.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default is anyone interested in a really BIG game? (edited

EDITED: the original method of this game has been fixed in the latest patches and at this time is no longer possible. Sorry.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the stuff from a big game, check out
http://www.dom3minions.com/games/PvK-e-Oceania/

It started as a 79 player game (with one human player) on a 1100 province map. It is now in turn 70. It was a test game but PvK is having fun with it so its still running.

I am planning to create another 79 player game but this time it will have at least one era opened up to players (probably all of era 1) with all of the other nations set at extreme AI levels.

P.S. check out the army sizes on the scores.html and the last entries on the system load file. Kudos to Johan! The game stays below a load of 1.00 and takes 19 minutes to host. Thats good news for people wanting to host games without wanting to totally dedicate their server to doing that and nothing else.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: is anyone interested in a really BIG game?

Yes I posted this twice but it is meant as two different threads. In the general Dom3 forum I meant it as a "hey look at this" thread to just comment on the wild numbers.

This thread is meant more to get a feel on whether or not enough people would be interested in able to fill all of the early era slots. This will NOT be a blitz game. It will host once a day. It will be on a HUGE map. The final players will be well into magic so Im guessing it will not be decided entirely by armies and SC's.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

I would like to see a 79 player mp game but would also join a game with just EA human player and the rest ai.
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Sergeant

Strages Sanctus is on a distinguished road

I would love to get in to a game that got deep in to the late magic stuff. High fantasy.

But no doubt I would be severely trounced by the extreme AI; let alone the other players
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

* insert disclaimer similar to the one above about inexperience, trouncings, and similar rational stuff irrelevant to the "dream" game topic *

HELL YEAH! Sounds absolutely awesome!
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Well, I would join a MP like this, assuming 1 or 2 of my current 6 MP's have finished.

I would not bet against a impossible AI winning, especially if you kept to a 24 hr turnaround, the AI would have a considerable advantage in managing a large empire over a person. Managing a 100+ province empire every 24 hrs would tax even the most dedicateded Dom 3 player.

If you are going to do a serious MP, I would say 24hr host turns 1-40, 40+ 48hr host, 100+ 72hr host. I think I could cope with that and you might complete such a game in a year or so.
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanks. I will take these as motivation to get myself going and whip this up in a week or so.

I need to test the new fixes in the latest patch to see if it will support a maximum map. Or figure out how large I can make it without it crashing when it sends it to the players. In any case I will also try to remember to have it available for download in the old style for those with slow connections.
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Id be in. For nations i would like:
EA-Lanka
MA-Ctis
LA-Ctis
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

I think most here would play EA Lanka just because its new but what nation someone play isn't asked in this thread.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Sergeant

WSzaboPeter is on a distinguished road

I would like to join too. I pick nation when the era will be specified.