.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lost in Time and Space?

One of the nasty things about non-R'lyeh units becoming lost in time and space is that when the return, they land in a random province. Any random province, including water. So if your god is wandering around up there, when he comes back he might splash down in the middle of the ocean, and if he can't breathe underwater, well ... at least you can call him back now.

Also in addition to the insanity, you've got a chance of +1S. Does anyone know if you can get this if you have no astral? It would kind of make you a little vulnerable to Magic Duels.

20 insanity is not so bad, you still get to tell him what to do 80% of the time.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer O View Post
You are supposed to fight in disco light. IIRC there was a screenshot of this occurence sometime.
I thought that was from a Dreams of R'lyeh battle.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
If you're banished to Cocytos or Inferno or happen to end up there in some other way, or if you're getting lost in the Void, your unit becomes "lost in time and space". AFAIK you are being randomly attacked by enemies, and you have a chance to break free every turn, though I'm not sure right now what the roll looks like. If you manage to stay alive and break free, you re-appear in a random province, which counts like normal movement. (in enemy territory, you attack, you can drown in the sea etc.) The game does have special provinces and battle conditions for these three provinces, but somehow you can never see the fights appearing in them, which probably was a decision later on.
I've always just had my units pop out of the void or hell, and never seen any battles there. I think all my units eventually came back, they never just died there.
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
I've always just had my units pop out of the void or hell, and never seen any battles there. I think all my units eventually came back, they never just died there.
You know, when you say you -think- one thing, and then state -never- the obvious, it comes off a bit misleading.

I'm pretty certain that in all of the games that I played, I've won/quit some with commanders still "Lost in Time and Space". I'm not sure that there is any way to know if they're dead, other than a pretender or a prophet. I've noticed that less powerful beings (ie- weaker than a Tart or a pretender) often come back with afflictions, which could imply combat of some kind.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM

General

Okay, how's this?

My units have never died when lost in time and space (I think).

But I'm less certain now, since you say yours came back with new afflictions.

Oh, wait: My units nearly always are scripted for returning (the lost in time and space ones). And as I remember, they either land in an enemy province with 2 pearls left and cast returning, or land in a province of mine and don't use the pearls.

Now ... was this before or after I started giving my void gate guys 4 pearls instead of 2? I've got no idea.

But if they were in combat while lost, they should show up in my capitol with no pearls, instead of in an enemy province. Unless Returning doesn't work in the lost in time and space combats.
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
But if they were in combat while lost, they should show up in my capitol with no pearls, instead of in an enemy province. Unless Returning doesn't work in the lost in time and space combats.
Now THAT is a very good point. I am completely confused now, because even Johan seems to think battles occur in these places. It's a grand mystery.
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM

Private

Grottnikk is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just had an idea... Could I somehow wish for less insanity? Just curious Or perhaps just say "sanity" when typing in the wish?

Oh, and what happens if you put in something for a wish and the game doesn't have an answer for it? You don't blow up, do you?
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

sometimes...

usually just nothing happens. other than having wasted 100 pearls
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeolept View Post
sometimes...

usually just nothing happens. other than having wasted 100 pearls
Nope, it won't finalize the command, it says - "You cannot Wish for that.". Then you get to try to issue orders again.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

oh yeah... been a long time since i've wished for something you can't wish for