.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Pantokrator!

No fighting in the war room!
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I will not continue this discussion with you anymore, because I am beginning to realize from reading a few other threads that the argument has nothing to do with the word at all.

We have a difference of opinions and to top it off, when you tried to call me out on what the definition of the word really is, I found evidence in your attempt to troll me that my definition is acceptable.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I don't see anything in the link posted that implies that the title "Pantokrator" is exclusive to Christianity. It means "Almighty," which makes it a fine word for the Dominions precursor-God. Using a word with real-world historical associations adds flavor (much better than "the Precursor" or "the Elder God" for instance), but if you're hinting that Dominions 3 is supposed to fit within some kind of mutant Christian theology I think you'll have to present stronger arguments than just a name.

Edit: I don't mean to sound overly skeptical. Perhaps I mean, "Do you think you could restate your point, please? Because I think I'm not seeing it clearly."

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Where in any of this did I say that I thought the word was exclusively tied to Christianity? The _etymology_ and _history_ of the word do seem to be, which is why I call it anachronistic.

Do you really think I would have posted a link to a site without reading it, or checking on the issues at hand? Yes, it means 'Almighty'; it says so on the site I linked to, and I have no qualms about that. As I've stated previously before. Also, _I_ did not bring Christianity into this at all. The site meantions it, yes, but that is hardly a religious source. If I wanted to cite religious sources, believe me, I could.

I don't see why people are thinking I'm trying to persuade them of something I'm not.

*sigh*

I can tell you, Foodstamp, that yes, the argument has to do with the application of the term to prechristian deities. That seems anachronistic from the sources I've read; if that is not true, please give me a source and I'll be happy with it.

I am honestly not understanding any of this brouhaha.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Okay, I think I see. "My issue is not the who of the application, it is the when. It feels anachronistic to use the term to refer to pre-Christian religions if the term did not come into usage until the Christian era. That is why I am currently checking to see exactly when and to what the term has been applied in history." Makes perfect sense now.

It was the initial "Er" post that threw me off in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Well, this is a bizarre turn of events...

Um...yeah

*cough*

Ok...so...does anybody *else* have any cool ideas about a really powerful neutral Pretender and nation for use in a mod?
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:56 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think a super AI nation made from the best sacreds of all other nations might be fun. You could even give it multiple national pretenders as commanders using map commands.

But as for the overall pretender,... a modded form of the panto from Mytheology would be cool.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

We're not talking about the what the name means people! that wasn't the question! he was asking what we thought the previous Pantokrator might take as physical form, how you guys managed to have an argument over this I'll never know, if you want to continue arguing make a different topic about it and not in the mods section.

As for me! I think an idea for a previous Pantokrators appearance would be a large divine giant, something with the power to wipe out entire armies by himself, like a giant armour clad titan.

you could also have it if you wished, that he was banished to the Inferno or the Void and that disappearance strengthened the other pretenders, and when the previous Pantokrator returns he is sickly and twisted beyond measure.

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
VedalkenBear said:
I don't see why people are thinking I'm trying to persuade them of something I'm not.
Because you never stated your point, or even what in the first two posts you disagreed with.

Quote:
I can tell you, Foodstamp, that yes, the argument has to do with the application of the term to prechristian deities. That seems anachronistic from the sources I've read; if that is not true, please give me a source and I'll be happy with it.
Comparing the dom3 pantocrator with Ymir from norse mythology doesn't seem that odd to me... a matter of opinion I guess.

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
*cough*

Ok...so...does anybody *else* have any cool ideas about a really powerful neutral Pretender and nation for use in a mod?
A giant wizard-warrior-poet with 4-5 lvl 9 magic paths and 400 hp. Default weapon could be Harvest blade, like the artifact but without berserk.

Quote:
Sombre said:
I think a super AI nation made from the best sacreds of all other nations might be fun. You could even give it multiple national pretenders as commanders using map commands.

But as for the overall pretender,... a modded form of the panto from Mytheology would be cool.
Yeah, the nation could have sacred elites from all parts of the world: pangea white centaurs, ea vanheim sacred infantry, ea T'ien sword dancers (but not vans or niefel jarls).

And perhaps some tower shield guys from pythium or MA ermor as non-sacreds, since they seem to be the best organized armies.

Quote:
Juzza said:
if you want to continue arguing make a different topic about it and not in the mods section.
But the side discussion is so much easier to take part in than coming up with ideas

Quote:
(...), and when the previous Pantokrator returns he is sickly and twisted beyond measure.
Awsome idea. Explains why he's less powerfull.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

Thanks mivayan!

I personally don't like the idea of having sacreds from other nations, if they were changed slightly it would make more sense, like say for the middle age, a group of knights from Ermor predicted the decent into the death cult and left while they could discovering the previous Pantokrator and joining him!

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.