.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Donation campaign for Gandalf to fund a new se

We ought to set up a Dom 4 fund.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I'm glad someone started talking some sense.

Though, maybe IW could tease us with a little bit of info on the new project, something to make us salivate so we can get our minds off of a Dom4, and fantasize about whatever this other game might be. Unless it's not a game..... If the "secret project" is a database manager for salespeople, or automated thermostat software - HEADS WILL ROLL! O.O
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MaxWilson said:
"Ick!" is that way in English, too. "Ick!" <=> "Yuck!" <=> "Ewww!"

-Max
Shouldn't ICK be pronounced eek? Which would make it similar in meaning to "eek", which is very different from yuck or eww.
And besides the chet makes it sound a whole lot worse
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
The devs have stated often that $$$ does not drive them nearly as much as fun. The conversations in this forum (good and bad) do more toward getting things done or dropped than arguments about profits. If you search back thru comments by Kristoffer O and Johan K for +fun +develop +dominions you will see some pretty hefty rants on the subject.

Positive/Negative reinforcement has done much to shape our favorite game. Ive tried to hint but some ears are deaf. Ive seen some great conversations where the devs joined in at the beginning, then along comes some strongly worded "logic" on why it would be stupid not to have it done. The devs quit the thread and the idea dies while other nicely requested or praised suggestions move forward. And unfortunately the same people are often involved. Some people are very capable at getting changes done by the devs, and some are very capable at getting their favorite desires for the game killed. Whatever someones opinion is on the way the devs operate, they have been very clear about it a number of times so its either learn it or lump it. (sorry, turning off my own little rant now, Not aimed at you specifically HB)

Unless the fund was an effort to buy them out and move it to someplace like Microsoft. Ive seen some toungue-in-cheek comments by the devs along those lines.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The devs have stated often that $$$ does not drive them nearly as much as fun.
Translation: Gather $$$ and hire a clown.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually Ive often thought about sending beer and pizza to the development parties (maybe with a not-so subtle thanks-in-advance for them working on my favorite wishlist item)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lch said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The devs have stated often that $$$ does not drive them nearly as much as fun.
Translation: Gather $$$ and hire a clown.
made me laugh out loud.

I recall reading KO (I think) state directly in response to "why isn't this in the game?" that "because people complain about it too much and that makes it not fun to put in."

Eastern European women are a lot of fun. We should start a thread about Eastern European women and Dom4; that would get the ball moving.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:

Eastern European women are a lot of fun. We should start a thread about Eastern European women and Dom4; that would get the ball moving.
You never met my grandmother, an experience that I guarantee would permanently alter that opinion.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Quote:
MaxWilson said:
"Ick!" is that way in English, too. "Ick!" <=> "Yuck!" <=> "Ewww!"

-Max
Shouldn't ICK be pronounced eek? Which would make it similar in meaning to "eek", which is very different from yuck or eww.
And besides the chet makes it sound a whole lot worse
Nope, it's an exclamation of disgust, "ick" rhymes with "sick." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ick

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Expressing our gratitude to the Devs.

If I had the means, I would fly to Sweden, toast the Devs as eloquently as I'm capable of, with the most expensive liquor, and buy them the best meal in the finest restaurant. This game has added a lot to my life, and I am very grateful. It makes me think more deeply, write better, learn more about the world, and meet more good people than I otherwise would have. I hope Kristoffer and Johan will read this, because you both should know that your efforts are worth a lot more to me than money. You've managed to add a piece that was missing to my world. You've merged myth and history and fantasy and literature into a whole, and made them fun to become involved with. I'm a poor white boy from backwoods Pennsylvania, and because of Dom3 I know more about African history than I do about the game of Soccer (sorry Soccer fans-as an aside, I can't stand American football.).

I don't know or understand in what ways the Devs feel unappreciated on this forum, but it's certainly not a universal sentiment. I hope I personally haven't done anything to offend, but if I have I was mistaken, and I deeply appologise. I've had some experience with gaming forums though, and to my eyes, this one's far and away the most considerate, earnest, and all around exceptional.

Johan, Kristoffer, you guys are the best. You're responsive, you update your game regularly, and you're pleasant to talk to in all cases. Your game itself is great, but you're a real pleasure to have as the creators of it.

I think it's hard for a lot of people to express themselves well, or even to avoid being an ***, but people care about your game. Do I think people should say it more often? Yes I do, but they say it in other ways too. I see it in the number of mods, Edi's databases, Gandalf's servers and the quick donations that were made, our three new moderators who came out of this forum, and all of the guides to various nations, and the way people have fun-and put a real effort into-posting about mooses and kittens and everything else imaginable. Even the suggestions for improvement-because that's still time and effort someone's taking to become involved in your project. It may at times seem demanding, or even envious-and perhaps it is-but it's also people gathering together and wanting to build on the magnificent foundation you've so generously supplied.

You've created a good game, and a good place to be, and it makes people happy-it makes me happy, and I'm very thankful. Johan, Kristoffer, I don't have the money to fly to Sweden and do it properly-forgive me, I have a wife and a mortgage-but I'll drink to you today, my friends, my teachers, my good fortune to have met you.