all that they have to you. It shouldn't take but a few minutes to go through and be click-happy and select all their ships and planets. Whatever is left after that is open for all to plunder.

Religious; I would like more input still before final decision is made. I am sure some of us will take religious even if the talisman is taken out due to as Primitive brought out the Nature Shrine

Quote:
I do like the no Training option (ban Advanced Mil. Science) but then we have to ban (or mod) Psychic too.
I may not be seeing something here. Why would we have to ban or mod Psychic if we ban Advanced Mil. Science? It's probably rather obvious but I just am not seeing it right now.

Quote:
Don't like Spoo's idea of "view all scores" at all, but I would not have a problem with leaving the Position or even the Score viewable on PBW. Getting info about the other guys empires is half the fun.
I won't turn on the view all scores option. I do not like the fact that you can gain knowledge that detailed in-game. In this type of game you could end up using that to pick and choose who you can fight against and have a decent shot at winning.
I'm not sure about the position and score option being on on PBW even. I may end up turning that option on though.

Quote:
And absolutely no "all systems can be seen by all players".
Agreed. This was a mistake that I made in RTH1 that I won't make again. The same is for saving the map, you were able to save the map and look at it to find out where all the sphereworlds were and so forth. Won't happen this time around.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok:
quote:

I may not be seeing something here. Why would we have to ban or mod Psychic if we ban Advanced Mil. Science? It's probably rather obvious but I just am not seeing it right now.

The Psychic training facilities

They train all ships/fleets within the system and will still be available after Advanced Military Science is disabled.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by primitive:
]The Psychic training facilities

They train all ships/fleets within the system and will still be available after Advanced Military Science is disabled.
Oh! Man, I guess that shows how long it has been since I have played with a Psychic race.

I think we will end up playing with a small mod for this game. Modding out the talisman (should that be the decision) so that the rest of the Religious tree is available for anyone to use. Also modding out the training centers in the Psychic tree as well.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with training? It's not that hard to keep track of with waypoints and such. Plus, If a player wants to be lazy they can just take Psychic.

If you take away Psychic's training facility, the trait becomes very poor.

I think we should deviate from a stock game as little as possible. Barring that, we should just switch to a full mod where issues like the Talisman have already been addressed.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.