.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 10th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CENTAG 78 still ok under latest version

I just looked at the dates of the original files and this was created in 2002-2003 but ONE .DAT file was altered and saved in 2010 so this is a DOS campaign that may or may not have been converted to the windows format with Campaign Hack in 2010 so this is a little more serious that it appeared at first and likely why the original core is not showing in the campaign but it will from an extracted scenario...... A LOT has changed in the game in the last 12 years . The fact it even loads is remarkable
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juramentado View Post
I resurrected an old 1.5 campaign CENTAG 78. Still works and has aged nicely under the latest game engine changes. Some minor oddities, ZSU-23/4 shows up as a mobile SAM launcher, but nothing show stopping. I've been looking for more Cold War stuff, esp., Fulda Gap and Cavalry type actions, and it's great this one stills works.

When you first loaded this on your machine did you see the fixed core units ??
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Update.

I may have something soon. I've had to rebuild it from the ground up using the extracted scenarios and now the core formations show up ...so that's a step in the right direction.

Don
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK, Lets try this.

Centag 78 has been rebuilt from scratch using the original as a guide . If anyone would like to playtest this I would be very interested in feedback. If it plays well it can go into the next update. I have no experience with the original so I don't know what was intended or expected and despite developing the game for a decade and a half I've NOT had the urge ( or time ) to build a campaign let alone attempted to rebuild a 12 year old one I'm unfamiliar with so the learning curve was steep and it was not like maintaining an existing campaign ( as I hoped at the outset of this little adventure )

The first scenario is interesting in that you REALLY need to not get yourself backed into a corner..... shoot and scoot Brave, Brave Sir Robin.......

EDIT...... played the first scenario of the campaign..... no issues at all. I got a draw which is about as much as you can expect to get without divine intervention. Lost 10 men, one tank, one APC . Both were the result of waiting a bit too long before bugging out. I believe it's possible to play that scenario out, and inflict serious casualties and take none of your own with some skill at a lot of luck but even If I'd managed to do that I don't think it would have bumped me up to Marginal victory but it would have been very close ( and it would be nice to not lose a unit and that Patton handed away over half my total lost)

Don
Attached Files
File Type: zip CENTAG78 Revisited.zip (653.3 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by DRG; March 10th, 2015 at 07:52 PM..
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Private

Juramentado is on a distinguished road

Hi Don,

I swear I didn't change the DAT file. You're talking to someone who can barely navigate the OOB Editor, so it must have been that way when I pulled it off WarGamer. I did see the core units at one point. I can try to playtest it since I'm almost half-way through the older version of the Campaign Now, so I sort of know what the behavior is like at least up to that point.

Regards,

-Armando
The Following User Says Thank You to Juramentado For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Probably what happened was someone used CampaignHack to convert it to windows before they posted it as only that DAT file is changed when that event occurs but I never saw the core until I rebuilt it
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Corporal

whdonnelly is on a distinguished road

Juramentado and Don,
Couldn't wait to play this! Reminds of the days when I actually bought computer games and rushed home to play them. This was fun, and it runs great on a surface 3 with Windows 8.1. Just a few turns in with no issues.
Thanks guys!
Will
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

BTW, if you lose the first scenario this message will appear so.... FYI...otherwise you'll have no way of knowing you can't just take a couple of potshots and bug out

You have been utterly unsuccessful in accomplishing your mission objectives.*
Your failure has jeopardized the tactical situation in your sector

Note - Soviet unit costs have been drastically reduced to tailor the victory conditions for this scenario.* To achieve a draw or a victory, your force must cause some causalities on the enemy and have a majority of your units survive either by moving off the playing area, hiding, or total destruction of enemy units.*
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I recall playing the original campaign once, but having issues with some of the edited units (1st Sgt etc.) regaining their default crew size during subsequent scenarios in the campaign thus not fitting into the vehicles provided for them.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 10th, 2015, 11:45 PM

Corporal

Steves308 is on a distinguished road

I remember playing this campaign years ago. It was fun, and in most of the scenarios, your core force is more like an auxiliary force, as the aux forces are much larger than the Cav platoon you start with.

Don, I downloaded the file you uploaded yesterday and started the campaign. The first scenario would start with no core force. Looking at campaign in the campaign editor, I saw the core force was set to "Open", but no build points had been specified. I changed the core force to "Fixed", started the campaign and the Cav platoon core force magically appeared. I didn't get the chance to actually try and play more than the first turn of the first scenario, but the scenario did cycle through to turn 2.

Steve