This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old August 30th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Active defence systems? (once again)

Question is:
Shouldn't the various active protection systems (VIRSS/Arena...) be considered some upgraded abilities in most (all?) cases?

* First, to this day these systems only engage incoming missiles. Technical evidence shows that both types, particularly the destructive CM (Arena/Drozd) work at least as well against unguided projectiles, particularly AT rockets. This is confirmed by the fact that the Russian Drozd system, when first tested in Afghanistan, was engaged mostly against the rebel's unguided RPG-7s and derivates and scores a high success rate.

So shouldn't these systems be given some capability (maybe lesser due to smaller launch flash and absence of giveaways like radio transmission or laser pointer) against unguided projectiles like infantry rocket launchers, and maybe HEAT/HE tank and RLR rounds? Sadly some of these weapons don't have a dedicated weapon class, which would surely make things harder.

* Second point is about point-defence against infantry. There again, most if not all of the active defence systems (destructive) have the secondary use of protecting the AFV against close-by enemy troops. This is pictured in-game f.e. by the Galix weapon mounted on the latest French Leclerc tanks (by the way, this weapon is part of the tank's protection system, meaning that such A/P charges can also be fitted to any VIRSS-type systems). Even the charges of the Arena system can be command-launched and detonated by the tank commander for this very case.

To sum it up: shouldn't the systems modelled as "ARENA" in the game give the equipped AFV some additional protection against infantry, at least some chance of repelling assaults (maybe only lessenning the chance of successful assault)?

Thanks for any answer about this.

Regards,
Plasma
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM

Corporal

Alpha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Active defence systems? (once again)

my knowledge on this area is too limited to give answers, but interesting thought, it reminds me on th ww2 "NVW" which tigers and MKIVs had ( also panther g ), from what i read they weren´t this effective
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Alpha, I've just checked on this system.

My point was that the very same automatic missile-crushing self-defence system which gives a unit an EW rating and the ability to fend off ATGMs is also able (in the same package, without any modification) to repel, in some expent, infantry assaults.
The NVW in itself or the Leclerc's "Frag-GALIX" are stand-alone anti-infantry systems which can therefore be pictured as weapons. On the other hand, if you have to add such a weapon to each ARENA-equipped tank and AFV, you'll end up having to make drastic choices, particluarly with Russian missile-firing tanks and BMP-3s.

This being why I thought that an additional defence against assaulting infantry could be added along these systems (EW rating, once again) without too much worries (well, the amount of worry is Andy's decision I guess ).
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:19 AM

Corporal

Alpha is on a distinguished road

imho these systems are useless.

protection against inf is inf.

if you have own inf they are in danger
from the tanks systems.

if you have no inf, stay away from
enemy inf ( at least those that have rpg
panzerfausts and the like )...