ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old October 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Corporal

francoisD is on a distinguished road
Default sizes of german fortifications

as i german in LC, i will soon have to defend.
i have checked in advance the various fortification units, and i wonder if the sizes are correct.

indeed the sizes of the units with an AT gun vary from 2 to 4 including 3...

if the sizes are correct, are their costs correct? because the fortified house has a poor gun, poor armour, and costs almost the same as the other pillboxes?

thanks!
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sizes of german fortifications

Bunkers / forts can be any size. Having a variation is normal for all OOB's

The cost calculator treats all forts for all nations the same way and uses a wide range of factors to arrive at a cost.

As well the "fortified house" is THE cheapest "fort" in the German OOB. There is no problem with any of this. If you think the fortified house not such a good deal then don't buy it.

Don
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoisD View Post
as i german in LC, i will soon have to defend.
i have checked in advance the various fortification units, and i wonder if the sizes are correct.

indeed the sizes of the units with an AT gun vary from 2 to 4 including 3...

if the sizes are correct, are their costs correct? because the fortified house has a poor gun, poor armour, and costs almost the same as the other pillboxes?

thanks!
I'd Advise you NOT to buy ANY fixed gun enplacements and fortificatios, blitzkrieg tactics and armored/motorized force crushes it, buy machineguns and AT guns and set them in a place where you can get a truck in and move your defense, remember, PLAN your defence, fallback positions and delaying points(where you can get your planes or heavy arty to land) are a must for any kind of mobile defence, having a "fire brigade" does help as well, 1 platoon at least, and no more than a company, they MUST have transports, hope your lines are better now
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:07 AM

Corporal

thanks for the replies

yes, i know what is a mobile defense , i had to play several delay-type battles

but for the defensive battles, i plan to buy lots of mines and a few fortifications to help retreating my core forces when needed...
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Corporal

i also have to add that i need a few units with a hard head. indeed i am the guys who play vs elite ai, and therefore their artillery units are able to hit you about every turn or so, while changing their target (like your units in fact, when they are elite)

i am considering myself as an average player. when i played vs standard ai (at 70 exp) their artilly units were able to hit you about every 3 turns when changing their target. i was able to shoot and run at that speed without casualties from their arty almost the whole battle.

but i am not so skilled that i am able to shoot and retreat constantly when delaying/ defensing. and when the ai's artillery lands on you, it does massive amounts of damage...

so i rely on fortifications to let me breathe a little bit to reorganize my forces....

otherwise i am dead ;-)
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Fortifications are not a great deal of use really. They cannot move, so if the enemy go North and you have forted up South, they are out of the game from the start. Smoke blinds them and they cannot move to adjust. So the only fortifications I ever use are the MG pits with 360 degree fields of fire, as a backup for infantry positions. Fortifications are really only of use in scenarios - where the designer can happily "go Maginot" with them !

Buy mines and dragon's teeth. Set the dragons teeth up to channel the enemy AI into a designed kill zone by leaving gaps in the D/T belt where you have set up QRF "gold spots" and some mines, and have units covering with flanking fire while shielded by a town wood or hill from any frontal fire.

Andy
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

OR.. your could reduce the size of your core so you don't have to jack the AI up to elite just to stay even. All of "problems" you encounter are the direct result of your decision to "play big".

Don
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Corporal

thanks for the tips andy. i am eager to begin defensive battles to try many things

just a question: how do you know that a fortification with MG can shoot at 360 degrees?

for drg, yes i am facing more problems when fighting elite units, but this is much more challenging and interesting too.
my previous battle was an assault vs standard troops, and the game was pretty borring...
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoisD View Post
thanks for the tips andy. i am eager to begin defensive battles to try many things

just a question: how do you know that a fortification with MG can shoot at 360 degrees?

for drg, yes i am facing more problems when fighting elite units, but this is much more challenging and interesting too.
my previous battle was an assault vs standard troops, and the game was pretty borring...
A fort with a turret can fire 360 degrees. See tank turret panzerturm type bunkers in WW2, and the MG & Milan pits in MBT (about the only one I have ever used) - should be some examples in WW2 I think. See unit #200 in the UK MBT OOB and note the little MG "turret" above it.

Andy
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:02 AM

Corporal

thanks!